SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil Change Poll: Hot (warm) or Cold Change
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Change Poll: Hot (warm) or Cold Change Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted
I usually run my car around for about 20 minutes before changing the oil. The thought is that all the nasty particulate matter will be suspended and thus drain more out at change time. Because of a defective out of the box lift I was unable to change my car's oil before putting it up for the winter. I have read on the Porsche forums where changing the oil cold is not a problem, you just have to let it drain longer. So I solicit the collective for its opinion.

Question:
Do you prefer to change your oil when it is hot/warm or cold?

Choices:
Hotter the better
Cold is okay with me
I don't change my own oil

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I do similar to you a drive around the neighborhood for about 5 - 10 minutes prior to changing my vehicle's oil.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive 10 minutes down the hiway to the place that does my oil and then within a few minutes it’s up in The air.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Warm.

I let it sit for about an hour.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
The warmer the oil is, the more suspended solids you'll remove when you drain it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
The warmer the oil is, the more suspended solids you'll remove when you drain it.

I think that's right.
Warmer is better.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just warm.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As long as you change it at recommended intervals or sooner, it probably doesn't matter.
I change mine after at least 20 minutes. Can't hurt.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Why does is matter is the particles are suspended or not? If they are in the oil. I guess you mean particles that are not in the oil but just stuck onto items above the oil.

But anyway... back when I did change my oil it was either warm or hot..... now I pay my local mechanic to to do it....

Not to change the subject... but a few years back I asked a question on the internet that had always baffled me.... what is synthetic oil? Kind of confusing since most synthetics are made out of oil.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
if I'm doing it I'll go for warm just because I find it most comfortable for my hands.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Warm. The hotter the better option is not correct. Warm the oil so it floats and flows the particles on the bottom of the of the pan. Too hot where you are more likely going to burn yourself is not good either.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The oil drains a heck of a lot faster and easier when it's hot, I know that much.

But does it really matter otherwise? No, not really.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
As far as suspending particulates, I suspect modern engines with full flow filtering, don't have many, save some that elude the trip to the filter and sit in the bottom of the pan.

I prefer warm, but sometimes do cold if it is expedient. All oil has flowed into the pan from sitting since warm, so it is all in the pan. Why pump it somewhere else when you are trying to drain it?

The only drawback I see to cold, (not talking arctic cold) is that the draining flow isn't as fast which could flush debris out of the pan that didn't get to the filter.

I wish engines had a port that you could apply pressurized oil with a hand pump to flush the pickup screen. Maybe it would just induce a failure point and not be worth it.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I always do it when the car is piping hot, pull the drain plug and come back in an hour. But Mrs. Lee's POS BMW X1 has a PLASTIC drain plug. Guess what happens when you put a hex bit into a hot plastic drain plug and turn. It's so ridiculous that they even include a new drain plug with each new oil filter kit, knowing you will destroy the old one every time you remove it, often having to use a chisel or Dremel tool.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Slightly warm is much preferred. Nothing like having hot oil get all over your hand and run down your arm. With one of these tools to grasp the drain plug (assuming it turns easily) …

… you can minimize this. But on many cars you also have to reach through tight spaces next to hot exhaust and other engine parts to get at the filter.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot when I used to do it myself. Now at 75+ I have it done.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Warm.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
My two cents is that it only matters for flowing capability. Any solids that aren’t already in the filter will settle where they are in the engine as soon as flow stops. Warm oil is all that’s needed, changing your oil and filter regularly is more important.

I did my daughters Civic once when she had been driving. I ended up hitting the exhaust and got a second degree burn on my arm that ended up getting infected.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'd want the car warm. But then leave it for 10-15 minutes to let the oil settle back in the pan before draining.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I change hot. But I also have a lift and an large oil change tank.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post