SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army is evaluating a new innovative multibarrel “ribbon” gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army is evaluating a new innovative multibarrel “ribbon” gun Login/Join 
posted
OK, this looks pretty darn cool and quite innovative in my opinion. Does anyone know much about this new type of gun?

https://motherboard.vice.com/e...our-rounds-at-a-time

https://youtu.be/aMLXXMVeQak

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the soldier would be carrying lots of ammo.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That article was written by a 2 year old

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest innovation is that the "charge block" is the chamber so all the heat ejects out with it. I can see it making for a great LMG if the charge block stack isn't too unwieldy.

I like that the Army looks into all these things, we need to be pushing and pursuing innovation.

Odds of it being standard issue? .00000001%.

But maybe it will lead to the next innovation/evolution that will be adopted?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
It's all fun and games until the L6 comes along...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
It's all fun and games until the L6 comes along...

That would be perfect.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
The comment to bypass the normal ordinance testing and procurement process is reminiscent of Robert McNamara doing the same to rush the early non chrome bore, no cleaning kit M16's to Vietnam.

Sometime the best lesson to learn is someone else's failure.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
So now the troops would be able to miss 4 rounds at a time?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
That's very interesting. I don't like that it's electronic ignition and requires a battery. They claim a full charge can produce 15,000 ignitions.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
So now the troops would be able to miss 4 rounds at a time?

According to the article, you can fire the rounds individually as well.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
VERY Cool....That right there is an example of real American Innovation, and IMO has some REAL potential! Cool

Here's the video from the linked article:

I gotta say, while the video does provide a compelling overview of technology, it definitely has a 'Starship Troopers' kind of feel to it! Razz

And seriously, 'Ribbon Gun'?? Who came up with that moniker? Definitely needs a cooler name like the 'L5 Sabre Rifle' or something similar. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
That's very interesting. I don't like that it's electronic ignition and requires a battery. They claim a full charge can produce 15,000 ignitions.

So the enemy lights off an EMP burst and now everyone's rifle stops working?

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I really don't see the advantage of firing 5 rounds at once. Sure, you can fire 1 at a time, but any rifle can do that. How is this an improvement on current weapon systems?

I don't see a bright future for this gun.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I don’t see the advantage of firing five bullets at the same time and turn the gun with a 30-round block of ammunition into a six-shooter, I am curious about the caseless ammunition.

People have been trying to perfect caseless ammunition for decades without any significant success. Questions I would have are how durable is the stuff; what happens if a block is dropped into the sand or mud and then loaded into the weapon; what happens after only a few rounds are fired and the gun is unloaded, can the partially-expended block continue to be used after a reload? There’s not much information about how the weapon functions with those ammo blocks, but I can imagine many possible issues.

But the most critical question of all: Where’s the bayonet lug‽
They expect our warfighters to go into battle without being able to take knives to their gunfights? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
The biggest innovation is that the "charge block" is the chamber so all the heat ejects out with it. I can see it making for a great LMG if the charge block stack isn't too unwieldy.

I like that the Army looks into all these things, we need to be pushing and pursuing innovation.

Odds of it being standard issue? .00000001%.

But maybe it will lead to the next innovation/evolution that will be adopted?

Agreed - I think we have to look at anything that isn't crazy. You never know what the next big thing might be.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

That was all I took from this 'news'.

The Army, much like the other services, has been seeking an 'revolutionary', 'tranformational' design to replace their standard system of rifles for the last 20-years. Instead of focusing on incremental improvements, (ACR, SCAR, etc...) they want leaps n'bounds jumps. They continue to issue solicitations to industry, industry comes out with the latest and greatest, then the PEO Managers brush off all the offers as not good enough. I get a sense that some of these decision makers are watching a bit too much television/movies and not understanding how things comes about.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda look like a shotgun that can control how many pellets are fired. How much muzzle energy will these caseless rounds have?

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:

So the enemy lights off an EMP burst and now everyone's rifle stops working?

The rifle will come equipped with a small protruding side handle that you will be able to wind up a quick charge per firing; it will play “Pop goes the weasel” while winding...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Kinda look like a shotgun that can control how many pellets are fired. How much muzzle energy will these caseless rounds have?

You are not allowed to ask zis question.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post