SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manual transmission and clutch, twin disc?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual transmission and clutch, twin disc? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
In looking at the 2018 Mustang specs, it claims a dual mass flywheel and twin disc clutch. Would that be a big item to wait for over the 2017 model? It's supposed to help with feel and strength.

On a fun weekend car, would it matter very much? Would an aftermarket be a reasonable idea, besides the cost?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
What sort of fun? are you going to be doing track days?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Higher rotating mass behind the engine provides big inertia during gear changes at WOT, and stronger response.

And the greater friction surface area helps with putting more power to the transmission, and the rear wheels.

Dual disc setup are more complex and may require more frequent/costly maintenance. But it is the nature of the beastie.

For weekend rompin and stompin, the occasional "test and tune" it would be fun.

Aftermarket can go either way, depends on how fast you want to spend money.

You can buy good product or bad, and often the cost is oppisite of what you think it will be.

You can try and go "cheap" and spend a bunch more money and time, then "going big" and having it work well and be reliable.

Cars are like some woman.

FAST
EASY
CHEAP

Except with cars, you can only pick two.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
2018 gets port and direct injection. 2017 is direct injection only. Wait for the 2018.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, the dual port injection. Good point, rumored to be 20hp.

Probably no track days. Just a fun car.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am hearing that the 2018 may have a flat plane crank in the Coyote.
If true, wait for the 2018.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ooooh. I love the sound of the 5.2L from the GT350, and would be my choice but timing and funds are against me.

The 5.0 GT/PP is supposed to get several goodies from the GT350, and the GT350 may not be built after the 2018 model year.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell the flat plane engine is still not confirmed, if it is true I would wait for it. The motor is getting more power regardless. The suspension definitely gets an upgrade worth waiting for. Realistically the clutch is not worth waiting for on a weekend car if you want to get a 17 (and yes an aftermarket clutch would be fine - probably better than what Ford will put in.) Or skip all this and get a GT350.

As long as the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro remain in production, it seems the pony car wars will continue unabated. A little over a year ago, we declared the 2016 Camaro SS the champion, but with this facelifted Mustang, Ford is angling for a rematch. For 2018, the Mustang gets all sorts of changes that could add up to a big improvement.

The most significant upgrade for the 2018 Mustang is MagneRide magnetorheological adaptive dampers, available on both the EcoBoost and GT Performance Packs. Previously, the only Mustang to offer magnetically-controlled active dampers was the top-of-the-line Shelby GT350. Given the wonders that magnetic dampers work in other high-performance settings (we're looking at you, Corvette and Camaro), they should bring big handling improvements to the 2018 Mustang. Starting in 2018, the Performance Package will be available on automatic and/or convertible Mustangs, a change from the previous manual-and-hardtop-only requirements.

As predicted, the six-cylinder Mustang is officially dead for 2018. Both the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder and 5.0-liter V8 get increases in horsepower and torque, though Ford hasn't yet specified power output for the updated 'Stang.

For 2018, the Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V8 gets both port and direct fuel injection, similar to the fuel system found in the 3.5-liter V6 in the new F-150 Raptor. This dual-injection system allows Ford to increase the V8's compression ratio from 11.0:1 to 12.0:1, which should aid power and fuel efficiency.

As you'd expect, you can pair either engine with a six-speed manual transmission (which gets a twin-disc clutch and a new dual-mass flywheel on V8 models), but a new option for 2018 is Ford's 10-speed automatic. Co-developed with GM, this transmission promises much quicker shifting, and can handle more torque than the outgoing six-speed auto. We were very impressed with this gearbox in the new F-150 Raptor and Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, so we expect it will do nicely in the Mustang.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on looking at a 2018 GT.

I currently have a 2012 GT California Special with manual.

I'm ready for an automatic transmission and everything I have read about the new 10 speed is positive.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Dual mass flywheel makes the shifting (clutch engagement) much smoother compared to a standard single mass flywheel. That is it's sole purpose. More money to replace, but makes shifting more smooth. My last manual VW Rabbit had a dmf. Not sure how much of a difference it makes with Mustang V8 kind of power.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post