SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me convince wife she wants the larger TV.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me convince wife she wants the larger TV. Login/Join 
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GisTexan:
She said I can put an 84" in my study, but not the Den. I don't want that thing in my study. How can I make her see the light and want the large TV in the Den.?

Thanks

There is a lot of irony in these sentences. If you don’t want that thing in your study, I can understand her not wanting it in the den.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the bezels on a lot of the newer tv's are much smaller now allowing a "bigger" screen in a smaller package. So when shopping look at the tv dimensions as well as the screen size.

I just installed a 65" OLED last night and it was actually not much bigger (overall size) than my 8 year old 55".

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I just went through this in the last couple of weeks, replacing two 10+ year old TVs, a 46" in the den and a 59" in a spare room we're using as a media room.

I replaced both TVs with Samsung Q70 QLED 4K TVs.

The den got a 55", which is absolutely the largest TV that will fit without remodeling - we have one of those built-in TV cabinets and the 55" with a very thin bezel just barely fits.

The media room got an 82". Viewing is 10-15 feet away.

An 82" TV is GIGANTIC. It's about the size of a twin mattress (much thinner, obviously). However, even from 10 feet away, I think 4K content on the Samsung Q70 82" looks spectacular.

With all that said, I think that in a room that isn't dedicated to watching TV, an 80"+ TV would be distractingly large and obtrusive.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The problem with a TV at 84" (not withstanding the fact you'll probably be sitting way too close to it), is that you need REALLY good content, like 4K only or else the picture will look grainy and not that great. on a 65" your normal cable tv feed will look very good, at 84" it will not.

Garbage 1080i AT&T Uverse actually looks surprisingly good on the Samsung Q70 82" TV, even from 10-15 feet away. Samsung's current-generation 4K upscaling algorithms are impressive.

quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Keep in mind that the bezels on a lot of the newer tv's are much smaller now allowing a "bigger" screen in a smaller package. So when shopping look at the tv dimensions as well as the screen size.

I just installed a 65" OLED last night and it was actually not much bigger (overall size) than my 8 year old 55".

The weight difference can be pretty big, too. The new 55" TV wasn't any heavier than the 10 year old 46" LED TV it replaced and the new 82" TV was substantially lighter than the 10 year old 59" plasma TV it replaced.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mount it on the wall and build a frame around it. It can be a picture. We have a 65 and sit about 12 feet away. They sure put ugly people on the local TV news

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
What you need to do is size the tv to the size of your room or watching area. There is such a thing as having too large of a tv for your viewing area. The calculator above will help you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Some people build their rooms around TV systems and other build their TV systems around the room. We're the latter. Our 55" screen is hanging on a living room wall and looks nice, perfect size aesthetically in relation to the other wall hangings, furniture, built ins, etc. The wall can fit a 65-75" one, but we felt it would have been a little too dominant in the room. For us, it's only TV. Our viewing distance is 10' and we're perfectly happy with this ratio.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Had a 25 inch boat anchor,daughter in law insisted son give me their big ass tv.She wanted one twice that size.
No spare walls but there was a nice double hung window on end of den.
I fabed a couple pieces of flat iron screwed to window molding and hung it there.
The blinds and curtains stayed closed anyway .
Damn thing grew on me and if it goes out I plan on an even bigger one

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Grab a tape measure and use this scientific approach:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/revi...istance-relationship

(at 84", your optimized viewing distance is going to be nearly 12 feet!)

Let us know what this article suggests regarding your ideal screen size in the den. I'm curious to know whether you're overshooting or she just doesn't get it.

-Rob
Excellent advice. If you want to enjoy it, the TV needs to fit the room, not so much vice versa.

And I strongly disagree with the "buy a 70" at $1500 TV" theory. Even if your 65" / $500 TV spits out the bit in a few years, technology will have once again moved forward, so when you buy (for $500 again) you'll be updating once again with the most current tech and still be money ahead. No need to spend $1500+ for a TV today as the $500-$700 offerings are simply excellent.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Just order it and have it delivered. When it gets there just tell her it was a mistake and that you had ordered a 48 inch midel. Smile

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The poor OP ain't gettin' much encouragement for his stated goal from a group that is usually a notorious enabler. Bet he didn't expect that

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
And here I am perfectly happy with my old Sony Bravia 40" flatscreen...

Not so much the tv for me,but what's broadcast.

I used to ask a friend of mine,what he did last night.
He would always tell me "watched a little tv"
Then I would tell him, don't watch a little tv, get a bigger tv.

That 84" TV will put out enough heat to melt the South Pole.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I went with 75" and it's perfect for my room. My eyes are about 14 feet from the screen. If you are too close to a huge screen you actually have to move your eyes or head side to much side to side to see from one side of the screen to the other especially if a heavy eyeglasses prescription give you a relatively narrow field of view in focus like mine do.

I cut a cardboard rectangle the actual size of the screen of the TV I intended to buy and taped it to the wall to preview and set the position and height before I actually committed to it to get a better feel for just how it would fit.

... you could use paper or whatever but is a worthwhile experiment IMO.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You need to match the size to your viewing distance. There is such a thing as too big. Ever tried sitting at the very front of a movie theater.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Maybe see about renting an 84" and seeing what it looks like setup in your house?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I just got a pair of 55s for my new house and love them. Great picture and 799 each. I looked at 65, but these are great. I can’t see going over 65.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
My wife watches that British Baking show also. Get a 65" LG OLED (or at least a 4K). The food and all the other colors will look perfect in the picture... doing it for her and all that. Mount it on the wall and all the other connections for sound and 4K players. And if you are in your late 40's you will be getting another TV.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You're going to have to trade a jewelry purchase for the tv purchase.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go big! My wife talked me into a 60" when I wanted 70" I've regretted it ever since.

I look at that space left on either side of the TV and sigh every time.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just had this discussion, and settled on a 50 inch 4k tv. They're so clear and sharp, I can see it clearly without glasses. Of course, when I go to the kitchen I have to activate the remote for my hearing aids, ha ha.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Get a few pieces of paper or cardboard. Cut it out the size of the tv. Tape it to the wall.
Go to where you normally watch tv.
Do you have to turn your head from side to side to catch all of what is on the screen?
I can’t imagine putting an 84” tv in my living room. It would turn it into the tv room.

Sounds like you watch tv when you cook. Have you thought of putting a tv in the kitchen? I did that in our last house. It was quite nice.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post