Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mead Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I had my first glass of mead at a public house in the Portland, OR area. It was nice.

I'd like to pick up a bottle locally. Any recommendation on a brand or what to buy in a store?

I know nothing about mead. I usually buy port or other dessert wine. I've never bought mead before.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
You may not have many options anyway. I remember trying to find some about 10 years ago and even at a specialty store they only had one type. Maybe better selection with the boom of smaller companies.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Mead can be tricky. Be warned. There is really good mead out there, and not so good mead.

I've made both at home. The not so good mead can be described as Thor's hammer when it comes to the hangover. Tread lightly.

The main problem w/ honey wine is there is no natural nutrition for the yeast during the ferment like there is w/ grape wine (fruit) or beer (barley). Nutrition has to be added multiple times during the ferment to keep the yeast happy and to keep them from making harsh alcohols.

Having said that, my passion for mead is meadiocre (see what I did there?) Mead can be very sweet to very dry. The dry being almost like a regular grape white wine. I made a dry blueberry mead that ended up tasting not unlike a merlot.
The sweet meads are wonderful too. And then there is everything inbetween.

It's been several years since I pursued mead but if I was to seek large commercial examples, two I might look into would be:
https://whitewinter.com/
http://rabbitsfootmeadery.com/

Otherwise keep seeking out the smaller little secrets that keep popping up.
If you want inspiration to try it at home, maybe view this:
https://vimeo.com/15630991

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Vikings blood is a good mead.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Did you mull it with spices, or right out of the bottle?

Chaucers seems to be the only mead that is local to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Chaucer...-750ml/dp/B0026FDE78

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are members of a home brew club in Orlando. We have never had to buy Mead so I cant make a recommendations.
Our club has a large number of Mead makers. We have tried many types of Mead and I like sweet fruit type Mead's.
We have one of the larges Mead only competitions in the country that I know of.
Be careful Mead is easy to drink and it will mess you up quickly trust me I know.
Mead is not difficult to make compared to beer but finishing time can be long. Find a home brew club near you and see if they have Mead makers as members and talk to them. They may even have samples at a meeting to try our club does.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Where are you located?

I really like Chaucers Mead from California.

http://chaucerswine.com/our-story/our-wines-2/

The King's Mead from Hidden Legend Winery is also very good.
https://www.hiddenlegendwinery...duct/the-kings-mead/

Both of the above are sweet meads. Hidden Legend also has a natural mead which is drier and not as sweet. Their dark mead is not as tasty to me but does have a kind of dry sherry like note.

Mead tends to get better with age if stored in a cool dark place. Fresh batches that have not been aged enough may have nasty flavors (acetone like). The nastiness tends to mellow away if you leave the stuff alone for about a year. One of the secrets to good mead is to let it age sufficiently.

Just my $0.02,

Mike (Beer Geek but I love mead too!)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My wife has been making mead for about 4 years now. Her best showing so far was a third place ribbon at our county fair.

Despite their honey base, not all mead is sweet.

Her best tasting so far was made with dandelion syrup. I suspect the sugar syrup gave more food for the yeast.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for a commercial one.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Monk's mead made here in Atlanta is a sparkling variety, very easy to drink.

Moonlight meadery makes many good choices too, they are the sweet fruity kind.

I like mead, but like wine, it makes me sleepy.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
http://www.bnektar.com/

B. Nektar Meadery out of MI has a good variety of meads and a sense of humor in product naming.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mead can be very sweet to very dry.

And then there's still vs. carbonated varieties!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys -- I'll look for the suggestions locally.

Assuming straight up mead, not flavored ones, I assume that (upon thinking about it more), that mead flavor will vary not only by the fermentation method but also by the starting honey type? For example, clover (which I don't like) will be different from orange blossom, tupelo, black locust/acacia, etc?

Is this factored into the mead (similar to wines by grape type)? Or is mead agnostic to the honey type being used? I like sweet wines like Rieslings and Gerw's and meads seem interesting.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course to drink mead properly, you need the proper vessel:
https://www.amazon.com/AleHorn...2KRFV34DFZJ1D13ZKKNW

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have 3 gallons of mead fermenting as we speak.

Just water, honey, and yeast. It's my first batch. I'm using a yeast that is supposed to attenuate at about 11%. Once I get the hang of the process I'll start experimenting.

Yea, your type of honey will have an effect on the taste.

There is a Meadery in Vermont with a Youtube channel that has a wealth of information and the host is a funny guy. It's called Groennfell Meadery.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I made a raspberry mead once that was so awesome we drank all of it before it even got a chance to properly age. Then when we moved to a new house, I lost my folder that had my recipes in it, and I've never been able to recreate what I made that first time.... Makes me sad. Some of my later attempts were barely drinkable...

It's a tough brew to get right.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post