SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Giant Schnauzer???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giant Schnauzer??? Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Pros/cons?

I've always had big dogs, up until my current dog, a Boston Terrier.

Previous dog was a Rottweiler, which was my wife's first pet. She loved him, but hated the shedding. She agreed to the BT awhile back, and it's a great dog, but it's no man-stopper.

I'm "considering" getting another dog. Primary purpose being a family pet, with a secondary purpose being a guard dog.

I've always like the breed, and I prefer a working breed with a docked tail, but shedding would be a deal breaker for my wife.

Another option is a Doberman, another breed I've always liked.

Anybody own one or care to comment?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I used to date a girl with a giant schnauzer. I liked it just fine.

Seriously, have you considered a standard poodle? They don't shed and are very bright. They can readily be trained to be guard dogs or whatever.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

LOL!!! Big Grin

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

You didn't notice the adams apple? Wink

I puppy sat a poodle puppy from 7 weeks to 7 months when he went to his forever home. He was THE smartest dog I ever met. Picked up things insanely fast. He was an awesome companion too. The fact that they don't shed and are pretty much hypoallergenic was a bonus.

I miss that little guy.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My neighbour found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the chemist and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the chemist and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Schnauzers are great dogs, we have two miniatures. Love that they don't shed and they are very friendly, smart and mind well. We have had them for the last decade and will replace them with the same breed when they are gone.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
There’s also the Giant Schnoodle.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
the Schnauzer cut makes them look mean/grumpy even if they are not....this includes the miniature ones.

Jack looks less mean in his Halloween costume

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We give ours sport cuts and not traditional schnauzer cuts. We like the shorter cut much better.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
My dad is on his second giant schnauzer. In my opinion, they're great dogs. Very smart and can develop lots of naughty habits if neglected. Our family's first giant, Halston, formerly belonged to a family friend. This person (moron) got the dog because he "looked cool" and then proceeded to completely ignore the animal. Moron was then shocked that Halston became aggressive and destructive out of bordem.

Our second giant has been a complete 180 degree switch from Halston and proof of how hands on training at a young age is imperative. Bentley (don't judge - my dad named the dog, not me) is the sweetest, gentlest dog I've ever encountered. He's actually very conscious of his size, which is excellent because he's 120 pounds. My cousin has a Min-Pin who Bentley is very gentle around; yet with some of the bigger dogs, he knows he won't hurt them. Same with people - he's pretty careful around small kids.

Unfortunately, I believe giants are prone to bone cancers along with requisite hip and joint issues common in large dogs. That's eventually what did the first one in. So far, Bentley has been fine but I would be lying if I said we didn't think twice about getting another giant after losing the first one when he was only 8.

Both dogs definitely picked their human (my dad, not my stepmom). Both dogs refused to listen to my stepmom but will do anything my dad says. I think they respond better to a stronger personality. But they are extremely loyal and protective. They need a lot of exercise for sure. I grew up on a hobby farm so this wasn't an issue. When my folks downsided to a townhouse, Bentley adjusted very well.

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would second the suggestion of looking into a standard poodle, they are actually classified as a Working breed. They are also very intelligent, protective of their "family" without being overtly aggressive and when well raised incredible companions. Down side is they do need the owner to pay attention to the maintenance of their coat which means a daily brushing to prevent mats and grooming when needed. However coat maintenance is a basic requirement of owning any non or low shedding breed.

Another brred to look into is the Airedale Terrier, which is sort of a mid sized dog and thus a bit cheaper to feed and less likely to have hip issues. They are also hypoallergenic, intelligent, friendly and not particularly aggressive for a terrier. However intelligence and breeding to provide protection for farm produce or animals does mean that they do need good training and clear instructions while a puppy. They also need daily exercise to provied an outlet for their energy, get lazy and they can become destructive out of boredom.

PS; I am a believer in daily exercise and activity for ANY dog. You'll not only prevent the dog from becoming obese but you'll also have a dog that lives longer with a much higher quality of life throughout their lifespan.

As someone who goes out for a run every morning it really frosts me to see homes where people park their dog in the yard 24/7 because every single one of those dogs is hyper territorial and some concern me about being able to clear their fences. Which is why my LC9S is in my pocket for every single run or walk with the dog after the run. Fortunately the 120-140 lbs. Akita mix that had me carrying my SR1911-45 for half this summer seems to have been removed from that property, that dog really worried me.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I throw out another suggestion for a large dog that doesn't shed:
Airedale Terrier.

They are great dogs, extremely smart, and were even used as police dogs and "war" dogs in the past. They are not as tempramental as schnauzers, and make fantastic pets.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seriously, have you considered a standard poodle? They don't shed and are very bright. They can readily be trained to be guard dogs or whatever.

Oh my! [snickers uncontrollably]

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Have you priced one?

We looked at getting one when we got our mini last year. They were going for 2 to 3 grand.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to know a girl who really called it a schnauzer. Lol I don't think it was giant though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
secondary purpose being a guard dog.

quote:
Seriously, have you considered a standard poodle?

I wouldn't have thought it, but......

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Giant Schnauzers have unruly hair. Did she trim it herself, or have it done by a professional groomer? Sometimes one person even has to hold the Schnauzer, while the other one works the clippers.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Schnauzers. I hate Schnauzers(the dog variety). I think if you just got two more BTs you would be fine. Three of them will bring down most anything.
Or go a bit smaller w/ Pugs in numbers.
https://www.bing.com/images/se...66&selectedIndex=133

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too, used to date a girl with a giant schnauzer.
Luckily, it stretched!! Razz

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
My neighbour found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the chemist and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the chemist and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week."

When I read Shugart's post...I thought of this joke...it was one of my dad's favorites and he loved to tell it Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post