SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Giant Schnauzer???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giant Schnauzer??? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They are a very good breed. My wife's family has had five schnauzers. They are intelligent and very loyal dogs. Schnauzers are pretty decent guard dogs, they ALWAYS alert you when someone is approaching the house. I believe in Germany shepherds used German shepherds and Schnauzers in tandem because the Schnauzer was excellent at alerting the GSD when a threat was approaching and the GSD would do what it does best and protect the flock.

My in laws have had a bad run of luck with health issues with their last two schnauzers, one had cancer and the other had diabetes so make sure you get one from a reputable breeder and get a health guarantee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
You can also look at all the various dogs the crossbreed with poodles now

The "golden doodle" was the first (golden retriever and poodle) but now it's pretty much anything

It basically allows these other breeds of dogs to get rid of their shedding or some of the other less desirable traits

For example, literally yesterday, my wife was looking at these variations. We have always had Mastiffs, and are preparing to move to more land and plan to get another puppy

Well you guess it

There is a Masti-doodle

We also looked at the St Berna-doodle

Both those mixes don't shed hardly at all, and apparently barely drool (which, trust me, as a mastiff lover is something to consider)

The are Great Pyra-Doodles, Sheepa-doodles...the list is endless.

Pretty much any large breed dog out there has been designer bred with a big poodle at this point

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a Black Russian Terrier. Very similar to a Giant Schnauzer but a little bigger. Very nice dog. Calm and likes to play with the grandkids but also very protective when needs to be. I believe it is the choice of dog for the Russian military and police.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
My neighbour found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the chemist and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the chemist and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week."

Gold

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I would go with a Standard Schnauzer. Large enough for protection, intelligent and great with kids.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have had a couple of standard Poodles over the years. As Jim says, very intelligent, no shedding (but regular clipping required), and the meanest set of teeth I've seen in just about any breed. They are protective. Though we never trained ours for guard duty, I suspect it would be very easy.

Other large(ish) breeds to consider are any of the wire coated breeds, as wire coats tend not to shed much at all. Such as the Giant Schnauzer you are considering, an Airedale Terrier, an Irish Wolfhound or a Russian Wolfhound (Borzoi). We have had two wire coated Ibizan Hounds (they also come smooth coated). Both were wonderful pets and clowns, but I'm not sure they would work out for protection duty.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
My neighbour found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the chemist and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the chemist and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week."

I'm stealing this!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't agree with the suggestions to get a "something"-doodle, aka overpriced mongrel. There are plenty of purebred dogs from reputable breeders that are striving to maintain valuable traits and instincts rather then create a cash cow.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

I'm not sure what we will do. I typically like to look for purebreds that might not have a good home, or a chance at a good home.

My BT was the runt of the litter, and looks nothing like an AKC BT. Most people think she's a French Bulldog. She's an awesome dog though, can kick any kid's ass in soccer.

Just exploring options...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by provident:
Sorry, I can't agree with the suggestions to get a "something"-doodle, aka overpriced mongrel. There are plenty of purebred dogs from reputable breeders that are striving to maintain valuable traits and instincts rather then create a cash cow.

There are rescue “mongrels” too. Roll Eyes

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are rescue mongrels, but you don't need to mortgage your house to get one, and they aren't being purposely created just to make a buck.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, there are rescue mongrels, but you don't need to mortgage your house to get one, and they aren't being purposely created just to make a buck.

And my point is, the purposely-created "whatever-doodles" make fine rescues, and doing so doesn't give a dime to the breeder mills.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I will never pay more than the rescue fee from shelters for a dog. There are plenty of awesome dogs waiting to be rescued.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

While I certainly am opposed to puppy mills and backyard breeders who don't know what they're doing, I don't see the need for a blanket dismissal of a new breed or breeds. All of today's "pure" breeds are the result of selective breeding done in the past by humans. They weren't products of divine creation, or evolution.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post