SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    4x4 ATV guys step inside...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4x4 ATV guys step inside... Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
It looks more & more like I'll want one of these up at the cabin. I'll buy used when I sort it all out. I've seen Polaris, Arctic Cat, Honda, etc., etc. Not a side by side. Not a hot rod. More like something to haul a wagon of rock or a deer.

So who makes the good ones? Any I should stay away from?

In general, I'm talking about something like this:

https://lasvegas.craigslist.or...-4x4/6378073724.html

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want to haul stuff and not trail ride, you may want to consider the Polaris 6x6. The dump box is very handy for hauling wood, supplies, whatever.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Well I'll also be trail riding. I figured towing a wagon would handle the light hauling I'd do.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I like the Polaris X2, good mix of work and play capabilities with convertible 2 person seating.

https://atv.polaris.com/en-us/sportsman-x2-570/

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Getting 'page not found' on your link.
But, we've had good luck with a Gator & Mule down on our property.

My parents also had a newer Honda 4wheeler, 4wd, automatic trans & would hit 54mph with me & my wife on it. Should be sufficient power for some light towing.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
BTW, Nevada requires liability insurance on anything with side by side seating. Go figure.

The link works for me. Anyone else?

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I like the Polaris X2, good mix of work and play capabilities with convertible 2 person seating.

https://atv.polaris.com/en-us/sportsman-x2-570/

That's the type I'm talking about.

posted Hide Post
The Polaris 570 is very solid.Lots of power and
very stable on trail or whatever.
I have a 550 and 570 and have not had a lick of
trouble with either.
If you buy used, try to find something with power
steering.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Honda I think it was in 2004. I have run the hell out of it and the only maintenance I’ve done is replace the spark plug a few times. I’ve cut up many trees into 10 foot sections and used it to pull them into the woods. I pull a 14ft utility trailer around the property with it. Sometimes it sits for months at the time without being started. To say it’s been reliable is an understatement.

Posts: 149 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I’ll put a plug in for a Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak with the 708cc engine. The Grizzly is more comfortable riding trails and the Kodiak is more of the workhorse around the property.

I have. 2016 Grizzly and absolutely love it for trail riding. You can circumcise a baby while speeding down a trail at 45mph. Perfect! Wink

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
You may want to reconsider a side by side. I have a Polaris Ranger and the dump body is extremely useful. You can load it up with almost anything, so the extra expense of a trailer may not be necessary. You can seat 2-3 people easy, and it has a trailer hitch.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
I’ll put a plug in for a Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak with the 708cc engine. The Grizzly is more comfortable riding trails and the Kodiak is more of the workhorse around the property.

I have. 2016 Grizzly and absolutely love it for trail riding. You can circumcise a baby while speeding down a trail at 45mph. Perfect! Wink

This man knows of what he speaks.

I have the Yamaha too and it has been great.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Might want to research that article cat a little more. Around that time they switched from Kawasaki motors to making their own.

I never trust first year model changes.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I considered a side by side for a while and ended up buying a Jeep Wrangler instead. 6 to 7 grand will get a 4 cylinder in decent shape with a heater, windows and a roof. Obviously it's not brand new but I can do most of my own work should it need some. This seemed like a better deal for me but might not be for you.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2007 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 with manual shift. Great little machine that will haul just about anything you're brave enough to try on some of the gnarliest of mud slicked hills you want to look at. Before it, I had a Honda Rancher 350 manual shift full time 4x4. It was equally capable but was totaled by my wifes cousin so I ended up with the 420. Anything made by Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki are great (and my suggestion to you in that order). Arctic Cat and Polaris have never done well for my family as whomever bought one has always had a problem. Good luck!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have an Older Honda Foreman 4x4 450. and it is a workhorse.. it will go through about anything with the 4x4, it climbs hills I can barely walk up. and it will pull a trailer well. I have even pulled out a friends truck that was stuck in the mud. I have the front and rear luggage racks and they hold all I can stack on them. It is easier to go through the woods than any side by side due to clearance.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 550 here. I use it for plowing snow, hauling out elk, pulling trailers, playing, etc.... It's been a great machine and I don't have any complaints.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Grizzly is a good one and if you want no frills but reliable the Honda’s Last forever.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
For an ATV - I love my Honda Rancher Rubicon.

For UTV - I use a Polaris Ranger at work and would strongly recommend you consider this one.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post