SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    sf pilots (and air traffic controllers)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sf pilots (and air traffic controllers) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by SilverWolf:
Always amused by the term "air traffic controllers". Not really...they are "advisors". The Captain is the final authority...always. Wink
Yeah, but if you do not comply with ATC instructions, you will have some 'splaining to do. Ask me how I know.

Bad news comes by registered mail.

End of the day, when the wreckage quits burning and the smoke goes away, the controller goes home, and sleeps in his own bed.

What's left of the crew gets scraped into a matchbox and sent home to mom.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4b3d8f81&opt=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMUJnFr99rY

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
quote:
Always amused by the term "air traffic controllers". Not really...they are "advisors". The Captain is the final authority...always. Wink
Yeah, but if you do not comply with ATC instructions, you will have some 'splaining to do. Ask me how I know.

End of the day, when the wreckage quits burning and the smoke goes away, the controller goes home, and sleeps in his own bed.

What's left of the crew gets scraped into a matchbox and sent home to mom.
Take a look at the airport diagram for KPBI.

"Cleared to land 28L" does NOT mean "It's OK dude, you can land on taxiway Lima."

No, I was not the pilot flying. I was on board, right seat, my attention was diverted elsewhere (a heavy departing the parallel runway north of us, an 80 degree crosswind from the north right at the POH demonstrated crosswind number (17 kts in a Bonanza), and a few other things going on). I looked forward just prior to touchdown and started to tell the pilot that he was about to land on a taxiway, but I was a few seconds too late.

As I said, bad news comes by registered mail. I was not "officially" involved, but I did show the pilot how to file an ASRS form. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yep, I have one of those framed on my office wall. Also have received a couple of radio transmissions from Ground advising they have a phone number for me to call.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMUJnFr99rY

That is downright spooky! Fault to go around on everybody involved. The controller should have never issued at or above 7800'. The pilots should have never accepted it per their approach briefing.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy: Visual approach, yes. VFR airport traffic patterns, no. Not just domestic US, but abroad, in places with a lot more mountains and a lot more rural, and still the procedures get flown. In fact, it's even more important in such locations, and slicing two minutes off a procedure is no valid reason to compromise anything, including a visual approach flown backed up with an instrument procedure, and a stabilized approach.

Just so I understand what you're trying to say: Let's take a Part 121 flight from SLC to JAC, day, CAVU. Runway 19 is in use. ATC gives you the descent into JAC, you call the field in sight and ATC clears you for the visual approach to runway 19 and to switch to tower.

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1804/00504IYL19.PDF

It sounds like you are going to level off at MEA and keep driving north to the IAF DUNOIR? Or cut it short and hang a left 180 to intercept QUIRT heading 187 degrees no lower than 11000? If not either of those two options, how would you make your approach?

We would simply tune in the ILS for runway 19, configure and descend to arrive on downwind east of the field, then turn left on base around the 1200' chocolate drop (terrain). Obviously keeping an eye on the terrain, we'd also watch the DME and do the "300' per nautical mile" math to be aware of where the glideslope was. Only thing left to do was turn to final centered on glideslope with a stabilized aircraft.

That is a "Visual Approach under IFR rules" executed like a VFR Pattern.

And of course you know the return flight to SLC has you landing north with nobody on final, so the controllers give you the slam-dunk visual into 34L. Certainly you're not going to drive all the way south to the IAF at Fairfield, are you?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at the airport diagram for KPBI.

"Cleared to land 28L" does NOT mean "It's OK dude, you can land on taxiway Lima."

No, I was not the pilot flying. I was on board, right seat, my attention was diverted elsewhere (a heavy departing the parallel runway north of us, an 80 degree crosswind from the north right at the POH demonstrated crosswind number (17 kts in a Bonanza), and a few other things going on). I looked forward just prior to touchdown and started to tell the pilot that he was about to land on a taxiway, but I was a few seconds too late.

As I said, bad news comes by registered mail. I was not "officially" involved, but I did show the pilot how to file an ASRS form. Smile

You're the first person in the history of aviation to do that.

If it makes you feel better, I worked for a firm that made a slight miscalculation departing JFK on 31L. Despite a double crew on board, including check airmen, they managed to line up not on the centerline, but the runway edge, and took out a number of lights along the edge. Despite this faux pas, nobody noticed. None of the crew said anything, none of the aircraft on the parallel taxiway, holding in sequence for departure, said anything.

The crew landed at Newark, and a call came from the Port Authority, asking what happened to all the runway lights. One of the flight engineers, on his post-flight walk-around, found one of the runway lights embedded in the underside of the horizontal stabilizer.

Stuff happens.

quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Just so I understand what you're trying to say: Let's take a Part 121 flight from SLC to JAC, day, CAVU. Runway 19 is in use. ATC gives you the descent into JAC, you call the field in sight and ATC clears you for the visual approach to runway 19 and to switch to tower.

It sounds like you are going to level off at MEA and keep driving north to the IAF DUNOIR? Or cut it short and hang a left 180 to intercept QUIRT heading 187 degrees no lower than 11000? If not either of those two options, how would you make your approach?

A turbine VFR traffic pattern at KJAC is 8,000'.

You're talking about descending off the enroute to turn at QUIRT, which is 16 nm from the runway. Minimum altitude at quirt is 11,000' (or 14,100' if outbound for the procedure turn). You indicate passing QUIRT at 12,000. This is exactly as I described, and not in the least a VFR traffic pattern. You're picking up the ILS outside the GSIA/FAF, and flying the approach on a sixteen mile final. Not remotely like bopping into the VFR traffic pattern and landing.

If you're turning near SOSUE then yes, it's closer to a light airplane traffic pattern; not typical for 121 operations, and not at most busy airfields. Sounds like Skywest.

I've been in and out of Jackson a lot; daytime in small aircraft, no problem. Night or larger aircraft, I go farther out and fly the approach.

quote:

That is a "Visual Approach under IFR rules" executed like a VFR Pattern.

A visual approach is an IFR clearance, yes.

quote:
And of course you know the return flight to SLC has you landing north with nobody on final, so the controllers give you the slam-dunk visual into 34L. Certainly you're not going to drive all the way south to the IAF at Fairfield, are you?

I've landed 34L from 1-2 miles west of the field, at 18,000 in a tight, steep descent, but that's not a typical 121 arrival now, is it?

Descending off the enroute structure, whatever descent allows for a comfortable arrival to the visual with a standard 3 degree glidepath to the runway works, so long as it meets stable approach criteria and you remain at or above the slideslope provided for that runway. Typically you'd be joining the final somewhere outside FLLAG, at or above 6,100' anyway.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:

What ever you want to call them, it’s a hell of a job. Let’s turn the system off for a week and see how it all works out. It wore me out after 29 years, so I retired. Now I enjoy just taking care of the one we’re flying.

I get that you’re the PIC, but you are also part of a system. Buck it and see how long you last.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:

What ever you want to call them, it’s a hell of a job. Let’s turn the system off for a week and see how it all works out. It wore me out after 29 years, so I retired. Now I enjoy just taking care of the one we’re flying.

I get that you’re the PIC, but you are also part of a system. Buck it and see how long you last.

Clearly you've never flown into Lagos.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I still fall back to the fact that, ‘it can depend’ on all types of factors, for most everything. I refer to traffic, approaches, and then what flight profile do we follow on a STAR, even when proceeding visually.

The altitude restrictions on a STAR will keep you out of trouble(terrain). Flying many places outside the USA it’s almost always the best way to proceed, even mandated by OPSPECS.

Many years back I was at a safety brief with the Air Wing Commander(CVW-1). He went on to talk about the various regulations and safety protocol we operate under. He then left room for a category he called ‘jungle rules’. That would be a situation that isn’t directly addressed in any recognized directive, where one does what makes sense. I still use that adage today.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
quote:

Yep, I have one of those framed on my office wall. Also have received a couple of radio transmissions from Ground advising they have a phone number for me to call.
I no longer go to those weekend-long CFI renewal seminars -- the Gleim online course is way less costly, and with my hearing loss, a text-based course is better for me than straining to understand a speaker.

However, back when I did go to the seminars, I always enjoyed the one-hour segment given by a local attorney. He is ATP pilot, ex-Navy pilot, and a large part of his law practice is aviation law.

In the CFI seminar he preaches about law, the FARs, and so on. One of the things he emphasizes: when they give you a phone number to call, be polite, thank them for the information, but DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, CALL THAT NUMBER! If you call anybody, call him, call another aviation lawyer, or call AOPA's legal department.

He goes on to state that nowhere, repeat NO PLACE, in the FARs is there a requirement for anybody to comply with the request to call the phone number.

The local FAA people are not real fond of the fact that he disseminates this information, but they are unable to refute it. He speaks the truth.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, CALL THAT NUMBER!

Even in flight school, 23 years ago, they were telling us the same thing. Big Grin

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same is true when responding to a letter of investigation by the FAA. The only purpose of that phone call, or that letter they ask you to send back, is to gather statements to use against you in the appeal process.

Under administrative law (eg, procedings relative to FAA regulation), you are guilty until proven innocent.

Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I learned *not* to call the number the hard way back in the 70's. Phone number was FSDO inspector's home phone; he thought my Super Decathlon was affected by extreme turbulence as he saw it roll inverted over his mountain cabin - which was 2.4nm from the centerline of a V airway.

Subsequent call requests were not honored Big Grin

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I learned *not* to call the number the hard way back in the 70's. Phone number was FSDO inspector's home phone; he thought my Super Decathlon was affected by extreme turbulence as he saw it roll inverted over his mountain cabin - which was 2.4nm from the centerline of a V airway.

Subsequent call requests were not honored Big Grin

Simple. Tell them you were flying a back course ILS. You were inverted to take advantage of normal sensing. Problem solved.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Another help visualizing this is Flight Aware. Search on KLAS and expand the screen to a convenient scale. You can see which planes are where, keep refreshing to see movement, etc. Arrivals in blue, departures in green.
I check in on flightaware to see what's going on. We've been having northerly winds for a few days so everyone was coming in straight into 26, and also landing and taking off of rwy 8.

Question for commercial pilots. Do you have set your own route, cruising altitude - based on winds, fuel savings (higher/lower for lighter winds, avoiding jet stream maxes, avoiding head wind components, etc.)? Within the confines of set routes / set altitudes, I would think.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Another help visualizing this is Flight Aware. Search on KLAS and expand the screen to a convenient scale. You can see which planes are where, keep refreshing to see movement, etc. Arrivals in blue, departures in green.
I check in on flightaware to see what's going on. We've been having northerly winds for a few days so everyone was coming in straight into 26, and also landing and taking off of rwy 8.

Question for commercial pilots. Do you have set your own route, cruising altitude - based on winds, fuel savings (higher/lower for lighter winds, avoiding jet stream maxes, avoiding head wind components, etc.)? Within the confines of set routes / set altitudes, I would think.

With all the app based flight planning available, you can look at the affect of different altitudes and routes and save much time and money by avoiding stong winds. ForeFlight is the app I use the most.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

Depends which commercial pilots. If you mean airline pilots, no. Flight plans and flight releases are issued by dispatchers in the company who have done analysis on everything from the runways to the cruise altitudes. Cruise altitudes are based on aircraft weight, air temperature at altitude, and winds, as well as direction of travel.

Turbojet aircraft flying at higher altitudes will have an optimum altitude for the weight at which the aircraft operates most efficiently. At altitudes above or below this altitude, efficiency suffers; altitudes are planned around optimum altitude, taking into account the other factors, including wind. For shorter legs, such as Los Angeles to Las Vegas, the aircraft won't be in the air long enough in most cases to climb to optimum, and typically will be held at lower altitudes. On longer legs, the aircraft may "step climb" several times to the optimum altitude as fuel burns off and weight changes.

Turbulence levels at altitude also determine where the aircraft operates. The flight plan has been arranged and filed by the dispatcher, but operationally, the pilot may request a different altitude or changes in routing due to winds, turbulence, and enroute weather.

Altitudes on the departure and arrival are predicated on traffic, procedures in use, weather, and other factors.

Commercial pilots in other types of operations, such as corporate, air ambulance, charter, etc, will typically do their own flight planning and filing of flight plans, as well as arranging their own altitudes in conjunction with air traffic control.