SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corrine Brown found guilty on fraud and tax evasion charges
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corrine Brown found guilty on fraud and tax evasion charges Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The Wiley plea mentioned above is interesting.

One Door was never a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.

"at no time have contributions to One Door qualified as deductible charitable contributions"

lot of donors no doubt wrote off $ 800k of contributions

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
She thought she was being solicited to raise $$ to fight Brown's redistricting battle.

It's a bit inside baseball, but the redistricting battle also affected republican districts, and it was fought on one side by the establishment who wanted districts (some republican, some democrat) to stay the way they were for predictability and power reasons, and by the League of Women Voters on the other side. LWV was mostly targeting republicans in its efforts to re-draw districts, and Ol' Corrine was just collateral damage since hers was probably the most gerrymandered district in the state.

So in this instance, it's a kind of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation with republicans contributing to save districts they didn't control. Corrine's gerrymandered district was in some sense, a payoff to the Florida Dems for some other gerrymandered republican districts, one of which I lived in. My district (the truly honorable Dan Webster) got redistricted out of existence, and is now held by a Dem (the utterly useless, Glock losing former Orlando Police Chief Val Demmings, wife of Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings). Dan ran in a different district, west of mine, and won anyway, but I think there was a -1 net loss to the Florida republican congressional delegation courtesy of the LWV lawsuit.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
She thought she was being solicited to raise $$ to fight Brown's redistricting battle.

It's a bit inside baseball, but the redistricting battle also affected republican districts, and it was fought on one side by the establishment who wanted districts (some republican, some democrat) to stay the way they were for predictability and power reasons, and by the League of Women Voters on the other side. LWV was mostly targeting republicans in its efforts to re-draw districts, and Ol' Corrine was just collateral damage since hers was probably the most gerrymandered district in the state.

So in this instance, it's a kind of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation with republicans contributing to save districts they didn't control. Corrine's gerrymandered district was in some sense, a payoff to the Florida Dems for some other gerrymandered republican districts, one of which I lived in. My district (the truly honorable Dan Webster) got redistricted out of existence, and is now held by a Dem (the utterly useless, Glock losing former Orlando Police Chief Val Demmings, wife of Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings). Dan ran in a different district, west of mine, and won anyway, but I think there was a -1 net loss to the Florida republican congressional delegation courtesy of the LWV lawsuit.

That's what they get for conspiring with the League of Women Voters.

Everybody knows the Ruskies have more influence with voters than those guys.

What would Putin want?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Twenty five years of being reelected. Let that sink in. Twenty. Five. Years.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Twenty five years of being reelected. Let that sink in. Twenty. Five. Years

Very true, and the smart money said that nothing, but nothing could stop her reelection this time around.
Actually, had she won the Dem primary I believe she would have been reelected. Her loss in the primary was due more to the redistricting than her total unsuitability for office.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
If anyone is still interested in Florida's redistricting wars, here is a short history: Ballotpedia

The LWV started the war by sponsoring a constitutional amendment that passed. But the legislature was tasked to redraw the districts; and that's where the peep's will was subverted. Shocking Roll Eyes

“Republican political consultants or operatives did, in fact, conspire to manipulate and influence the redistricting process...They made a mockery of the Legislature’s proclaimed transparency and open process of redistricting by doing all of this in the shadow of that process, utilizing the access it gave them to the decision makers, but going to great lengths to conceal from the public their plan and their participation in it.[4] ”
—Judge Terry P. Lewis[7]

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And she's proud to have Gagiated the third grade.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Judge Terry P. Lewi

Terry P. Lewis is a judge on the Second Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. He was appointed to that court in 1998 by Governor Lawton Chiles, after serving as a Leon County Court judge from 1989.[1] Lewis is best known for overseeing the Florida recount during the 2000 US presidential election. He is also a writer of legal thriller novels

Chiles, a long time democrat Senator and Governor of the state...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Former Rep. Corrine Brown announces run for Congress after pleading guilty to tax fraud

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...ing-guilty-tax-fraud

16 June 2022

Former Florida Rep. Corrine Brown (D) announced her Congressional run for Florida’s 10th Congressional District Thursday, just a little less than a month after pleading guilty to tax fraud.

Brown, 75, reportedly filed her candidacy papers in Tallahassee, according to Yahoo News.

The Florida Democrat was sentenced to 5 years in jail in 2017 after the jury found she had committed mail, wire, and tax fraud and charged her with 18 of the 22 charges.

Brown and her colleagues were found to have been stealing money via a sham charity called "One Door For Education" wherein they funneled money to themselves after purporting that the charity money would go towards children's scholarships. Prosecutors alleged that Brown and her colleagues brought in over $800,000 between 2012 and 2016, according to The Associated Press.

The former representative served approximately two years of her five-year sentence before authorities released her in April 2020, citing concerns that her age would make her more susceptible to catching the coronavirus.

She scheduled a change-of-plea hearing in May 2022 before her second trial was set to take place on Sept. 12. Chief Judge Timothy J. Corrigan accepted her plea and sentenced Brown to the time she had already served. Brown was also required to pay $62,650.99 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service.

Brown will now be running up against other Democratic congressional candidates in this year's primary elections on August 23.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good. Another Republican seat won.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post