SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me convince wife she wants the larger TV.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me convince wife she wants the larger TV. Login/Join 
posted
My wife told me this year I can finally purchase a new TV. It's been a few years since our last TV purchase (2005). We don't watch a lot of the darn thing. She likes watching that gosh awful British baking show. I keep it on H&I for the Star Trek marathon while I cook. The current TV is 32" LCD, when I bought it is was around 1200 bucks. They are so cheap these days, I told her let’s get the 84", I'm severely far sighted and would enjoy the size upgrade. When I started measuring the space on the wall for potential hanging locations, she was a bit shocked just how much space 84" takes up. So she said no get something smaller. She said I can put an 84" in my study, but not the Den. I don't want that thing in my study. How can I make her see the light and want the large TV in the Den.? I don't see the point of getting something smaller, we might as well maximize now, because I'll be dead before I can buy a new TV again. She is just 7 years older than me, I'm in my late 40's, we don’t have children. I need some options. The only option I can come up with is having this AV guy install a system that allows me to lower it from a hidden panel in the ceiling. Also, No, I do not want a projector. So give me options and convincing arguments so I can sway her into wanting a Giant TV.

Thanks

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger

~Herman Goering

Posts: 403 | Location: Belly of the Beast, New Orleans | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think 84" is overkill, you need to be a certain distance back from something that big. I'd look at maybe a 65".

It IS amazing how prices have gone down on TV's; my first non-tube TV was a 32" in 2007 and that was $850! Upgraded to a 40" in 2014 for something like $400 and just ordered a new 50" last night for $278!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'd second a 65" They are still plenty big! I'd stay away from any TV that has a camera or microphone built in.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Go big or go home. I say 70-86” is a good size. TV’s are so cheap now that quality trumps size. Sure you can get a 65” Tv for $500 but how long will it last. I would say spend $1300-1500 on a good quality 70-75” and you will have a nice size tv that can last you a long time. When it comes time to re-do my theater I am going to skip the projector and get a 100” TV. Right now you can get an 86” LG for about $2000, they are starting to really be more affordable. In a couple years I’m guessing 100” TV’s will be in that ballpark.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy with an 80 inch TV in a 19x19 room with the couch about at the mid point maybe a bit further back and honestly it was a little distractingly big. Unless you really have some distance I second the 65ish size.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Keep moving the furniture closer to the television you currently have until she concedes.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Tell her the clearer picture you get with a new and bigger TV is better for her eyes.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Grab a tape measure and use this scientific approach:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/revi...istance-relationship

(at 84", your optimized viewing distance is going to be nearly 12 feet!)

Let us know what this article suggests regarding your ideal screen size in the den. I'm curious to know whether you're overshooting or she just doesn't get it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
How big is the room and from how far away do you sit from the TV?

84" is an awfully big TV, IMO.

Our family room is 13' x 22' (WxL). TV and stuff sits on one of the 13' walls and we sit about 12' from the screen. Until recently we found the 46" TV we've had for a few years adequate. Then we spent some time at a next-door-neighbour's home a few days ago. He had his 55" TV running (on mute). Said to my wife "Look at that picture! I think we need a bigger TV." Amazingly, she agreed!

But my wife, like yours, is also disinterested in having the TV dominate the room. So when we go looking the limiting factor is going to be that the new TV can't take up appreciably more space than the current one. Given that new TVs have much smaller bezels than ours, I figure 55" is about the most I'll get. Maybe a bit larger.

quote:
Originally posted by GisTexan:
... we might as well maximize now, because I'll be dead before I can buy a new TV again. She is just 7 years older than me, I'm in my late 40's,

You're merely in your late 40's and you're worried about being dead before you'll get another TV? Srsly?

quote:
Originally posted by GisTexan:
So give me options and convincing arguments so I can sway her into wanting a Giant TV.

Can't help you, there. TBH: I wouldn't want a TV as big as you think you want, either. Not unless I had a dedicated home theater room in which to place it.

quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I'd second a 65" They are still plenty big!

I agree.

quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I'd stay away from any TV that has a camera or microphone built in.

Good luck with that. I assume anything we'll get will have them both, but I won't connect the TV to the network except to occasionally check for firmware updates. The Fire TV and BD player will provide content.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Go for broke! That said, some of the other posters have a point. How far is it from your seat to the screen? On large TVs you run into the problem of not being able to hold the entire screen in your field of vision if you aren't a significant distance back.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with a TV at 84" (not withstanding the fact you'll probably be sitting way too close to it), is that you need REALLY good content, like 4K only or else the picture will look grainy and not that great. on a 65" your normal cable tv feed will look very good, at 84" it will not.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
65 to 75 are probably best for normal rooms, unless you can really move back from a 80 it's going to dominate the room, like sitting in the first few rows of a movie theater.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The problem with a TV at 84" (not withstanding the fact you'll probably be sitting way too close to it), is that you need REALLY good content, like 4K only or else the picture will look grainy and not that great. on a 65" your normal cable tv feed will look very good, at 84" it will not.

Good point. I'd forgotten about that.

Older TV programming, especially from the 4:3 ("square") TV days, looks particularly bad on bigger-screen TVs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'm with the crew that thinks 84" is too big for most normal sized rooms.

If you are sitting 10 to 15 feet from the screen, 65" should be plenty, or 75" at the most.

And if your wife doesn't just understand that bigger is better, then . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Chiming in on the 65" size. It's kind of a sweet spot for size/price right now. You may be able to get a good deal on a 70" also.

Source - the picture is only going to be as good as what you feed it.

Sound - you'll definitely want to include a soundbar in your budget if you do not already have an alternate source for audio (receiver).

Lighting will also play a huge role in your experience. If you can control/limit the lighting the viewing experience is enhanced. Also the color of the wall makes a pretty big difference. Consider a dark brown or dark/matte anything will help reduce glare and provide better contrast to the screen.

Good luck

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Sam's Club has several 65" 4k tvs for under $500. That's what I would do, and did, twice. Bought 2 Sam's Club loss leader 65" one Hitachi and one Hisense. 3 years and they are going strong.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Video Viewing Distance Calculator

That thing says we should get a minimum 60" TV for 1080P viewing. (Which will be the majority of our content.) I might be able to convince my wife to go that high, but probably not.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Video Viewing Distance Calculator

That thing says we should get a minimum 60" TV for 1080P viewing. (Which will be the majority of our content.) I might be able to convince my wife to go that high, but probably not.

It seems pretty accurate but it is only an estimate.
Now using an old 55" Plasma at 8 feet.
Says 37~60.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Seeing that you are severely farsighted, would your room even allow you to sit far enough away from the TV for it to be in focus?

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post