SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you still alive (or mostly functional) because of modern medicine?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you still alive (or mostly functional) because of modern medicine? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Born premature at 27 weeks 40 years ago, I think I qualify.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I would be alive without it, I wouldn't be able to stand up. About three years ago, I had a tumor removed from my spine. Much better now.

Otherwise, no broken bones, and no other surgeries.

Peter

Posts: 94 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Voted yes.

Had meningitis barely out of college. Without antibiotics, who knows. Same with the respiratory infections, killers back in the old days. Never had traumatic injuries other than dislocated shoulders and such, no broken bones.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Let's see: Scarlet fever as a kid, two strokes as an adult, Prostate cancer survivor. Going with "yes".

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Nope. Never broken a bone, never had a cavity, nothing. Never even been put under. I'm not sad about any of that.

Are you human ? Eek

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Nope. Never broken a bone, never had a cavity, nothing. Never even been put under. I'm not sad about any of that.

Are you human ? Eek
He has to think about it when answering that "I am not a robot" question some web pages ask . . . .

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m 71. At 50 I began having signs of imminent heart blockage. Shortness of breath and chest tightness with little physical effort. Under care of cardiologist, a cardiology professor at Baylor Houston. Cigna denied permission for heart cath due to having passed a treadmill test months earlier. Finally, after relentless pressure from my employer, Cigna referred me to another cardiologist. Apparrently they didn’t believe the professor.

Went to 2nd cardiologist. About 30 seconds into treadmill test, they stopped the test, went into emergency mode, put me into a wheelchair and wheeled me across the street to St. Lukes, Houston Med Center for an emergency cath.

Left Anterior Descending (aka widowmaker) over 95% blocked. Rotorblater, angioplasty and stents needed.

Being married to a Cath LAb nurse who realised seriousness of sympoms prob saved me.
I’m fine so far at 71.

Insurance co tried to murder me. Fuck them.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 7 colonoscopies, My grandmother died from colon cancer. They remove pre cancerous growths every time.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Probably would’ve died this week without modern medicine. I’m posting from a bed in the hospital so I’m not out of the woods yet (much better though).

On the other hand, I likely wouldn’t have been at death’s door if it weren’t for modern medicine. All indications are that I had an acute reaction to a very expensive modern prescription.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Probably would’ve died this week without modern medicine. I’m posting from a bed in the hospital so I’m not out of the woods yet (much better though).

Dang tatortodd Frown...hoping and praying for a most excellent outcome to this...get well soon!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes for me, for a number of items.

Antibiotics for sure. A whole bunch of them over my life. There were some years where sinus infections were pretty much constant once ski season arrived. I think my teammates wondered if I was ever healthy from Thanksgiving to the arrival of spring.

I've had a few surgeries, all of which had some level of antibiotics. Some of the surgeries were more recent, and thus were less invasive than the original scalpel methods. The list....removing adenoids, removing tonsils, hernia repair (groin and navel) to repair damage from a tree felling accident, removing all four wisdom teeth, nasal surgery (ethmoidectomy & sinoplasty), one root canal, thumb bone repair from a skiing fall, microfracture repair of the femur from a really bad skiing fall, and prostate TURP.

Then there are all those immunizations that certainly helped. Asthma and sinus meds. And for anybody who's been an athlete for all their life -- Vitamin I (ibuprofen).

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the other hand, I likely wouldn’t have been at death’s door if it weren’t for modern medicine. All indications are that I had an acute reaction to a very expensive modern prescription.

Several years ago I was given a heavy dose of Levaquin which turned my skin bright red and sent my blood pressure to the moon.

ER personal stood around guessing the problem, when a young female Doctor walked in, looked at me, looked at my chart and said: "Reaction to the Antibiotic - put him on something else" and walked out.

She probably saved my life.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Type I diabetic with an insulin pump, so yes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several years ago I was given a heavy dose of Levaquin which turned my skin bright red and sent my blood pressure to the moon.

ER personal stood around guessing the problem, when a young female Doctor walked in, looked at me, looked at my chart and said: "Reaction to the Antibiotic - put him on something else" and walked out.

She probably saved my life.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stevens Johnson Syndrome I bet. Bad stuff. Worse that spontaneous tendon rupture all associated with Levaquin. Think it now carries a black box warning. Some patients have life long problems.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
In 2005 I was scheduled to have a relatively minor procedure to fix a herniated disk in my neck. A pre-surgical blood test revealed a severe anemic condition that was ultimately diagnosed as colon cancer. I had an uncle who died of that a number of years earlier. He had no symptoms at all until it was too late to do anything. If it hadn't been for that blood test, I wouldn't be here now.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Dang tatortodd Frown...hoping and praying for a most excellent outcome to this...get well soon!
Thanks BBH. Hoping to be discharged tomorrow.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Most “no” respondents won’t bother voting, so percentages are not significant, but it’s interesting to see the absolute numbers of people who are still functioning or are even still here because of modern medicine. We should give a thought of gratitude to all the people who have been responsible for that over the past couple of centuries.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i'm on my sixth decade on Earth and have no meds / prescriptions. statins? won't take them. while i volunteer at the pharmacy - they have nothing for me.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
You could say so. I'm not sure I would have died, but I wouldn't be what I am today, either.

I've had pneumonia three times as well as other infections that could have been problematic, and antibiotics solved those problems.

I was going to vote "No" until I read this. I've had pneumonia a couple of times too. It's easy to overlook because it doesn't have the impact of a heart attack, but it kills 4 million people every year. I'm sure pneumonia would have put an end to me if not for the meds I got.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post