SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kayak Rack for Tacoma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kayak Rack for Tacoma Login/Join 
posted
I need a suggestion for an inexpensive Kayak rack for my Toyota Tacoma Short Bed. I made a PVC rack and used it for years but the UV got to it and it is cracking.

Posts: 245 | Location: Ventura, California | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Define "inexpensive." I have a Malone folding rack, it was $150 for a set. There are inexpensive Chinese "J" frame racks for a lot less ($50 for two sets), though they aren't as nice.

Oh, just realized this is for a pickup truck.....that's something altogether different.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cooper2011:
I need a suggestion for an inexpensive Kayak rack for my Toyota Tacoma Short Bed. I made a PVC rack and used it for years but the UV got to it and it is cracking.

If you were happy with it make another. You change oil when it's time, change the rack, it's time.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
For around $250 you can get a Harbor Freight trailer that will work for 10' kayaks. That's my plan eventually. Loading and unloading kayaks high sucks. I'd rather just hitch and go.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Try Tacoma World Forum.
KB Vodoo Bed Racks.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a short bed Tacoma and an 11.5' fishing kayak. I had a friend of weld up a bed extender that goes into my hitch. He welded two tie downs onto the sides of it and I had it sprayed with line-x.

With the tailgate down and the extender in the hitch my kayak is rock solid in the bed of my truck. This setup also allows for multiple boats to be loaded and properly secured. I thought about putting a kayak rack on top of the cab, but quickly realized it would be a pain. My play boat and creek boat were light enough to put on the roof, but for my fishing kayak the rack was my easiest option.

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using Yakima Q Towers over the rear doors of my crew cab truck and Yakima Outdoorsman towers on the bed rails. I realize that this in not the low cost option, but it gives the most adaptability for our uses.

I have seen people use one of the generic tubular lumber or ladder racks with the angled saddles. I wanted more spread between my bars and the ability to carry our big boats bull side down.

If you keep your eyes on Craigslist and eBay, you can assemble a pretty good setup for relatively low cost.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shkuhn:
I have a short bed Tacoma and an 11.5' fishing kayak. I had a friend of weld up a bed extender that goes into my hitch.

My buddy uses a store bought one like that for his Ridgeline, for about the same size boat. Works well for him and simple to load. Though I'm sure he's worried about being read ended. But it's a heck of a lot easier than getting my 14 footer on my Xterra.

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
You didn't say how long your yaks are but this has worked great for me until I bought my trailer...

http://www.harborfreight.com/t...-extender-69650.html

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
You didn't say how long your yaks are but this has worked great for me until I bought my trailer...

+1!

Before I bought my Cherokee and waaay too expensive (but awesome) assisted lift racks from Thule, Mrs.BurtonRW and I used an almost identical bed extender to carry our two Tarpon 120s in the bed of a Nissan Titan.

All I did to secure them was roll down the bed cover and run a cargo strap from one of the front tie downs, out through the carry handles in the back, and back to the opposite front tie down. They were rock solid. Took off the bed extender and locked it in the bed while we were on the water.

Very quick and very cheap.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

+1!

Before I bought my Cherokee and waaay too expensive (but awesome) assisted lift racks from Thule, Mrs.BurtonRW and I used an almost identical bed extender to carry our two Tarpon 120s in the bed of a Nissan Titan.

All I did to secure them was roll down the bed cover and run a cargo strap from one of the front tie downs, out through the carry handles in the back, and back to the opposite front tie down. They were rock solid. Took off the bed extender and locked it in the bed while we were on the water.

Very quick and very cheap.

-Rob

My wife and I both have Tarpons 120's...Great boats!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post