SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Apple?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With Apple? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
.45 is better than 9mm.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
4 pages in and it's morphed into me "degenerating people who buy $1,000 phones"
Roll Eyes

That's not what I posted in my OP, I was questioning why Apple who always seemed to want to be the company "for the average guy" now seems to not be interested in making phones that are considered entry-level or lower cost for those who don't have a lot of money laying around but would like to have an iPhone.

Why doesn’t Ferrari make a small SUV in the $35000 price range for the average guy who doesn’t have a lot of money laying around but would like to have a Ferrari?

I don’t speak for Apple, but my guess is they make what they believe their shareholders and customers want them to make. I’ve never thought they courted the “average guy” market or touted their products as being for entry-level folks.

My impression is they have always been more about style, design, and function even if at average “performance” based on benchmarks and at a higher price point. That is why I avoided and derided them for a number of years. Once I actually used a Mac, did my own comparisons and realized there is more to “cost” than just the price of the computer, I realized Apple was the better value for me.

Having been through 3-4 android phones, I made the switch to iPhone with the iPhone 5. Being immersed in Apple with computer, tablet, TV, the iPhone is the better choice. If it was just about a phone, I can’t say where I would be. For me though it isn’t just a phone, it is a lot more.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
.45 is better than 9mm.

No it’s not. My Highpoint .45 couldn’t hit shit, my H&K P7 doesn’t miss, even if I try!

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
.45 is better than 9mm.

No it’s not. My Highpoint .45 couldn’t hit shit, my H&K P7 doesn’t miss, even if I try!

LOLOLOLOLOL I think that has to do with the brand and not the bullet!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
BTW IOS 12 is out and available for download. It has some cool new features

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Queue the claims of people complaining it “bricked” there iPhone 3Gs...

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Queue the claims of people complaining it “bricked” there iPhone 3Gs...

iOS 11.x was demonstrably problematical for numerous people until about 11.2 or .3, if memory serves.

I'll wait and see what happens with 12.x before I go "upgrading." Stability and reliability are more important to me than features.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I put iOS 12 on my iPad mini last night and performance is greatly improved. I’ll wait a while before updating my iPhone 6 though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leemur,

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I put iOS 12 on my iPad mini last night and performance is greatly missed improved. I’ll wait a while before updating my iPhone 6 though.

Yep. My 6s plus is even faster. I already downloaded 12 to all my Apple devices. Painless.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I was running the iOS 12 beta on my iPhone 8 (my daily driver) for about a month before it was released and I haven’t come across any issues at all. I installed it on my mom’s iPad Mini 2 yesterday and the difference in speed is definitely noticeable. I think Apple did the right thing by focusing on the experience that got them where they are in the first place, even if it is just boring reliability.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be upgrading from my 8 to the new XS for the bigger screen and it’s supposed to have faster LTE speeds so it should tide me over for a few years while 5G gets fleshed out.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
4 pages in and it's morphed into me "degenerating people who buy $1,000 phones"
Roll Eyes

That's not what I posted in my OP, I was questioning why Apple who always seemed to want to be the company "for the average guy" now seems to not be interested in making phones that are considered entry-level or lower cost for those who don't have a lot of money laying around but would like to have an iPhone.

Why doesn’t Ferrari make a small SUV in the $35000 price range for the average guy who doesn’t have a lot of money laying around but would like to have a Ferrari?

I don’t speak for Apple, but my guess is they make what they believe their shareholders and customers want them to make. I’ve never thought they courted the “average guy” market or touted their products as being for entry-level folks.

My impression is they have always been more about style, design, and function even if at average “performance” based on benchmarks and at a higher price point. That is why I avoided and derided them for a number of years. Once I actually used a Mac, did my own comparisons and realized there is more to “cost” than just the price of the computer, I realized Apple was the better value for me.

Having been through 3-4 android phones, I made the switch to iPhone with the iPhone 5. Being immersed in Apple with computer, tablet, TV, the iPhone is the better choice. If it was just about a phone, I can’t say where I would be. For me though it isn’t just a phone, it is a lot more.

Apple dominates the smartphone profits across the industry, ranging from 65-90% of the profits from this segment. Why would they wish to enter the “break even” portion of the market. Apple’s profitable business model allows them to release a product that they’ll still support four years after it was released.

Having said that, I do wish they’d keep a SE sized phone on the market. I don’t care if it’s older tech. I just like the size. Is there anything in the recent release that says there won’t be an SE2?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put iOS 12 on my iPad mini last night and performance is greatly missed improved...

Huh? Is that good or bad?

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Apple dominates the smartphone profits across the industry, ranging from 65-90% of the profits from this segment. Why would they wish to enter the “break even” portion of the market. Apple’s profitable business model allows them to release a product that they’ll still support four years after it was released.

Having said that, I do wish they’d keep a SE sized phone on the market. I don’t care if it’s older tech. I just like the size. Is there anything in the recent release that says there won’t be an SE2?
Can't remember where I read it, but there was a detailed summary of Apple smart phone sales, and although they were meeting and/or breaking revenue projections, they were doing it on fewer units sold. That 'could' pose issues for Apple as the market moves forward. Only time will tell how it shakes out.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Can't remember where I read it, but there was a detailed summary of Apple smart phone sales, and although they were meeting and/or breaking revenue projections, they were doing it on fewer units sold. That 'could' pose issues for Apple as the market moves forward. Only time will tell how it shakes out.

Market saturation. Apple has already adapted to it, hence breaking revenue projections on fewer units sold.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Market saturation. Apple has already adapted to it, hence breaking revenue projections on fewer units sold.

They made a fortune on their most expensive phone ever, the iPhone X after it came out. It took 35% of the smartphone markets profits in the 4th quarter.

"In total, Apple’s handsets, ranging from the budget-friendly iPhone SE to the expensive iPhone X, earned 90% of the industry’s profits during the fourth quarter."

fortune.com/2018/04/17/apple-iphone-x-profits/

It's pretty hard to top that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
We now have 3 devices updated to iOS 12, as my mom updated her iPhone SE today. Seeing as how the phone has the same hardware as the 6s (a 3-year old phone), it was starting to get a little sluggish. Animations and loading times are significantly faster post update.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Millenials are abandoning computers and tablets.

The phone is quickly becoming the default device for things most people used to do on a computer.
Heck I’m 44 and it’s that way for me. I don’t even own a computer anymore. I went from the iPhone 8+ to the X 256G and preordered the XS Max 512G.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Not me. Small screen no good for the eyes. Watching video, reading, don’t want to do “much” of it on the phone. That’s better on a pad or laptop. iPad is cheaper than an iPhone now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
I put iOS 12 on my iPad mini last night and performance is greatly missed improved...

Huh? Is that good or bad?

Edited. Auto suggest likes throwing in random words sometimes.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TBH whenever I read that Apple reaped the most profit out of the whole smartphone market, it reaffirmed to me that Android is where my money goes the furthest.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post