SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer hitch receiver opinions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer hitch receiver opinions Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck (price, service, availability) with etrailer.com several times. No worries!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
E-trailer is local to me, and has been around in a slightly different form before the internet ever existed. Good people.

My advise is to buy the biggest, baddest, heaviest, and most highly rated equipment available. There's usually not a huge price difference, and you'll know that it will always handle anything you throw at it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
My advise is to buy the biggest, baddest, heaviest, and most highly rated equipment available. There's usually not a huge price difference, and you'll know that it will always handle anything you throw at it.

This - for sure.

Just like a gun safe, always get at least twice the size you think you will ever need.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
Thanks for the info fellas Smile

I've heard of Draw Tite before but have never heard of Curt.

My girlfriend wants to get a boat to go out in the lakes to fish (like I'm going to try and dissuade her from that Big Grin )

Whoa! Dude, we shouldn't be having conversation about inconsequential trailer hitches, but rather boat ownership. You know what boat owners call them?

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Curt seems to be one of the last "made in the USA" ball mounts. I will use them over any other.
Size your hitch and ball mount based on what you intend to carry or what you can carry. I have a Tacoma, that is limited to about 3600 lbs maximum carry (pull). I have a type 4 hitch, with a 2" receiver, which can carry much more, but I know my limits. Having the 2" receiver gives me many options for receiver options, like bike carriers, etc. But I limit my trailers to 3k.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
Thanks for the info fellas Smile

I've heard of Draw Tite before but have never heard of Curt.

My girlfriend wants to get a boat to go out in the lakes to fish (like I'm going to try and dissuade her from that Big Grin )

Whoa! Dude, we shouldn't be having conversation about inconsequential trailer hitches, but rather boat ownership. You know what boat owners call them?

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

The best two days of a man's life is when he bought a boat and when he sold that boat.

;-)

I'm only talking something small, 14-16ft Jon or V-hull. Max motor would be 20hp.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Get one you want to smash your shins into.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You know when the fish are not biting......there are other options. Just don't let the sail boats sneak up on you. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Get a locking pin for your draw bar, I have had a couple of them stolen

Get a locking pin if you are going to leave any shin banger in your receiver, like a ball mount or even just a decorative receiver cover. Best locking pin I've found was mentioned right here on SIGforum, it is the BOLT. It learns your key the first time you use it, so you don't need to carry any extra key just for the locking pin. And it is way sturdy.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post