SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Movies - First 20 -30 minutes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies - First 20 -30 minutes Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
I've noticed over the years that with a lot of movies I only really enjoy the first 20-30 minutes (or 1/3) of many movies. It's not that I'm critical of the rest, its just that once I get to a certain point in most movies, I'm ready to move on. But that opening 20-30 I never tire of watching. Not every movie, but quite a few

Anyone else?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much I don't watch new releases anymore, they all suck, political messages and such. John WIck flicks are an exception, and Transporters. The rest-well, I get all the liberal crap I need without paying for it. And Netflix is really cheap.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Maybe your attention span has been affected by watching half-hour long TV shows.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Maybe your attention span has been affected by watching half-hour long TV shows.

It's not really an attention span issue, it is more that I think the best part of the movie is the beginning. For instance, Full Metal Jacket, I can watch the entire boot camp opening from haircuts to the MOS reading after graduation back to back, the rest of the movie is ok but that is far and above my favorite. It seems like in a lot of movies the beginning is my favorite part.

Not all movies, just some

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you're detecting a lack of writing and directing talent. They work real hard to get you interested, then stop, look around, and say, "What do we do now?"

Without a real plot and purpose, the "hook" of the movie is the only good part to watch... and you've just watched it.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
OP:
same thing happens to me
I either can't stand to stay in enforced seating that long, lose interest, or fall asleep.

Oddly enough, anything that actually requires to actively do some even minor motor skill thing can captivate for hours.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
The converse of that is the movie Flight where the first 20-30 minutes are absolute shite, but the rest of it was pretty good.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
It's not really an attention span issue, it is more that I think the best part of the movie is the beginning. For instance, Full Metal Jacket, I can watch the entire boot camp opening from haircuts to the MOS reading after graduation back to back, the rest of the movie is ok but that is far and above my favorite. It seems like in a lot of movies the beginning is my favorite part.

Not all movies, just some

That part of the movie was the closest depiction of Marine Corps boot camp ever.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
My vote is on bad writing as well. Hollywood has been building TV and movies around something that takes a smaller amount of time and fill the space with BS.

Someone can have a really good idea for about 30 minutes of space and they say turn it into an hour and a half movie. If they don't people wont pay the 10 bucks for a 30 minute movie.

Or a TV show that's worth 4 episodes but completed in 10. Think about the walking dead's first season, it was 6 episodes? Now they are how long? Pressure to fill advertising space.

Basically they have built norms around movies/TV shows that just don't exist today and they are afraid to adapt/change so the story suffers, thus your disinterest.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I really like a lot of the Netflix original programming. Thes aren't constrained to the typical movie lengths, or episodic tv pattern.

They exist not constrained by theatre, or tv commercial revenues.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post