SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Apple?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With Apple? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dang quote is too close to the edit button. I must need a bigger phone!!!!

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So what does Apple do with this latest round of new iPhones? Double down and make them EVEN MORE expensive? Are they smoking something?

I plan on keeping my 8+ for at least another year, perhaps much longer. But if I were in the market for a new iPhone, I would opt for the Xr, the "low end" version and more attractively priced. This year's model has a more advanced LCD display, rather than the OLED of the Xs models. It is edge-to-edge like the Xs models, has Face ID, and is otherwise almost the same phone.

I used to have the 5s and swore by the smaller size. But I have easily adapted to the 8+ (my first "big" phone). It fits neatly into one of the inner cargo area pockets of my Duluth Fire Hose pants, and having the extra real estate on the screen is very nice. The Xr has the same size screen but in a smaller overall size than the 8+ (or earlier + models), because the screen is edge-to-edge, eliminating all of the bezels. It is about the same overall size as the non-plus models.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yesterday evening I did some comparisons between the iPhone 6S, 7 and 8. (The iPhone X I regard as too big.) The 6S actually gets better reviewer and user ratings. Other than increased battery life in the 7, I see no reason to upgrade.

I think it a mistake on Apple's part to offer only phablets. If, when it's time to replace my 6S, I can't find an acceptable pocket-friendly iPhone, I guess I'll have to return to Android Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
Most of us on this forum think it perfectly reasonable to pay $1000, $2000, or more for an optic we may only use a few times a year. We look through those optics, for a total of maybe a few minutes to a few hours.

But many think it insane to spend $1000 on a optical interface device that many of us use for hours a day (yes, when you read on the can it still counts). It is a phone that works almost anywhere in the world, it is a computer more powerful than a multi-thousand dollar PC from a decade ago, it is a camera better than most $1000 cameras from a few years ago (and how many of those fit in your pocket?), and plays music and movies with greater resolution and fidelity than stereos and TVs not too long ago.

Whiners. Whiners everywhere.

Sorry, some of us don’t spend hours and hours on it a day. We use it for necessity be it comms, work, check your home (automation), email, etc. Many of us don’t live our life on it, we live our life in the real world. I don’t think anyone is complaining that there are higher end options for the addicted. They/we are saying something because there isn’t lower cost and smaller options for those of us who don’t live our life on it.

I have read and studied the slot machine human engineering that goes into them, realize it’s an addiction like drugs, and treat it as such.
I use it for necessity.

I just checked. I can get new MacBook Air for $999, a MacBook or MacBook Pro for $1299. A mid level MacBook Pro costs the same as th highest end iPhone. That’s some crazy shit. And your optics analogy doesn’t hold water. That high end optic will last you a decade or longer. The phone will be obsolete in just a couple of years.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I stopped upgrading when they stopped paying for half of it. They're out of their got'damned minds with their prices.

My work phone is a 6s which I like and am quite happy with. My personal phone is a 4s and when it dies I will go back to a flip phone.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Whether iPhone or Android, I think the more interesting discussion to have is, what's the point of diminishing returns for the masses on these phones. My original guess was >$1k, but we've already seen there's a market willing and able to pay that amount. I read a tech article a week or so ago that noted they expected to see $1,700-$1,800 iPhones in the future. To put that in perspective, that's more money than I have in my current Lenovo laptop, Dell Desktop, and OnePlus3 phone....combined.

For me, I'm more interested in the growing competition to be the value leader in the cellphone market. There are really amazing Android phones coming in the $300-$500 price range that are going to offer 90% of the feature functionality of these high priced premium phones for less than half (or a third) the investment.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of us on this forum think it perfectly reasonable to pay $1000, $2000, or more for an optic we may only use a few times a year. We look through those optics, for a total of maybe a few minutes to a few hours.

But many think it insane to spend $1000 on a optical interface device that many of us use for hours a day (yes, when you read on the can it still counts). It is a phone that works almost anywhere in the world, it is a computer more powerful than a multi-thousand dollar PC from a decade ago, it is a camera better than most $1000 cameras from a few years ago (and how many of those fit in your pocket?), and plays music and movies with greater resolution and fidelity than stereos and TVs not too long ago.

ummmm....no

Not all of us have $1,000 laying around or WANT to spend a thousand bucks on a friggen phone.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I don't want to spend $1000 on a phone either, but onegeek makes a valid argument.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

ummmm....no

Not all of us have $1,000 laying around or WANT to spend a thousand bucks on a friggen phone.
Roll Eyes

So don’t. Just don’t act like other people are crazy for wanting to or having the money to do so. Apple still sells the the 7 and 8 and the new XR. You have options.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
I'm content on my 6s. I'll run it till it dies.

Me too.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Yesterday evening I did some comparisons between the iPhone 6S, 7 and 8. (The iPhone X I regard as too big.)

The new Xs iPhone (which is the same as last year's 'X' model) is .15" wider and .21" taller than the 6s, and it has a 5.8" screen vs 4" for the 6s.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This quote came to mind for the people defending these ridiculous prices for a phone.

quote:
You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
My iPhone 6S Plus has been awesome and I am handing it down to my son. I will be getting the XS Max (big one). I do a lot of work on my phone and it keeps me from having to break out the computer on the road. The big screen works for me. These hand held devices are becoming less phone and more computer, there is a lot of power packed into them. If it saves me time and hassle then it is worth it. At least Apple builds them well.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I don't want to spend $1000 on a phone either, but onegeek makes a valid argument.

He makes a valid argument from his point of view, not everyone elses. It's really a question of needs and diminishing marginal returns. For my purposes, I simply don't have to spend that kind of money.

Notice I used "needs", and not "wants". At some point these phones are no longer tools and have entered the realm of toys and status symbols. Apple is testing the limits of what is now a luxury item, determining what the market will bear. Good for them, but they are on a trajectory that leaves me behind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't buy $1000 scopes, but if I did... 10, 20, 30 years from now, I'd still have a scope. 10 years from now your $1k phone will be in a landfill somewhere.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I don't buy $1000 scopes, but if I did... 10, 20, 30 years from now, I'd still have a scope. 10 years from now your $1k phone will be in a landfill somewhere.

Right. But no one keeps a phone for 10 years. So you might as well buy the one that retains its value better so when it’s time to sell in a year or 3 you keep more of your money and put that towards a new one.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
I don’t see what the problem is. Want a top of the line German engineered car that costs more than its worth, then buy a Mercedes. If not, buy a Honda. Want to spend a shit ton of money on a new iPhone, then have at it. If not, then buy something else. I dont understand the vitriol from people who,say they dont care about having the newest and greatest iPhones. If tou want one, buy it, if not, then don’t.

Not everyone who is a frequent user of a high end phone is a Facebook addicted drone.

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have an iPhone 7 with the factory apple battery case (which is awesome and almost triples usage time). The battery case does make the phone heavy but the trade off is worth it. BUT, I cracked the screen about 2 months ago, had that replaced, then dunked it in water for 4 seconds and the screen now has a strange white hue through it in sections. I use it for business and have had it 22 months so it's time. The 7 was a good phone but the screen resolution always reminded me of a 2003 LCD tv.

After the two accidents I said you know what, let me order the Milspec Kyorcera duraforce pro. (I had a Kyocera mil spec prior to the iPhone 7). It had an incredible screen compared to the 7. It had a absolutely horrible battery life despite having a massive 3800 MAH lithium battery, and I hated everything about the android phone and sent it back and ate the $65 between the restocking fee and activation fee. I went to buy an iPhone 8 a few weeks ago and the salesman talked me into waiting for the new release as the 8 had crappy battery life.

Anyways, I was going to order the new XR, but after looking at the specs. Same crappy LCD screen as the 7, only IP 67 water resistant, poor battery life because of the LCD screen and smaller battery, I ordered a new XS. If the XR was $550 then I would've bought it,but not for $750

For $250 more in the XS, you get much much better battery life. IP 68 waterproof, OLED screen with incredible resoulution, etc. etc. And yes, I hate spending $1000 for a cell phone, but the IP68 is what sold me. But I bit the bullet over the $750 XR, plus need a phone now, not in October. But it is true, the capability of what a phone can do is pretty incredibly in such a tight package. I use mine as a wifi and create a hot spot when traveling, it acts as a computer, etc. etc.

The other problem, is Apple (and others) are phasing out the older ones on purpose, either through updates, or non-removable batteries.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
So you might as well buy the one that retains its value better so when it’s time to sell in a year or 3 you keep more of your money and put that towards a new one.
I love this argument. You spend $1k on a new iPhone (base model), and then three years from now, you sell it on Craigslist for ~$400. So that phone's actual sunk cost to you was $600. Or, you buy a OnePlus 6 for $530 (base model) that does 90%+ of what the iPhone does, and is every bit as fast if not faster, and then sell it on Craigslist three years down the road for $250-$300. Sunk cost of that phone is ~$250.

If you want to take this a step further, you'd be miles ahead to buy the new Xiaomi Poco F1 phone for around $279 US (base model), which will do 75% of what a new iPhone will do, and then sell it on Craiglist three years down the road for $100-$150. Even if you simply threw it away and bought a new phone, you'd be money ahead.

Phones are not investments in any sense of the word.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My new company issued me an iPhone 8. It has a smaller screen than my S7 and is noticeably slower at times. I was pretty let down.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post