SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Flu Shot thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Flu Shot thread Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Got mine. Our Dep't offers them, but does not mandate them. I have rec'd for the last 7 years, now that I am old and stuff.

After having the actual flu and not what many confuse for the flu, I decided it was better for me to do what I can to avoid it in the future.

IIRC, it was the longest 8-10 days of my life.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
And it's that time of year to say I'm not getting one. I have only gotten colds or flu (at least some of the symptoms, not necessarily actual flu) twice in 9 years, so I'll take my chances.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine and it also stung a little, usually I don't even notice. I think they upped the ratio of nanobots this year is all. Wink

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I get the shot every year. This year, it made my arm sore for a couple of day. Nothing big, just more noticeable than I remember.

Small price to pay for a pretty good chance at protection.

Posts: 1510 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had flu shots annually for many years. Then, year before last, I was in the doctor's office for routine checkup. Nurse asked me if I wanted the shot while I was there.

Sure, why not? One stop shopping and all. Nurse handed me a form to sign, that had a few questions on it.

One that caught my eye: Have you ever had Guillain Barré Syndrome?

Uh oh, better hold off on the shot until I speak with the Doc. Turns out that my last flu shot was in his office, about six weeks before I got slammed with GBS. He said that chances are very very slim, but the flu shot might have been a trigger for the GBS, and told me no more flu shots. Ever.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I haven't had one since the early 80's or later.
Since that time, we used SAMBUCOL elderberry extract when we started to feel like something was coming on. You can now get it in most drug stores and I still keep a bottle handy just in case.

Then I learned about Vitamin D3 and its importance for the immune system and other body functions which has an effect on your life span so I use it daily.

The problem is that the shot only contains the viruses they think will be present so if a different strain of virus appears, you are out of luck.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
On that note, I've been getting them for years. A few weeks back I went to the doc for some other issues. He told me in no uncertain terms to NOT get the flu shot this year. He would not elaborate. Wish I knew why.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I became a habitual recipient of the flu shot when my kids got old enough to go to school.

I swear they are freaking germ sponges! I never got sick until the oldest started preschool, then I felt like I was getting the flu every damn year. Little buggers bring all kinds of stuff home.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Local TV story about a "very healthy" 52 y.o. former Mesa AZ police officer and his widow.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/...t-getting-a-flu-shot

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
GET THE FLU SHOT OR YOU'LL DIE!!!
[/sarcasm]

I catch whatever's going around maybe one-in-three to one-in-five times. When it happens I lay up supplies of fruit juice and chicken soup, ramp up the vitamin C, and take NyQuil if I need, take DayQuil if I need. Rest a lot. In fact: Pretty much entirely.

When I was still working: I took the time off. I did not ask. I informed them I was. (I realize not everybody can get away with that.)

The flu shots never much seemed to bother me, but they wreck my wife, so she doesn't take them any more.

I hate to sound like a tin foil hat guy, but I simply cannot imagine getting pumped full of every gorram vaccine "they" say you should can possibly be good for you. Annual best guess influenza, pneumococcal pneumonia, shingles, ... others?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I put flu shots in the same category as insurance, fire extinguishers and CCW- I hope I never need them, but things just might be a lot worse if I don't.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've gotten one every year for the last 30 years or so.

Got poked in the arm for this year a couple of weeks ago.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
On that note, I've been getting them for years. A few weeks back I went to the doc for some other issues. He told me in no uncertain terms to NOT get the flu shot this year. He would not elaborate. Wish I knew why.

This is the year they mix in the alien DNA and our alien overlords use their mind control rays to force us into slave labor extracting gold from the earth's core to power their intergaltic space ships.

He must be one of the shape shifters that was part of the advance team.

We must spread the word! Say no to the flu shot, say no to enslavement of the world at the hands of merciless gray aliens.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Haven't had one since Uncle Sam made me get them, last one 22 years ago

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Local TV story about a "very healthy" 52 y.o. former Mesa AZ police officer and his widow.

How do they not know it was not something else?? Lyme Disease, hantavirus, or other??

I have read that Lyme Disease is the most misdiagnosed disease resulting in a bed ridden condition.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've never had a negative reaction to them and haven't had the flu since I started getting them 25+ yrs ago. I'm not about to stop now with that record.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Got mine today, about two hours ago. My arm is already sore as hell.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:

How do they not know it was not something else?? Lyme Disease, hantavirus, or other??

I have read that Lyme Disease is the most misdiagnosed disease resulting in a bed ridden condition.

Maybe they did one or more of the tests that can confirm influenza.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I haven't gotten the flu for years since doing them.

I haven't either, and I've not gotten the vaccination in over 20 years.

Probably 30 years ago, IBM offered/encouraged all of us to take the flu shots as a preventative so employees would not get sick and miss work. Tight schedule .gov contracts.

So, I took my whole department to IBM medical where we all got shots.

couple days later, 3/4 of the department had the flu, including me.

Have not taken the shots since, and have never gotten the flu again. No flu shots for me, or Mrs. Elk.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Haven't had one since Uncle Sam made me get them, last one 22 years ago

Which reminds me, about 1956-57 I was a new comer to Germany, courtesy of the US Army. Big flu epidemic going around so the army mandated that we all get flu shots so as not to damage our combat ready status. Yeah, right. Most of the company was flat on its back for about a week. Had buddies in other companies, and they all had the same thing.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post