SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Flu Shot thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Flu Shot thread Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
. . .Apparently one year she did and ended up later that year (weeks, not days from then) getting the worst case of the flu she could remember.

I asked if she recognized the shot was a "best guess" and sometimes they miss, you might still get it. Also that she ended up unlucky and got it in spite of the fact she'd had the shot, not BECAUSE she had..... Roll Eyes. . .

It's been several years since I got the shot.

Georgeair's (see quote above) tells us that getting the flu after getting the shot is merely coincidence, NOT causation, and I believe him.

My issue isn't catching the flu after getting the shot.

My issue is that I get sicker than a dog for a couple of days after I get the shot. Puking. Fever. Headache. Sick.

People have told me that's just not possible, that the shot can't do that. And yet I can show a 100% correlation between the times that I have gotten the shot and the times it has made me sick. If it is all in my head, then it's a pretty damned powerful phobia.

So, no, I do not plan to get the shot this year. Or in any other year between now and my death, either.
Same.

If I worked in a hospital, I'd probably do it. But...I'd know that I was going to get sick after the shot. For 16 years of the military FORCING the various forms of flu shots, I got sick like you describe, every time.

Since I've been out (no longer forced), I've not once gotten the flu.

I'm sticking with my plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked as a retail pharmacist for 35 years, got coughed on, sneezed on, you name it, never got a flu shot. Might get the flu tomorrow, but I’ll pass on the flu shot

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Work (Hospital) forced me to start getting them a few years ago. My arm hurts for a few days afterwords but I'm still alive.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Work (Hospital) forced me to start getting them a few years ago. My arm hurts for a few days afterwords but I'm still alive.

Don't blame the hospital, blame the government.

Unless individual facilities have at least 90% compliance with flu vaccines, the feds will cut reimbursement rates.

This pisses me off to no end. Given the risks involved and historically low rates of efficacy, there is absolutely no good reason to force a medical procedure on those unwilling. If memory serves, they had a little trial in an obscure town in Germany around 70 years ago and decided that that should not be done.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

Don't blame the hospital, blame the government.

Unless individual facilities have at least 90% compliance with flu vaccines, the feds will cut reimbursement rates.

This pisses me off to no end. Given the risks involved and historically low rates of efficacy, there is absolutely no good reason to force a medical procedure on those unwilling. If memory serves, they had a little trial in an obscure town in Germany around 70 years ago and decided that that should not be done.

Got any further information on risks, efficacy, or German study?

I get one every year and blow all the conspiracy theory stuff off about them. I'd love to read more.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a knee replacement next week and haven't gotten my shot yet. Is it too late to get it considering the surgery?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post