SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whirlepool icemaker help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whirlepool icemaker help Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
My 3 year old WHirlpool WSF26c model refrigerator just stopped making ice today. This is a side by side model with theicemaker in the door. There is a water and ice feature in the freezer door, and the water works fine. I unplugged it to see if it would reset. I must have been successful because the little red laser is on constantly. Any suggestions? Do the internal hoses go bad or get plugged? Any valves I need to look at? Thank you for any suggestions.

Thursday Aug 10

New help-- my refrigerator is model WSF26c2EXF01

I can't seem to find related videos on YouTube and can't seem to locate the ice maker part number on line. Any ideas??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greco,

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A lot of these ice makers have nylon gears to release and force the ice out of the tray to the bin and over time the trays develop deposits and the ice does not release during the thermal cycle and the gear's teeth get worn.

If you hear a "popping/knocking" noise every few hours that have about a 2 second interval for a few minutes, that is what it often sounds like.

Sometimes you can get replacement gears, and other times you have to replace the ice maker module.

Hope that helps.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
My side by side Samsung did this after I did defrosting on the fridge part, evaporator. Had to unplug it for several hours to take apart and remove ice build up. I do this about once a year. Never any problems afterwards. But last time a few months after doing so my ice maker didn't go back to making ice.

Samsung trouble shooter said do the following....

Remove and reinstall filter
Turn off then back on ice per freezer door buttons
Use "reset" button on ice maker inside freezer door
Replace filter
Check water pressure. Forgot what min psi was.

If all that failed have a service tech look at it.

Never had a tech look at it. Played with it several times. Started buying bagged ice.

Then just two weeks ago the damn thing started making ice out of the blue. Not sure why but all is well now.

Good luck.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
If it's working now, its possible you had a cube jamming the ejector fingers. I can send you the diagnostic sheet for in door icemakers, but sounds like you may not need it. The differential diagnosis on these is the red light you see. If that is operating ok per the diagnostic sheet, problem is likely the actual icemaker.

Posts: 11221 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Good luck, they are all crap. Bought a new whirlpool 6 years ago, it was a problem to start with, the membrane switches for the ice machine were always going out, and the auger motor was always breaking on the ice maker. The refrigerator finally crapped out last year, and we bought a new Samsung, it too is a piece of crap. In the first week, the motherboard went out so it would not keep its temperature, the tech kept saying 40'degrees is normal temp for a fridge.(BS),a month later the compressor started to go out, and had to be replaced. 5 months ago the ice maker stopped making ice, we are on the 4th supposed fix with the tech company to get it taken care of. they are all junk, the last tech told me that, they don't even QC, them at the factory anymore, they just build them, box them, and then send them out. Good luck.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies folks after unplugging to reset last night I went to bed. I woke up and checked the red light. It is off again so I assume it is the ice maker.

Brad can you tell me where the ice maker is located on this model? I guess I'll have to replace it. I bought this one after my Samsung died early and I bought this one as an easier to fix model according to the repair guy.

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
So I reset the unit by unplugging this Morning. At 4 pm I looked and there were 3 cubes in the hopper and red light off again. So reset at 4 pm. I will get another ice maker as soon as
I figure out the part number. Any other thoughts?

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:

Brad can you tell me where the ice maker is located on this model? I guess I'll have to replace it. I bought this one after my Samsung died early and I bought this one as an easier to fix model according to the repair guy.

There is no e-mail address in your profile. E-mail me at the one in mine and I will sent you the diagnostics for this model. There is a known issue for No Ice. I will send you the service bulletin if you e-mail me.

Posts: 11221 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Thank u Brad, I sent an email mail.