SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garden help: wrinkled bell peppers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garden help: wrinkled bell peppers Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
So, I've got about a dozen bell pepper plants that have been looking really good. Lots of fruit attaining nice size, was just waiting for them to turn yellow and red. Today I noticed splashes of color amongst the green so I take a look. They are indeed turning their respective colors butball of the peppers have suddenly wilted and wrinkled like a 95 year old field worker. What the heck happened? It's been very hot lately but they get good water about every other day. The tomatoes on one side are doing fine and the jalapeños on the other are also great.

Any hints on my poor bells?!? Been looking forward to them for weeks!

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Its been awhile for my green thumb but i always remembered peppers did well early while its cool and prefer afternoon shade. Vice versa for tomatos as they love the hot. We have some pretty good green thumbs here that can probably expand on this.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Same thing in the TatorTodd garden. Jalapenos and serranos are firm and smooth while the red bell peppers are wrinkly. All 3 varieties of peppers are producing gang busters in this hot, humid Houston summer.

My tomatoes have greatly slowed down and are just trying to survive (i.e. not setting much fruit and the fruit it does is slow growing and small). The tomatoes were producing gangbusters 3 weeks ago.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Harbor freight has a material in twenty foot length .Runs 50 dollars for 12/20 size.Called mesh weave tarp.
It is black,lets rain thru and restricts 60/70 % sunlite.
I had to do this with my peppers last year.
This year I did not plant them to sell,it was a dead market on peppers.
This year it was tomatoes all the way.
Tomatoes are covered in two places in my yard with this material and do better than in the open

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a tree directly south of my garden. I get shade from noon to three. Garden always does well. Blocks worst of the sun, lucky perfect mix. I plant sun loving stuff further from tree and shade loving stuff closer to the tree.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post