SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deviated septum surgery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deviated septum surgery Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Had it done a couple years ago, early 30's. Felt like I was hit in the face with a hammer and the pain progressively got worse over a week. I was half dying the night before the packing removal. They didn't have an appointment until later in the day and told me they couldn't do anything until around 4pm. I showed up at 8am when they opened and told them they had to take it out or I was going to walk downstairs to the emergency room. Yes, it was that bad. They take the packing out and I broke out in a sweat and felt like I was gonna barf.

That being said.....it was worth it. Just plan for the worst and hope for the best as far as taking time off of work or other responsibilities. I had that and the turbinates and adenoids done at the same time so maybe mention that to your doc. Might as well get it all done if you need it.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike had her sinus windows carved open and used the cartilage to open the nostrils on each side....

She would have it done again and it was definitely better than before....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I had both sides done 20 years ago. I was getting sinus headaches like you would not believe. Antibiotics did no good.

After the surgery the doc told me that I was a perfect candidate for the procedure. They had to completely break and then rebuild both sides.

I honestly don't remember it being all that big of a deal. It was done on a Thursday morning and I went back to work that Monday. I had lots of packing in both nostrils and it was unpleasant as hell I will tell you that. I called the doc on Friday and asked him how long that packing had to stay in and he told me that they could come out after one day but he could not do it until Monday. I did it myself after getting off the phone with a pair of needle nose pliers. It was messy but they did come right out once you had a firm grip. I felt a whole lot better after those things came out, I will tell you that. Black eyes for about a week but that was about it.

Getting that procedure done was probably the best thing I ever did. The headaches were gone and they never returned. It sure worked for me.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
It is sort of funny reading through the various responses. Apparently, there are a few ways to repair a deviated septum.
My experience was in summer of 1978 (OK, so mine happened 39 years ago, not 40). I was awake for the "procedure", with a variety of local anesthetics administered. The nurse hit a hammer, while the ENT held a chisel. I have a vivid memory of extreme pressure, along with the ENT saying "Again!", then another whack. They had to re-break my nose, then try to position it correctly.
About four years ago, I was sitting at a game with another dad whose son played basketball with my younger son (my fifth child).
This dad happens to be an Ear Nose & Throat doctor (and is almost 10 years younger than me), and I was telling him about my nose & surgery experience. When I turned and looked at him straight on, he laughed & said, yeah, your nose is still pretty crooked, but he could fix it.

Again, I politely declined. Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I had mine done a few years ago. I put it off for a long time thinking about them packing my nose.

My doc used tubes/stents leaving my nose open and able to breath.

It was life changing for me. I didn't realize how restricted my breathing was. My only regret was not doing it earlier.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
I was awake for the "procedure", with a variety of local anesthetics administered. The nurse hit a hammer, while the ENT held a chisel. I have a vivid memory of extreme pressure, along with the ENT saying "Again!", then another whack.

I only had a local for when they removed my wisdom teeth. But there is no way in hell I would be able to sit there and watch them literally chisel away in my nose. Eek

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
My hope is that the humming stops in my right ear and that it stops or greatly lessens the post nasal drip.

It would be nice if it helped the snoring but the doc said it might but don't count on it.

Both my post nasal drip and snoring improved. Neither went away completely. The drip improved the most.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post