SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've been burned by the Sig Pro Shop in Epping.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been burned by the Sig Pro Shop in Epping. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
In mid September I ordered an MCX Virtus Patrol to be shipped to my FFL in Massachusetts. This was a legal transfer as the MCX is Mass compliant providing a few changes by my FFL (pin stock and replace flash hider).

Finally a week ago Monday they told me my rifle was in. The salesman was supposed to call to ship and get payment. So Tuesday I hadn't heard from him. I called and made final payment and awaited shipping.

Today the store manager, Pete, called to tell me that they no longer ship to Massachusetts for non-LEO. Even though it's legal, their legal department just made this change recently. He refunded my money.

Well my FFL replied to me he just accepted a shipment last week. WTF. Something seems strange. I have about $700 in stuff I bought for this rifle, a red dot, case, 10 round compliant mags, a compensator. I'm beyond pissed. The manager offered to give me a good discount if I go up to buy anything else. But I just don't understand this.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, that's gotta be disappointing.

Out of curiosity, was the specific MCX you ordered a "large format pistol" configuration or did it have an SB Tactical brace instead of a true stock?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I place more of the blame on Mass. Legally Sig can't ship that rifle, They have no control that your FFL will make it compliant. Therefore they can't do it

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve had similar, albeit not as significant, problems with companies’ refusing to ship products to Colorado. It’s ultimately the fault of the states, not the companies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's not SIG's fault.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
I place more of the blame on Mass. Legally Sig can't ship that rifle, They have no control that your FFL will make it compliant. Therefore they can't do it

That would be understandable if they didn’t ship one literally last week. If they didn’t sell me the rifle with my FFL info. If they didn’t tell me in the store “you can absolutely get this rifle. We will ship to Massachusetts FFL and they will modify it”. If they didn’t tell me my gun was received and they would ship as soon as they have time. If they didn’t take my final payment.

If all of that didn’t happen then okay. But they sold me on the rifle in the shop and let me wait over 2 months. Meanwhile other opportunities have disappeared. So I’m blaming SIG pro shop for this.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be understandable if they didn’t ship one literally last week. If they didn’t sell me the rifle with my FFL info. If they didn’t tell me in the store “you can absolutely get this rifle. We will ship to Massachusetts FFL and they will modify it”. If they didn’t tell me my gun was received and they would ship as soon as they have time. If they didn’t take my final payment.

I'd have to agree that it wasn't a great experience, however the Sig rep said that the rules were recently changed re MA, apparently your order got caught between the original rule that MA was ok, and the subsequent change.

Sig should have cancelled your order and refunded your money the minute the rule was changed.

In that aspect I'd say your ire toward Sig is justified.

Posts: 23447 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today the store manager, Pete, called to tell me that they no longer ship to Massachusetts for non-LEO.
I take it Pete is in the SIG Pro-shop? I'd blame both MA and the Pro-shop. They shouldn't have taken your money, just a week ago, and not known their current policy. That's extreme BS, you got caught in the middle of their policy change, they should have let it go... I believe I'd call Pete and SIG management back and run the details all the way up their flagpole, relentlessly.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it isn't really Mass compliant as it's shipped if your FFL has to make changes before he hands the gun to you.
Sig may have had some less than optimal communications, internally and otherwise, but they did refund your money as soon as this happened.
I'm surprised they would have offered that product for Mass to begin with if the legalities were that borderline.
Your real gripe is with Massachusetts residents and their politicians that have made them illegal in the first place.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
To be clear this was not a change in Massachusetts law. This was a change on SIG’s part. The change apparently happened after my rifle was already received by them. If they literally shipped it the day they got it I would have my rifle. Instead they waited two weeks claiming they were busy and then changed policy in the middle of it.

These go to eleven.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Sounds like it isn't really Mass compliant as it's shipped if your FFL has to make changes before he hands the gun to you.
Sig may have had some less than optimal communications, internally and otherwise, but they did refund your money as soon as this happened.
I'm surprised they would have offered that product for Mass to begin with if the legalities were that borderline.
Your real gripe is with Massachusetts residents and their politicians that have made them illegal in the first place.
Weapons get shipped all the time that aren't "compliant" at the destination, and have to be modified prior to sale. SIG screwed him just as bad on this as MA did.

Seriously, I'd call anyone and everyone at SIG that will answer the phone.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you find a gunsmith in NH to make it compliant and then have it shipped to your FFL in MA?

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
At this point I’m gonna cut my losses and order a fixed mag AR from Dark Storm. They are 6 months back ordered and SIG cost me 2 months. I could make calls and bitch at people but I have a feeling that is just gonna frustrate me more and I doubt anyone is gonna change their minds and ship it. I’m sure they sold my rifle today the moment they refunded me.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

A MFD or distributor can ship whatever they want, to whomever they want provided the entity on the receiving end has an FFL. The only exception that I am aware of is Glocks to Mass. The onus is on the FFL to verify that the end user is getting an item that is legal in their state of residence.

The refusal to ship this gun is nothing more than a corporate policy due to the end user not being LE and the ass-backwards Mass laws concerning which AR platforms are legal due to either dates, or parts commonality. For example Tavor RS is legal in Mass. Its parts commonality with an AR is low enough to get in.

MCX is definitely in the grey area, they do get sold in Mass, but to say that it can't be shipped to Mass under any circumstances is disingenuous.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If your FFL received same thing from them last week as he claimed, then why not have him order it himself for you? Problem solved.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You should send a letter to Sig Corporate about the situation, taking your funds, failing to notify you of the change, failure to return the funds on the day they made the policy change isn't good business, there is no excuse for that....

Posts: 23447 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I emailed corporate. But I’m gonna cut my losses and move on. I’m sure my rifle was sold the minute they refunded me. The store is packed every day and finding this in stock would be a win for anyone in the store. I got a big discount for being a student. The rifle is 2k anywhere I look. My price was $1665 shipped.

I think the biggest bummer is going into that shop with a bad feeling from now on. I used to get excited shopping there. Now I just feel like it’s a bunch of dicks. Next time I’m there I’ll see what deal he gives me on a p365. That’s on my list. Maybe I’ll feel better if they do me a solid.

These go to eleven.

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
MCX Virtus Patrol

Why not jut buy it in NH and bring it back and have it made compliant?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
MCX Virtus Patrol

Why not jut buy it in NH and bring it back and have it made compliant?

I do understand that purchasing a rifle should mean I can pick it up in NH without shipping to an FFL. But SIG pro shop policy only allows shipping to FFl in Massachusetts. They would not let me pick it up.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
Can sig ship to a gun shop in a legal state. Have that shop make changes ( pin stock and replace flash hider) and then ship to you?

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post