SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Apple?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With Apple? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Just anecdotal from people around me who seem to be holding on to the iPhones they already have and not rushing out to buy the latest ones which IMO seem overpriced to me anymore. Also seeing articles how how the iPhone X wasn't selling as fast as they had hoped?

So what does Apple do with this latest round of new iPhones? Double down and make them EVEN MORE expensive? Are they smoking something?

They also seem to have dropped the SE-sized phone, the small model based on the iPhone 5 form factor that a lot of people who didn't want a huge phone liked. My wife and parents love theirs and it's going to be tough telling them they have no choice but to get a larger one when the time comes to upgrade.

Their top of the line model will cost almost $1,500 now! Eek

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for an SE2 because I hate big phones.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Used to be a first adopter, now I'm like my dad, I've been known to say, "this works, why wouldn't I use it, why do I need to spend money on a new one, this one gets me by just fine..."

Then I hike my pants up past my navel, display my white socks and black tennis shoes and go off to the 5pm early bird special...

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feeling but will probably dump my 8+ in favor of the larger X size but I also use my phone a lot and need the larger screen.

Last year I skipped the X upgrade because I was not that impressed initially but then my wife got one and I changed my tune...I still preferred my 8+ but liked the screen and the audio quality.

My daughter is due an upgrade and as she is almost 18 she understands this is the last phone she is getting from me. Based on what I saw yesterday I think she will hold out for the "R". It appears to offer the best of both worlds and has a more acceptable price point.

It is crazy to spend more on phones that I spend on my first car but for me it is a tool and my daughter works her ass off and has earned it...plus I can sell our old devices which are flawless and absorb a lot of the cost

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm content on my 6s. I'll run it till it dies.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
When I can no longer get an SE sized phone, I'll go back to a flip phone. I have no interest in these tablet sized phones and will not own one.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have an iPhone X as does my wife. Went from a 6 to that - we like the X and not a fan of the "plus" sized phones.

You are right, these phone prices are getting a bit ridiculous.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What’s even more ridiculous is the price of some of these android phones. They don’t hold their value near as well as iPhones.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The XR has a ridiculously low 828p resolution (326 PPI) LCD panel for a large phablet. They call it Liquid Retina Smile.. Regardless, this is lame in 2018, so it may not be the bargain that many think it is.

Normal eyes, either natural or corrected to 20/20, can see about 700 PPI at a foot distance so 326 PPI, while good in 2010, seems dated now.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
What Is Going On With Apple?

I pretty much gave up on them shortly after Jobs passed away. The Tim Cook era has left a bad taste. The new Macbook designs are horrible for me, I will not consider one, I'll just hang on to my 4 yo Macbook Pro and Air.

I switched from iPhone to a Samsung for a variety of reasons, one being I did not like the newer designs. I am quite happy with the switch.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I have an SE. I think it's the perfect size. Does everything I need and got it cheap as hell the last upgrade. I have no use for anything that I can't fit in my back pocket.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Millenials are abandoning computers and tablets.

The phone is quickly becoming the default device for things most people used to do on a computer.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I just moved from a Pixel2 to an iPhone SE. I love the size, although the phone is a tad slow.

An SE2 would have been the bee's knees.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah I've jumped off the new phone every 2 years rat race. Gonna run my 6S Plus as long as it'll go.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Millenials are abandoning computers and tablets.

The phone is quickly becoming the default device for things most people used to do on a computer.
Having a son in college, I can attest to this.

Computer is for school, otherwise everything (including some schoolwork) is done on the phone.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
The stock is up strong and getting stronger. Phones. Watches. Laptops. The world.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm also happy with my 6S and plan to keep it for some time. As for those who think it's size is too big; you'd be surprised at how quickly you get used to it and then will be happy with the extra size and clarity it offers. It's substantially thinner and lighter too. When I see see friends with their earlier versions, I wonder how they can really "use" a smaller phone.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Still on my 6+. Not interested in a phone that costs over $200.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
What Is Going On With Apple?

I pretty much gave up on them shortly after Jobs passed away. The Tim Cook era has left a bad taste. The new Macbook designs are horrible for me, I will not consider one, I'll just hang on to my 4 yo Macbook Pro and Air.

I switched from iPhone to a Samsung for a variety of reasons, one being I did not like the newer designs. I am quite happy with the switch.

I have a MB Pro with a brand new battery and track pad installed that I am saving for just that reason. It's virgin wiped and restored to the original settings. It's not as fast as my new one but still s very good machine. deciding whether to sell it or put in a faraday bag...It has a dvd drive and 4 use ports, which you can't get at this point....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I have an iPhone X as does my wife. Went from a 6 to that - we like the X and not a fan of the "plus" sized phones.

You are right, these phone prices are getting a bit ridiculous.

We did the same. Seems like we are on the 3 year update cycle. If you want a regular X there have been some great deals the past few months. Some about half off.

Our old plans seem to have about $18/mo subsidy built-in per line, which we no longer pay, but we do pay for the phones.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post