SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Apple?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With Apple? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have the X and consider it sized perfectly for my hands that are not large. Gonna make it last as long as I can.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Also seeing articles how how the iPhone X wasn't selling as fast as they had hoped?

The analysts were wrong: The iPhone X is now the most popular iPhone

Saw the same on the news, last night.

Confounds me, but the way people spend money on some stuff, incl. phones, always has.

I've a gently-used iPhone 6S I bought on eBay. My wife has one I bought on Swappa that was probably a display model. Those and my Apple watch (also from Swappa) are still going strong. We'll stick with them. I wouldn't mind a larger screen, but this 6S is already a bit cramped many of my front pockets.

I wish Apple much success. I have stock Smile (And I'd hate having to go back to the "MS-Windows of mobile devices" Wink.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Then I hike my pants up past my navel, display my white socks and black tennis shoes and go off to the 5pm early bird special...

What no argyle socks, plaid shirt and totally opposite plaid shorts?

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
The smart phone is a mature device now. You don't have to run out and buy a new one because the one you have does what you want.

It used to be that you would be dazzled by a new screen size, more memory or a better camera. The screen is big enough you have enough memory and your pics are good enough.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Heretic! Blasphemer!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I admit I’ll probably be one of the suckers who buys the XS Max because I like to read and view videos on my phone. The larger screen makes that much easier.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I had an iPhone 6S for a long time and had no need to upgrade. Finally it became so unbelievably slow it was not even useful and I feel that was Apple doing it on purpose as they admitted.

I just upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus. I did not want to upgrade to an X as I have heard nothing but problems; even from Apple Store employees. My wife has an X and hates it as it uses a ton of data compared to her previous phone.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Sticking with my 7+. Battery is at 83% of expectancy. Will probably spend the $29 and have the Apple store replace it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Everyone is making me feel really outdated because I'm still using an iPhone 4s

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 7+ that still has a healthy battery but is getting to the point where it regularly does strange stuff. Told myself I didn't like the X for the past year but a coworker let me play with his so I'm gonna take the plunge and order the new, bigger screen one. Same size as my 7+ with an inch more screen is just cool. It's insanely expensive but then again so is the hobby that brought me here in the first place.

Work issued me a Samsung S8 and as much as I like the phone itself, I can't make the switch for my personal device. I spent part of Sunday afternoon downloading podcasts, moving music over, getting Android Auto set up all to give the system a dry run on a work trip to NJ earlier this week. Plugged into my Jeep (just as a media device, I don't have Android Auto), it couldn't find music or podcasts and on the company car which has AA, it would only play the most recent podcast. Music worked ok and AA is decent but not as polished as CarPlay (though Google Maps is and likely will always be better than Apple's garbage). Looks like I'll keep drinking the KoolAid for another year or two.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah I've jumped off the new phone every 2 years rat race. Gonna run my 6S Plus as long as it'll go.

Same. I’ve always upgraded every other year and for free. When I got my 7 128gb, ATT had a killer trade in offer so the 7 was only $149 out of pocket. That was the first time I had to pay for a phone out of pocket. $1149 for a Xs with 256gb (they don’t even offer 128gb anymore) is fucking nuts. That’s a got damn mortgage payment for a phone. I think a MacBook Air is close to that price. Top of the range iPhone now $1500? Fuck that’s a nice laptop money.

Like many, I’d buy a X in the SE form factor, if it was priced accordingly. I don’t want a got damn phablet phone. I think all of us who iwb understand why. Plus if I’m going to view video of any kind, I do not want to use a phone to do it. Phone is for comms, few home automation things, music, instant camera.... I use mine for basic stuff. I like that it can do most anything if I need it to, and work requires it so I have to have one. I think they don’t offer a smaller version because they’d have to charge less for it and many people would buy it simply because it’s less expensive. I remember my favorite phone of all time, the Nokia 8210. So small.

I do think, like many, they’ve finally burned a lot of people out. I know where the fiends are online and I read some threads yesterday with people none too pleased. At this point I’m gonna buy some backup holsters for my 7 and ride it out as long as I can. I break a case/holster every year but my phones stay mint. If ATT or Apple start offering killer trade ins due to poor sales of these things that’s the only way I will upgrade.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I have an iPhone X as does my wife. Went from a 6 to that - we like the X and not a fan of the "plus" sized phones.

You are right, these phone prices are getting a bit ridiculous.

I agree. I have an old HTC M8 I bought off Ebay for $100. It serves my purpose for a smartphone just fine. Not much , however in terms of support.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I have an iPhone X as does my wife. Went from a 6 to that - we like the X and not a fan of the "plus" sized phones.

You are right, these phone prices are getting a bit ridiculous.

I agree. I have an old HTC M8 I bought off Ebay for $100. It serves my purpose for a smartphone just fine. Not much , however in terms of support.

I finally retired my M8 a little over a month ago. As much as I loved it, I really am much happier with the new Samsung S9 that I now have. One of the things I'm super happy about with the new phone is that I have my FM tuner back. Freakin' Verizon had disabled it on my M8 when they pushed through a software update, and I never got it back. Thankfully Samsung has kept it in their new devices.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I have a 5 I bought new 5 years ago, but tonight my mother gave me her 6s Plus because she just couldn't figure out how to use it. My 58 year old eyes prefer the larger screen on the Plus, but I agree it might be too big, and this one doesn't have enough memory for my needs anyway. I certainly don't feel the need for anything newer.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
And this one doesn't have enough memory for my needs anyway.

As Apple added the ability to add external storage yet to their phones? Like an SD card?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my iPhone X. Facial recognition is an awesomely useful feature. All high-end smart phones will have it in a couple of years. Apple has it now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The new XR will probably be a hot seller at $749. As for the X I have one now and it’s a great phone. No complaints. I will get the XS just cause I can. Why the hell not. I spend more than $1100 on nonesense all the time. My phone gets more use than just about anything else I own. By May 2018 Apple had already sold 52 million iPhones and sold more X’s then any other model. That proves the concept that people are willing to spend more on phones. You are correct that Apple didn’t sell as many as they wanted but the IPhone X made more in profits then all other android phones combined

But at the same time, there’s a big difference between “didn’t meet expectations” and “total flop.” According to a new report from analysis firm Counterpoint, the iPhone X alone accounted for 35% of total smartphone industry profits in Q4 2017, with Apple capturing a total of 86% of the industry profit. With just 14% of the profit left over for the Android manufacturers (no, Windows Phone and Blackberry certainly aren’t making any money), that means that the iPhone X alone made a little more than three times as much money as the total profits from Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, OnePlus, Huawei, and Xiaomi combined.

https://bgr.com/2018/04/17/iph...laxy-note-8-lol-wtf/

That is proof of concept right there.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
I have a 7+ that still has a healthy battery but is getting to the point where it regularly does strange stuff. Told myself I didn't like the X for the past year but a coworker let me play with his so I'm gonna take the plunge and order the new, bigger screen one. Same size as my 7+ with an inch more screen is just cool. It's insanely expensive but then again so is the hobby that brought me here in the first place.

Work issued me a Samsung S8 and as much as I like the phone itself, I can't make the switch for my personal device. I spent part of Sunday afternoon downloading podcasts, moving music over, getting Android Auto set up all to give the system a dry run on a work trip to NJ earlier this week. Plugged into my Jeep (just as a media device, I don't have Android Auto), it couldn't find music or podcasts and on the company car which has AA, it would only play the most recent podcast. Music worked ok and AA is decent but not as polished as CarPlay (though Google Maps is and likely will always be better than Apple's garbage). Looks like I'll keep drinking the KoolAid for another year or two.

Apple CarPlay gets google maps support with the iOS 12 update next week

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I went from a 7+ to the X last year and have been very happy with it. No problems whatsoever, same amount of screen in the smaller 7 size.

While I can see myself going Xs Max, no burning desire to at this point. Will probably keep the X for another year or two.

As for the price, they way carriers have subsidized phones with two year contracts for so long I think people don’t realize what the true cost of the smartphones are. Now that the subsidized/contract service model is done people see the real cost of the phones. $25-$30/month subsidy works out to $600-$720 bucks over a 24 month contract.

With advances in materials, construction, water resistance, memory, performance, larger and better screens, cameras, etc. we are seeing phones that are easily 5-6 times better than the phones of 6-7 years ago at less than twice the price.

Yup, top shelf is big bucks but look at the sum of the parts. High quality camera that rivals a stand alone costing $200. Handheld computer/tablet capability, iPad Mini is $400, stand alone GPS $150, “basic” cellphone $200. It all adds up and while it is a lot of money, you are getting quite a lot for it.

Top shelf Android phones run the same price range, and as another poster noted don’t come close for holding value if you sell to upgrade.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of us on this forum think it perfectly reasonable to pay $1000, $2000, or more for an optic we may only use a few times a year. We look through those optics, for a total of maybe a few minutes to a few hours.

But many think it insane to spend $1000 on a optical interface device that many of us use for hours a day (yes, when you read on the can it still counts). It is a phone that works almost anywhere in the world, it is a computer more powerful than a multi-thousand dollar PC from a decade ago, it is a camera better than most $1000 cameras from a few years ago (and how many of those fit in your pocket?), and plays music and movies with greater resolution and fidelity than stereos and TVs not too long ago.

Whiners. Whiners everywhere.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post