SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travelers, experts: Lie flat seats from Hong Kong to the US?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelers, experts: Lie flat seats from Hong Kong to the US? Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
We need to fly our son home from HK for medical treatment for his back. On the long leg from HK he must have a lie flat seat.

Does anyone know of an airline that has lie flat seat in the economy or economy plus cabin?

Thanks all.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
We need to fly our son home from HK for medical treatment for his back. On the long leg from HK he must have a lie flat seat.

Does anyone know of an airline that has lie flat seat in the economy or economy plus cabin?

Thanks all.

In "economy"? Unlikely.

Possibly in business, likely first class only.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
I am back and forth 6-8 times a year. I have only seen lay flat in business/first class.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You're SOL on that, my friend.

You'll only find lie-flat seats in Business and higher.

Even Qantas' premium economy seats on their A380 fleet (which are probably the best in the business right now) recline much more than regular economy, but not even close to flat.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Talk to the potential carriers. Possibly you can get a medical discount for first/business.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Delta Business Class. It'll cost and arm and a leg, but it's the only way to fly.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Business Class and up is the only place I've seen them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. JAL has economy plus seats that recline 8 inches along with a footrest the pops up.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Also try Singapore. I understand their business class is on par with other airline's first class accommodations.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nobody.

However, contact airlines that fly that route. They will often work with medical problems.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
United, Air Canada, and Lufthansa Business Class seats are lie flat. United's new Polaris business class is particularly nice.

The one time I flew business to Japan on Delta, it didn't quite lie flat (more like a recliner that reclines about 20 to 30 deg short of lie flat), I slid down while sleeping, and I was awakened to a throbbing back.

IME, you can tell lie flat by the seat diagrams since the lie flat seats are usually at a slight angle. Here is a seat map of a United 777 showing Polaris business (lie flat) and economy plus (recliners that recline slighty more than regular economy):

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Is he doing any better?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Delta Business Class. It'll cost and arm and a leg, but it's the only way to fly.

It is indeed. You almost don't want the flight to end.

And yeah, nothing in economy (and let's not kid ourselves, those so called "economy plus" or "comfort plus" seats are really no different than basic economy) will have lie flat seats.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Is he doing any better?

Still the same, no better, no worse. I'm flying over to carry his bags and help him get home. He will have doctor's appointment set up for when he arrives.

posted Hide Post
Jeff,

No. There are only lie flat seats in Business or First. Not all lie flat seats are alike. Look for an Asian or Middle Eastern carrier. Good luck. I did not like Polaris, but loved ANA Business Class. Looks like a one way Business Class seat on JAL, Cathay Pacific or similar is going to be about $3500. If he will be going back, you may be better off buying a RT open jaw for about $4200.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
This is why when you travel abroad get travel insurance like AAA. In case of ailment or injury they will make arrangements to get you home. Sometimes that means sending a small jet. Other times that means getting you the accommodations you need on a commerical jet. I would also talk to the airlines. As long as he has something from his doctors there stating he has the disc herniation and needs law flat seats they might work with you on price. Good luck Jeff.

Are you going to take him to Mission in Asheville? If you bring him to doctors this way Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine is a good practice.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
This is why when you travel abroad get travel insurance like AAA. In case of ailment or injury they will make arrangements to get you home. Sometimes that means sending a small jet. Other times that means getting you the accommodations you need on a commerical jet. I would also talk to the airlines. As long as he has something from his doctors there stating he has the disc herniation and needs law flat seats they might work with you on price. Good luck Jeff.

Are you going to take him to Mission in Asheville? If you bring him to doctors this way Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine is a good practice.

Despite our suggestions he decided not to buy instance of any kind. He will going to Charlotte