SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Apple?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With Apple? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Yesterday evening I did some comparisons between the iPhone 6S, 7 and 8. (The iPhone X I regard as too big.)

The new Xs iPhone (which is the same as last year's 'X' model) is .15" wider and .21" taller than the 6s, and it has a 5.8" screen vs 4" for the 6s. 

Hmmm... I didn't catch that. That would be doable--save the cost.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll add that this year the company bought me a mid-plus tier iMac for the home office I usually work out of.

I run it next to my personal MBP (2014) and honestly, I've kept doing most of my work on my MBP, since the iMac is so laggy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
So you might as well buy the one that retains its value better so when it’s time to sell in a year or 3 you keep more of your money and put that towards a new one.
I love this argument. You spend $1k on a new iPhone (base model), and then three years from now, you sell it on Craigslist for ~$400. So that phone's actual sunk cost to you was $600. Or, you buy a OnePlus 6 for $530 (base model) that does 90%+ of what the iPhone does, and is every bit as fast if not faster, and then sell it on Craigslist three years down the road for $250-$300. Sunk cost of that phone is ~$250.

If you want to take this a step further, you'd be miles ahead to buy the new Xiaomi Poco F1 phone for around $279 US (base model), which will do 75% of what a new iPhone will do, and then sell it on Craiglist three years down the road for $100-$150. Even if you simply threw it away and bought a new phone, you'd be money ahead.

Phones are not investments in any sense of the word.

Bad comparo. Both those phones are crapola and aren’t even in the same solar system as an iPhone.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yesterday evening I did some comparisons between the iPhone 6S, 7 and 8. (The iPhone X I regard as too big.)

The new Xs iPhone (which is the same as last year's 'X' model) is .15" wider and .21" taller than the 6s, and it has a 5.8" screen vs 4" for the 6s. 

The new XR is he same seize with the new chip and $250 cheaper

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
So you might as well buy the one that retains its value better so when it’s time to sell in a year or 3 you keep more of your money and put that towards a new one.
I love this argument. You spend $1k on a new iPhone (base model), and then three years from now, you sell it on Craigslist for ~$400. So that phone's actual sunk cost to you was $600. Or, you buy a OnePlus 6 for $530 (base model) that does 90%+ of what the iPhone does, and is every bit as fast if not faster, and then sell it on Craigslist three years down the road for $250-$300. Sunk cost of that phone is ~$250.

If you want to take this a step further, you'd be miles ahead to buy the new Xiaomi Poco F1 phone for around $279 US (base model), which will do 75% of what a new iPhone will do, and then sell it on Craiglist three years down the road for $100-$150. Even if you simply threw it away and bought a new phone, you'd be money ahead.

Not everyone wants android. I don’t care how good an android phone is I don’t like the platform and I have tried it multiple times.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes but has a LCD screen with really poor resolution, and battery life that is much less than the XS. It does share the same chip, camera and a lot of other things.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bad comparo. Both those phones are crapola and aren’t even in the same solar system as an iPhone.
Spoken like a true Apple bigot. I've carried a OnePlus 3T (almost three years now), and it ran neck in neck across the board against the iPhone 6 that was released at the same time while costing me $399. To say OnePlus is both junk and "not even in the same solar system as an iPhone" means you know nothing about OnePlus products.

My financial comparison stands. And if you still think a cellular phone is an 'investment', I've got some ocean front property in Arizona you might be interested in.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not everyone wants android. I don’t care how good an android phone is I don’t like the platform and I have tried it multiple times.
Point taken about user preference. My comparison was not to put one ecosystem above the other (I think both have their advantages/disadvantages), but to dispel the idea that a cellular phone was some kind of investment, and that owning a $1k+ iPhone was a better financial move in the long run.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Problem with the missing 10-25% of “...what an iPhone does” is that it includes the seamless integration between my phone, iPad, MacBook, watch, wife’s iPhone, iPad, and watch as well as my chosen music streaming service and vehicle functionality.

I get that lots of people don’t care about these things, so don’t buy an iPhone. I don’t have Apple stock so whether other folks buy their stuff or not makes no difference to me.

What I find curious though is the folks who vociferously argue against high end iPhones (or any high end gadget for that matter) and feel the need to ridicule or dismiss those with a different opinion.

Kinda like the anti-gunners who instead of just not buying a gun, don’t want anyone else to buy one either.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
What’s even more ridiculous is the price of some of these android phones. They don’t hold their value near as well as iPhones.
Hold their value? It's an electronic device, not real estate.

Further, it's possible to get a very good, not cutting edge, but very good Android phone, for much less than the Google Pixel, Samsung S9, or iPhone prices.

Case in point:
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/motorola-moto-g6-review/

That phone can be used with an provider, as long as you have the SIM card for that provider (which your old phone would have), and comes with no "bloatware," if you don't buy it from a service provider. It's currently going for $240 at Costco and $215 on Amazon.

That's just one example, there are others.

If you absolutely must have "cutting edge," then you're stuck paying $800+ (including up to $1500 for an iPhone). However, if you can live with very good (and everyone really can), you can have it for a very reasonable price.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Spoken like a true Apple bigot. I've carried a OnePlus 3T (almost three years now), and it ran neck in neck across the board against the iPhone 6 that was released at the same time while costing me $399. To say OnePlus is both junk and "not even in the same solar system as an iPhone" means you know nothing about OnePlus products.

My financial comparison stands. And if you still think a cellular phone is an 'investment', I've got some ocean front property in Arizona you might be interested in.

My statement about oneplus stands. Be fair and compare flagship phones from Samsung and Google. You’ll find the iphones hold their value better and Apple has a higher customer satisfaction rating. Never said a phone was an investment. A daily driven car isn’t an investment either, but there is no arguing that Hondas hold their value better than Fords.

FYI, Android made me an Apple user. Wink

———————————————

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Problem with the missing 10-25% of “...what an iPhone does” is that it includes the seamless integration between my phone, iPad, MacBook, watch, wife’s iPhone, iPad, and watch as well as my chosen music streaming service and vehicle functionality.

I get that lots of people don’t care about these things, so don’t buy an iPhone. I don’t have Apple stock so whether other folks buy their stuff or not makes no difference to me.

What I find curious though is the folks who vociferously argue against high end iPhones (or any high end gadget for that matter) and feel the need to ridicule or dismiss those with a different opinion.

Kinda like the anti-gunners who instead of just not buying a gun, don’t want anyone else to buy one either.

Perfectly stated.

———————————————

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
I don’t see what the problem is. Want a top of the line German engineered car that costs more than its worth, then buy a Mercedes. If not, buy a Honda. Want to spend a shit ton of money on a new iPhone, then have at it. If not, then buy something else. I dont understand the vitriol from people who,say they dont care about having the newest and greatest iPhones. If tou want one, buy it, if not, then don’t.

Not everyone who is a frequent user of a high end phone is a Facebook addicted drone.

Nailed it

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyways, I was going to order the new XR, but after looking at the specs. Same crappy LCD screen as the 7, only IP 67 water resistant, poor battery life because of the LCD screen and smaller battery, I ordered a new XS. If the XR was $550 then I would've bought it,but not for $750

Actually, if you go back through the information, the iPhone XR is supposed to have the best battery life out of all of Apple’s iPhones.

https://iphone.appleinsider.co...e-of-any-iphone-ever

The physical size is the only thing that is really keeping me from getting the XR as I love the size of my 8. Also, having bounced back and forth between the iPhone 8 and X, the battery life of the 8 ran circles around that of the X, but YMMV.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got my numbers confused a bit. Your 6s has a 4.7" screen, not 4". The dimensions of the phone bodies are correct, though, and the Xs does have a 5.8" screen (bezel-less, all screen)

The cost of the Xs puts me off a bit too, which is why I am considering the new Xr, at $749. It has an advanced LCD display, rather than the OLED of the Xs models, but is feature-wise the same (FaceID and all). It is also slightly larger than the Xs, at 2.98" x 5.94", but that small bit of extra size gives you a 6.1" screen, vs 5.8" for the Xs, again all screen and bezel-less. Their move to a bezel-less format allows much bigger screens relative to the physical size of the phone.

Somehow, your being an IT and security professional, I just can't see you going back to the Android platform. Be nice if we could install Postfix on either platform, though, eh? Yes, I follow the Postfix-users list.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Don’t need or want one?

Don’t buy it!

Plenty of cheaper flip phones out there for the haters! Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My statement about oneplus stands. Be fair and compare flagship phones from Samsung and Google. You’ll find the iphones hold their value better and Apple has a higher customer satisfaction rating. Never said a phone was an investment. A daily driven car isn’t an investment either, but there is no arguing that Hondas hold their value better than Fords.

FYI, Android made me an Apple user. Wink

But saying that the OnePlus is crapola.. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah... I won't be paying $750 for a phone Smile

I'll have to wait until X's start appearing on Swappa in the sub-$300 range before I'll be upgrading again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My brother who lives overseas but travels a ton and runs his multi-million dollar business from his phone is super excited about the dual sim capability’s of the new phones. He had lines in the US and abroad so this will simplify things for him.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah... I won't be paying $750 for a phone Smile

I'll have to wait until X's start appearing on Swappa in the sub-$300 range before I'll be upgrading again.

I’ll be selling my X soon but not for $300 lol