SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer hitch receiver opinions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer hitch receiver opinions Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted
I need to add a hitch receiver to my truck (2013 Nissan Frontier).

Anyone ever deal with etrailer.com?

They have two available brands for my model truck. A Curt and Draw-Tite.

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are legit. i have beat their prices on Amazon.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Either brand is fine. They should make a model that bolts right up to existing frame holes for your truck. Easy installation.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have ordered some accessories from etrailer they were quick and reasonable. We pulled hay trailers, and farm tractor trailers. I don't know anything about Curt, but have had several Draw Tite and Reese Level IV receivers and got good service from them. Get a locking pin for your draw bar, I have had a couple of them stolen

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I think both Curt and Draw-Tite are good brands.

From the website, it looks like only $10 difference between the two.
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch..._Nissan_Frontier.htm

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you look at the design of both hitches, the Draw-Tite has a shorter moment arm across the back and it extends through the support brackets which is a better design to me.

The Draw-Tite also has slightly more room for the spare tire.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Be sure to remove the thingy when you're not using it. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with either one. I've bought 3 Curt units from Amazon, all still in service.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a Curt on Amazon for my new F150 and installed it myself. Went in with no issues. Used it to rent the biggest utility trailer U-Haul had and took a 1700lb load of junk to the dump I've been needing to get rid of for a year...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
... and took a 1700lb load of junk to the dump I've been needing to get rid of for a year...
That's a lotta junk!

I suppose I've had my share of Drawtite hitches and ball mounts over the years. I never recall any issues. Most recently had one professionally installed on a Sprinter, but not because was intimidated by hitch installation but rather the lights and brake controller on a Mercedes.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
... and took a 1700lb load of junk to the dump I've been needing to get rid of for a year...
That's a lotta junk!

Ha! Well, most of the weight was a medium tree I cut down (wood too small to be worth burning) and an old play structure. The balance was junk... Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info fellas Smile

I've heard of Draw Tite before but have never heard of Curt.

My girlfriend wants to get a boat to go out in the lakes to fish (like I'm going to try and dissuade her from that Big Grin )

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used etrailer.
Good service and prices.

I also installed it myself on a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon, following the included instructions. It was very simple.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've used etrailer a number of times without issue. I have a few Curt 2 5/16 balls but have bo experience with either brandsc hitches.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've used etrailer. Good prices and great service. Their installation videos are awesome and they give a torque spec for the bolts.

When one of my hitches was back ordered, they e-mailed right away to let me know and asked if I wanted to wait or cancel.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I bought a Curt hitch off Amazon last year as the hitch that came with the truck was starting to get an oval shape where the pin goes through. The hitch was heavier than the original and constructed very well. When UPS delivered the box, it looked like a pack of wild dogs had their way with it. Hitch was undamaged but the bolts that came with it were missing. I called Curt and they overnighted me new mounting hardware. Excellent customer service.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

^^^This truth^^^
Your shins will thank you. Wink

The Draw-Tite is a better design to me.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas Smile

Seems like Amazon and etrailer prices are almost identical for the actual receiver.

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

^^^This truth^^^
Your shins will thank you. Wink

The Draw-Tite is a better design to me.
Yeah, I used to leave my draw bar the receiver on my Ford Escape. Until I whacked a shin on it once. Then out it came Big Grin

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
GTG. I went with Curt.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Try DelCity.net Nissan Class III

They are running a coupon (ends today) for 20% 0ff Code: BIGSALE20

A few dollars more than Amazon at $116.76 but no Tax (double check that and make sure this is the model you need)

I have ordered from this company dozens of times and they are GTG with fast shipping.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post