SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you still alive (or mostly functional) because of modern medicine?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you still alive (or mostly functional) because of modern medicine? Login/Join 
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Oh yes.
2" gap in pelvis, tail bone, spine.
Lost 95 %-use of right leg, 100% right ankle & foot. Wear a brace to walk.
Total disruption of urethra and bladder.
Ams 800 installed after reconstruction.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Prostate cancer. 2009. Da Vinci surgery.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Pacemaker for ten years.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Seems like most respondents have had surgery. I myself would not have survived an asthma attack at 4 had it not been for modern medicines. Probably several times over since.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four times I can nail down. Had three heart attacks in late 2000-early 2001, no surgical options for a fix. Docs and meds kept me alive that time.

Was persuaded to have a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted in early 2009, had it replaced with new and improved version in late 2014. In 2016 and 2017 had three defibrillations; basically near death from ventricular fibrillation, saved by the device each time.

Hospitalized in December 2017 with sepsis that seemed to take a long time to diagnose. Intensive antibiotic treatment bailed me out of that one.

To quote Justin Wilson, I'm glad for you to see me, I guarantee.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
At 74 I voted no. Even though I have had 18 under the gas surgeries virtually all were incidences that did not save my life. They made my life more comfortable and functional.

Thank God for modern medicine..

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Yes. I had a VERY aggressive strain of Thyroid Cancer. Were it not for modern medicine, it almost certainly would have spread to my lymph nodes, throat, and who knows where else. I had surgery in 2015 to remove it (because, thank God, we caught it early) without which I am convinced I would have been dead for years by now.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully, I am a healthy 70 - thanks in large part to good genes!

But my 33 yr old daughter who lives in Brooklyn, just suffered a stroke due to a neck injury she sustained while doing some "extreme exercises" at her gym. Symptoms started appearing while she was having dinner with a friend in Manhattan. Her friend was able to get a cab and get her to the closest ER in 10 min. Within 30 min she was having a CAT scan and MRI and started treatment. 4 days in ICU. She just had her 90 day MRI and all looks good. She is off the warfarin now and just taking aspirin as a blood thinner.

Several miracles here, some medical (CAT scan, MRI machines) and some non-medical (getting a cab in Manhattan, getting into an ER immediately at a public hospital in NY). We are incredibly thankfull!

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Pneumonia was a big killer pre antibiotics. If anyone has had a bad sinus infection, bronchitis, or ear infection that had to be treated with antibiotics, there was always the chance. Pneumococcal Streptococcus got a lot of folks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appendix tried to murder me by bursting. A different time or place and I'd be ded.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....

Renal Cancer - incidental discover from below
GSW x 2 - military events
Open hip fracture - military event
Blood infection from puncture wound

I’d say yes.

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My appendix decided it hated me and wanted out a few years ago. I voted yes. Also, had a badly broken arm as a kid that required surgery/hardware to retain function.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yep. Rebuilt right knee and lower leg after motorcycle accident. Carotid artery cleared. Quadruple bypass. Pacemaker installed.

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes,
After passing put 7 times in one short amount of time and hb down to 32/min to none a pacemaker insert kept me “steady” and safe at age 36. (Diagnosis: 3rd degree heart block)

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
A definite YES. Widowmaker at 52. Doctors told me they don't know how I survived. No real symptoms other than cold and clamy. Wife drives me to the hospital. Told I'm having a heart attack within 3 minutes of arriving. 5 minutes later the Priest shows up. Off I go to surgery. 5 hours work during which I woke up twice and was discussing my surgery with my surgeon as I watched them operating on my heart via a huge TV. It was not open heart surgery, through the veins in my legs.

Thank god for modern medicine!

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Appendicitis as a child. Decades ago I would have died of sepsis.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Fractured my back in a fall on Mt. Hood back in 1999. Surgeries and treatment have certainly kept me functional (I have no disability).

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be 62 in about three weeks and have been on the waiting list for a liver transplant for nearly a year. The liver issues also resulted in kidney trouble to the extent that I was,(am), on the list for the install of a third kidney-that part thankfully is currently in remission and with luck will only need the two I've already got. The liver issue also means that my body cannot process a lot of medication I used to take which includes the oral medication that I was using for my type 2 insulin resistant diabetes which means I essentially live with yo- yo blood sugar which I treat with two different types of insulin.

I'm still here. I plan to go out kicking and screaming the same way I came into the world. Is has been an experience but I cannot say I've enjoyed it. Without modern medicine I would have been pushing up daisies some time ago. I am pretty vocal these days on the topics of organ donation and socialized medicine.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I am, as my wife puts it, disgustingly healthy. I have broken a bone, and have an assortment of scars, but nothing that would qualify as modern medicine. I do take daily drugs to control cholesterol and a couple more to make life more comfortable, but again, I'd still be here and functional without them. I don't even get sick that often, that long or that bad. That isn't to say if there weren't vaccines, antibiotics, or anti-virals, I would be here and functional without a doubt.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Never broken a bone, never had a cavity, nothing. Never even been put under. I'm not sad about any of that.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post