SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    sf pilots (and air traffic controllers)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sf pilots (and air traffic controllers) Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Another help visualizing this is Flight Aware. Search on KLAS and expand the screen to a convenient scale. You can see which planes are where, keep refreshing to see movement, etc. Arrivals in blue, departures in green.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Another help visualizing this is Flight Aware. Search on KLAS and expand the screen to a convenient scale. You can see which planes are where, keep refreshing to see movement, etc. Arrivals in blue, departures in green.
Cool - thanks.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
This is your problem guppy. You don’t know wtf you are talking about sometimes. Are you really going to stick with your statement that Airlines don’t fly visual patterns as described at large airports all over this country regularly? Because that is what you posted. You are wrong. I don’t need to convince you since you are clearly telling me that I haven’t flown that pattern into LAX, SFO, ATL, DTW, IAH, MCO, BWI, IAD, DEN, etc.

It happens ALL THE TIME. You can straw man all you want but the reality is you don’t know what you are talking about on this one. Doesn’t make you a bad guy but wrong is wrong. Being louder doesn’t make your false statement any truer.

Tell me again how airliners don’t take visuals from downwind (or wherever) into major airports on a regular basis. On Monday on my next trip I will dedicate every visual to you the all knowing.

Airlines and 121 operations do not typically fly traffic patterns and visual patterns. If you're flying for Podunk Air in your BE-1900, maybe you do find yourself reporting on the 45 to the left downwind behind Ma Kettle in her Cirrus or Luscombe, but no, 121 operations generally do not fly visual patterns, and the closest that operators come are either circling approaches, or being cleared for a visual. Vectors on a wide down wind or vectors to final do not count.

Being cleared for the visual with a turn to intercept a localizer doesn't count either, and in any case, if the airport is served by a glideslope or glidepath indicator, you have a legal obligation to remain or or above it during your approach. Coupled with the requirement to fly a stable approach, you don't have a legal option to simply bust in and land however your heart might desire. You still must arrive at final able to fly the same glidepath (and in today's world of constant descent or fight path angle) steady, stable approach to landing.

How many more decades of widebody international do I need before I reach your level of understanding, then? Just curious, as I don't have them left to do, you see.

Now certainly if you're in a Lear 25 you can enter the downwind at 18,000 and with boards at idle, make the runway. I've done it...though not with passengers aboard. You can do a lot of things outside of 121 operations. Overhead breaks, whatever, but these are not airline actions. Neither is flying a visual traffic pattern to a landing. Even when given a visual, if the runway is served with an approach, it's prudent to fly that visual backed with the approach, and set up for the approach, and the intelligent, proessional crew does. If you're flying for Rambling Regional and can't wait to get to the terminal to push your way to burger king with your backpack slung, then perhaps you don't...but flying a stable visual on glidepath and on glideslope is something the rest of us do, and have done for a long time.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
I think what we have here is a misunderstanding due to semantics. Take a deep breath everybody. I think we are all saying basically the same thing in different ways. I too have flown as PIC in turbine equipment to every major airport in the U.S. as well. Several decades of it, CFII, MEI, ATP and 5 type ratings. I state my experience so you know I am not speaking out of my arse.

Let's say, for instance, you are approaching Dulles or Atlanta from the north and they are landing north. If traffic allows, you will get cleared for the visual approach and of course you will fly a left or right downwind, base and final. There is no other way to get there. If you are approaching from the east or west, you will most likely fly a base leg to final. This is where an uncontrolled field vs. a controlled field differ. At an uncontrolled field, you ain't 'posed to do base or final entries unless an instrument approach leads you there and conditions dictate.

Really 121 has nothing to do with it beyond your company ops specs. It is going to happen the same way for a United 757 as it will for a part 91 Gulfstream. Performance is basically the same on a radar screen. When it is not, ATC adjusts spacing.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Or one of my favorites, the ‘dogleg’ to final.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Cool - thanks.

There is an app, Flightradar24, that may be even cooler.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
what are you twelve years old? get the fuck out of here if you're going to argue.
Um, dude, Pedro actually does know what he is speaking about. I have stayed out of this thread until now, but your remark is uncalled for.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
At an uncontrolled field, you ain't 'posed to do base or final entries unless an instrument approach leads you there and conditions dictate.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. There is no regulatory requirement to fly a full pattern (downwind, base, final) at a non-towered field. No requirement at all, to make any turns on arrival, a straight-in or a base leg entry is perfectly acceptable, with two caveats:
  1. You do not need to make any turns at all, but if you do, those turns should be in the direction of the standard pattern for that airport / runway. Usually left, but right hand pattern might be specified.

2. Thou shalt not use an abbreviated pattern (base entry, or straight-in) to cut off traffic that is flying a full (standard) pattern.
Use of the radio, announcing intentions, position, etc., but there is always a good chance of no-radio aircraft at non-towered fields, so nothing beats careful looking.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Book time. Right outta the AIM. Just so every one gets it correct.

5-4-20. VISUAL APPROACH

a. A visual approach is conducted on an IFR flight plan and authorizes a pilot to proceed visually and clear of clouds to the airport. The pilot must have either the airport or the preceding identified aircraft in sight. This approach must be authorized and controlled by the appropriate air traffic control facility. Reported weather at the airport must have a ceiling at or above 1,000 feet and visibility 3 miles or greater. ATC may authorize this type approach when it will be operationally beneficial. Visual approaches are an IFR procedure conducted under IFR in visual meteorological conditions. Cloud clearance requirements of 14 CFR 91.155 are not applicable, unless required by operation specifications.

I miss spoke in my last.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
At an uncontrolled field, you ain't 'posed to do base or final entries unless an instrument approach leads you there and conditions dictate.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. There is no regulatory requirement to fly a full pattern (downwind, base, final) at a non-towered field. No requirement at all, to make any turns on arrival, a straight-in or a base leg entry is perfectly acceptable, with two caveats:
  1. You do not need to make any turns at all, but if you do, those turns should be in the direction of the standard pattern for that airport / runway. Usually left, but right hand pattern might be specified.

2. Thou shalt not use an abbreviated pattern (base entry, or straight-in) to cut off traffic that is flying a full (standard) pattern.
Use of the radio, announcing intentions, position, etc., but there is always a good chance of no-radio aircraft at non-towered fields, so nothing beats careful looking.

Notice I said "ain't 'posed to", as in not recommended. Here is the thing. You will not find a regulation requiring a full pattern, but in the AIM, you will find recommended pattern entry and departure procedures. So, if something bad happens while you are doing a non-standard entry, you will be violated with the catch-all 91.13 "careless and reckless operation". But, you are technically correct.

I have a story about a fed going all Sgt. Carter/Gomer Pyle on me for this same scenario. Short version, we were landing in a midwest uncontrolled field. I hear an airline turbo-prop call in on frequency and approach issue holding instructions because we were closer. Being the nice guy I am Smile , we canceled IFR so he could continue towards the field. I did not do a full pattern. I did a right base to final, just like I would have done on the visual and I honestly don't know if it was a L or R hand pattern airport. When we got on the ground, I got a face full of Sgt. Carter threatening me. I told him I was on an IFR flight plan. He said "you canceled and you better go read your FAR/AIM boy". I then realized that this over heated servant of the people was sitting jumpseat in that B-1900, probably doing a line check. I just kept repeating "yes sir" until he walked away.

My point is, there is nothing regulatory against it, but there is published guidance on what is recommended.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

• Thou shalt not use an abbreviated pattern (base entry, or straight-in) to cut off traffic that is flying a full (standard) pattern.[/list]Use of the radio, announcing intentions, position, etc., but there is always a good chance of no-radio aircraft at non-towered fields, so nothing beats careful looking.

• Careful looking even beats radio aircraft calling out ”turning final runway 9” when actually turning final for runway 27. This woman was doing touch and goes like she always did, but for some mysterious reason, everyone else was calling it runway 9 that day. Yikes!

אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Careful looking even beats radio aircraft calling out ”turning final runway 9” when actually turning final for runway 27. This woman was doing touch and goes like she always did, but for some mysterious reason, everyone else was calling it runway 9 that day. Yikes!
    Yeah, that has happened to me. Right runway, wrong end. Smile

Even worse than 9 / 27, are runways like 02 / 20, or 13 / 31. Lord help you if you are lysdexic.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Character, above all else
    Picture of Tailhook 84
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sns3guppy: How many more decades of widebody international do I need before I reach your level of understanding, then? Just curious, as I don't have them left to do, you see.

Just curious how much 121 operations time you have in Montana and Wyoming? We did a LOT of visual / pattern work in the venerable 727 and 737. (Lots of Special Green Page procedures for those areas as well.)

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
    [
    Just curious how much 121 operations time you have in Montana and Wyoming? We did a LOT of visual / pattern work in the venerable 727 and 737. (Lots of Special Green Page procedures for those areas as well.)

Quite a bit and a lot more low level firefighting in those locations. And I lived there. I've even circled at Aspen when it was still allowed (albeit in a LR35, not 121). A lot of mountain flying, and I don't recall ever doing a 121, or even 91K VFR traffic pattern. Visual approach, yes. VFR airport traffic patterns, no. Not just domestic US, but abroad, in places with a lot more mountains and a lot more rural, and still the procedures get flown. In fact, it's even more important in such locations, and slicing two minutes off a procedure is no valid reason to compromise anything, including a visual approach flown backed up with an instrument procedure, and a stabilized approach.

Many 121 operators won't even circle today.

posted Hide Post
    Wow. I don’t need to defend myself but the level of quackery is high. I don’t jump into crop dusting or fire fighting threads spouting bullshit because I don’t do that kind of flying. Funny thing is, this thread concerns exactly the kind of flying I do for a living. Flew in the Navy went straight to the Majors. Been at my airline for nearing 20 years.

When cut loose on a visual I fly the exact same pattern as depicted on that chart. Of course it’s wider than a general aviation aircraft because my plane is a lot heavier, faster, and requires a bigger turn radius. Smaller slower airplanes fly tighter downwinds. Bigger faster fly wider downwinds.

You guys can (guppy) can keep telling me how things work in the big bad world of Airlines but that doesn’t make him any less wrong every time he does.

To recap, once cleared for the visual the airline pilot flies whatever pattern that is safe and expeditious to the numbers. In most cases that means a downwind entry as pictured, a base entry, or a straight in. If you enter the downwind you absolutely fly it identically to a small GA aircraft with the allowance that it is wider because your plane can’t turn as tight as a small plane.

Argue all day about this but that is the truth.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I don’t jump into crop dusting or fire fighting threads spouting bullshit because I don’t do that kind of flying.

And you shouldn't, because as you succinctly put it, you'd be out of your depth.

I wouldn't be, however.

quote:
    Funny thing is, this thread concerns exactly the kind of flying I do for a living.

Me too. Again, captain on widebody equipment flying internationally...and yet you keep telling me I'm "out of my depth." I've been doing this a lot longer than you, too..but you seem to feel that I need more experience. What color is the kettle again, pot?

quote:
    If you enter the downwind you absolutely fly it identically to a small GA aircraft with the allowance that it is wider because your plane can’t turn as tight as a small plane.

No, not really. Perhaps out of the navy you never got any experience in small GA aircraft, so you really don't know the difference? Sure sounds that way. At any rate, enjoy your second career. At 20 years in, you should know what you're talking about. Your commends just don't sound much like it.

For the original poster, I have all the approach procedures for LAS here on an ipad, but I have no idea how to post them here so you can see them. It would make a little more sense if you could see the procedure as its charted, in relation to the runways, airport, and surrounding area. Bottom line is that aircraft are brought in from different directions on fairly standard arrival routing, then sent to the appropriate runway via "radar vectors" that tell the pilot what direction to fly. If cleared for a visual, the pilot will join a portion of the instrument approach while maintaining his own separation with the aircraft ahead. Aircraft are sequenced, or arranged, according to a number of criteria, as we have discussed. Aircraft coming from different directions merge at some point when going to the same runway, and you may be seeing some of that with what looks like aircraft "cutting in front of" other aircraft.

Light airplane VFR traffic patterns (per the original diagram) are not typical in airline operations, though portions of the pattern relate (opposite direction of land is called "downwind," and right angles to the final approach are the "base," and so forth).

Picture of SilverWolf
    posted Hide Post
    Always amused by the term "air traffic controllers". Not really...they are "advisors". The Captain is the final authority...always. Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Quite so.

אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SilverWolf:
    Always amused by the term "air traffic controllers". Not really...they are "advisors". The Captain is the final authority...always. Wink
    Yeah, but if you do not comply with ATC instructions, you will have some 'splaining to do. Ask me how I know.

Bad news comes by registered mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by SilverWolf:
    Yeah, but if you do not comply with ATC instructions, you will have some 'splaining to do. Ask me how I know.

Bad news comes by registered mail.

“Unable.”