SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheap gun safe vs. better quality locking cabinet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap gun safe vs. better quality locking cabinet Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I'm going to be putting "something" in a remote office, mainly for locking up computers/pistols/cheap shotgun, etc.

I'm only going to spend a few hundred on it, as it won't be, often, used.

Would I be better off going for a higher quality locking cabinet/duty locker and a commercial padlock - we have a HS keyway system already at work - or a lower end gun safe?

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
When it comes to inexpensive, the fewer moving parts the better. I'd rather have a nicer cabinet than a cheaper safe if you're just using it to keep honest people honest.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I would use something like a steel walled Homak or equivalent if going on the cheap; it can be bolted to studs in the wall (and screwed to the floor if doing so isn't a big concern) for at least a modicum of security. By that I mean you cant break glass and walk away immediately.

Another option if this is meant to be readily accessible for emergencies might be a camouflage scenario that fools the casual observer. If the weapon is not too long, a Rubbermaid trash can (new, unused) filled with "clean" trash like balled up paper, clean plastic bottles, etc. I doubt too many thieves would look in a trash can.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would use something like a steel walled Homak or equivalent if going on the cheap; it can be bolted to studs in the wall (and screwed to the floor if doing so isn't a big concern) for at least a modicum of security. By that I mean you cant break glass and walk away immediately.

I like this idea. These cabinets can be pried open, but it takes time and will make some noise. Most burglars, looking for a quick score for their next fix, won't make that effort. You might get one who is more determined and brought along tools, but that's the gamble you take. Don't worry about professionals. They aren't after your few guns, or even a few dozen guns, in the first place. Always keep the key(s) on your person.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much?
Knaack box or other similar job site boxes (Rigid can be bought at your local Home Depot), even used ones, might be what you're looking for.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
How much?
Knaack box or other similar job site boxes (Rigid can be bought at your local Home Depot), even used ones, might be what you're looking for.

This is an excellent idea. Most cheap gang boxes are built better than the average locking metal cabinet.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post