SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me convince wife she wants the larger TV.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me convince wife she wants the larger TV. Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've got my eye on the 65" Q7 Samsung at Costco. $1,199 buys a great set with all the bells and whistles.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I would also make a pitch for something around 65".

We don't watch much TV, don't have cable. But when our smaller one got zapped by lightning a few years ago we went with a 65. Room is around 12 x 14 feet if that helps. In my opinion, unless you have a really large room the bigger TVs will be overwhelming.

There are some really great ones out there in that size for a very reasonable price.

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends upon one's priorities. Personally, I'm with my wife on this one: I like our house to look nice, inside and out. A gigantic screen sure is nice to watch, particularly for movies, but it's not exactly a décor enhancer when it's a big black rectangle sitting there the rest of the time.

As I noted in the Black Friday thread: We just last night pulled the trigger on a 55 in. LG. Given the space the TV had to go into, we could have shoe-horned a 58 in. TV in there, but it would've been overwhelming on that 13 ft. wide wall, IMO. And the window on the wall is already partially blocked by the current TV.

It'll be only a 20% bump over our current 46 in. TV, but, watching our next-door-neighbour's 55 in. TV, in a similarly-sized room and from a similar distance we do, I think it'll result in a pretty nice improvement--without dominating the room.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Man you guys are a marriage deterrent. I would hate to have to ask permission for stuff. In the last 12 months I have purchased like 5 cars I didn’t need and triple that in guns. I would’a been divorced a long time ago Eek

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Man you guys are a marriage deterrent.

It's not us, it's them. Women are a marriage deterrent!

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Talk about low WAF (wife approval factor)! Red Face I have a pair of monolithic Magneplanar MGIII speakers in the living room. Big Grin hahahahahahahahaha

Downstairs in the home theater room we're only running a 65 incher. Had considered a 75 incher but didn't want to pay the tariff. That said the room can handle 100 inches plus. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Seeing that you are severely farsighted, would your room even allow you to sit far enough away from the TV for it to be in focus?

I bet he owns eyeglasses.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Talk about low WAF (wife approval factor) I have a pair of monolithic Magneplanar MGIII speakers in the living room.

Those are terrific speakers. I haven't heard a set in many years, but if I recall, they take a lot of real estate because of the requirement of having them away from the adjacent wall.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The optimal tv size will be based on how far away you will view the screen. Otherwise, you can imagine buying a movie theater sized screen and sitting 10 feet away.

I found a link for you to peruse. What Size TV Should You Buy?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Talk about low WAF (wife approval factor) I have a pair of monolithic Magneplanar MGIII speakers in the living room.

Those are terrific speakers. I haven't heard a set in many years, but if I recall, they take a lot of real estate because of the requirement of having them away from the adjacent wall.

You are correct Sir!

quote:

Downstairs in the home theater room we're only running a 65 incher. Had considered a 75 incher but didn't want to pay the tariff. That said the room can handle 100 inches plus. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post