SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Wall Is Being Built! (Slowly.)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wall Is Being Built! (Slowly.) Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
National Review
Jim Geraghty

The U.S. government is currently installing sections of Trump’s 30-foot-high wall in three places.

The good news for those who wish to see a wall built along the U.S.–Mexican border is that U.S. Customs and Border Protection has built seven miles of 30-foot-high wall in the past few months, and roughly 30 more miles of high fencing are slated for construction.

The bad news is that there’s still a lot of border to go.

New reports from Carlos Diaz, southwest branch chief of the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, indicate that one of the three current wall projects is nearly complete, another is about a quarter of the way done, and one just began earlier this month.

The first border-wall construction project began in February near downtown Calexico, Calif., roughly 120 miles east of San Diego. Here, construction contractor SWF Constructors, of Omaha, Neb., is putting up a 30-foot high “bollard-style wall” to replace 2.25 miles of wall built in the 1990s out of recycled scraps of metal and steel plates. (The bollard style uses bars, so that border patrol officers can see through to the other side.)

When construction began, the agency stated, “Although the existing wall has proven effective at deterring unlawful cross border activity, smuggling organizations damaged and breached this outdated version of a border wall several hundred times during the last two years, resulting in costly repairs.” When construction began, David Kim, assistant chief patrol agent for the Border Patrol’s El Centro sector, emphasized to local media that the construction was not tied to any particular immigration debate in Washington. It was, he said, a “local tactical infrastructure project that was planned for quite some time.”

This wall project, estimated to cost about $18 million, is approaching completion, with roughly 1.8 miles — 1,171 panels – completed as of this week.

In April, CBP began the second section near Santa Theresa, N.M., which is near the Texas–New Mexico state line. A 20-mile section of existing vehicle barrier that begins just west of the Santa Teresa Port of Entry and extending westward will be replaced with an 18- to 30-foot-high bollard-style wall. About 5.3 miles, or 3,851 panels, have been completed.

As the name implies, a vehicle fence is not designed to keep people out. It comes in two forms: “Normandy fences” that are metal posts resembling jacks or large X’s, cabled together; or rows of vertical metal posts, tall enough and close enough together to make it impossible to drive a car through them.

The project is expected to cost approximately $73.3 million and will take roughly a year to complete.

At the beginning of June, the CBP began the third project near San Diego, replacing approximately 14 miles of 8- to 10-foot-high scrap metal wall with an 18- to 30-foot bollard-style wall topped off with an anti-climbing plate. The project begins approximately a half-mile from the Pacific Ocean coastline and extends eastward to the base of Otay Mountain in East San Diego County. The project is estimated to cost $147 million; 50 panels have been installed as of June 20.

The total length of the U.S.–Mexico border is 1,954 miles; as of August 2017, 705 miles have at least one of four kinds of barriers: pedestrian primary fence, pedestrian secondary fence, pedestrian tertiary fence, and vehicle fence.

Pedestrian primary fencing can take a variety of forms, such as double steel mesh, bollard style, or solid steel plates. Pedestrian secondary fencing runs behind the primary fence, usually separated by a patrol road that allows the Border Patrol to monitor the area between fences. Tertiary pedestrian fencing is yet another layer of fencing behind the first two fences.

According to the General Accounting Office, the amount of primary and vehicle fencing increased fairly dramatically during the latter years of the Bush administration and in the first year or so of the Obama administration. From 2005 to 2010, the total miles of border fencing on the southwest border increased from 119 to 654 — including 354 miles of primary pedestrian fencing and 300 miles of primary vehicle fencing. But after 2010, construction of new fencing came to a virtual halt.

A map of the fencing completed as of December 2017 shows much of California’s border covered, Arizona heavily dependent on vehicle fencing (183 miles’ worth), with southwestern New Mexico and west Texas having the longest uncovered stretches. This aligns with the areas where the terrain and heat are most difficult for those attempting to sneak over the border.

Brandon Judd, president of the National Border Patrol Council — the labor union that represents U.S. Border Patrol — testified before Congress in April 2017:

I will not advocate for 2,000 miles’ worth of border. That is just not necessary. But what I will advocate for is a border wall in strategic locations, which helps us secure the border. . . . The building of barriers and large fences, a bipartisan effort, allowed agents in part to dictate where illegal crossings took place and doubled how effective I was able to be in apprehending illegal border crossers.

A wall “is not a panacea to illegal immigration and drug trafficking,” he added in his submitted written testimony. “Illegal immigrants and drug traffickers routinely go over, under, and through the existing fencing that we already have in place. Fencing without the proper manpower to arrest those who penetrate it is not a prudent investment.”

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Build that wall! I don’t care if we have to pay for all of it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm all for guard towers every few hundred yards, as well as keeping the terrain clear for 100 feet. Of course the guard towers should have guards with weapons and staffed 24/7. Let's get really serious. The illegals are one thing, it's the young terrorists and bad criminals getting through that really worry me. There is NO reason to allow bad criminals and terrorists in.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Sure, fix the screens and the weather seals on the doors as much as possible.

But we have to put the lid back on the sugar bowl, cover the trash cans and clean up the spilled food ...

or they'll still find a way.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Stupid waste of tax payer money.... will not fix or solve a thing... other than give some folks jobs.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering that we now hand out over $400 million in foreign aid to Mexico every year, why the big debate over where to get money for the wall?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Sure, fix the screens and the weather seals on the doors as much as possible.

But we have to put the lid back on the sugar bowl, cover the trash cans and clean up the spilled food ...

or they'll still find a way.

Well said. I've said this many times and I stand by it. Having traveled in South America and having seen desperate conditions... Were I in their position, I too would bring my family here. Of course I would.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:

Shoot. To. Kill... Let their rotting, fetid corpses serve as a warning to others. Take pictures, and carry them back south to your people.

Yeah, cause that's sensible. Roll Eyes

Jesus...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'm all for guard towers every few hundred yards, as well as keeping the terrain clear for 100 feet. Of course the guard towers should have guards with weapons and staffed 24/7. Let's get really serious. The illegals are one thing, it's the young terrorists and bad criminals getting through that really worry me. There is NO reason to allow bad criminals and terrorists in.

Illegals are illegal. They are criminals. There is zero justification to allow ANY of them in! What the hell is wrong with people???
Shoot. To. Kill... Let their rotting, fetid corpses serve as a warning to others. Take pictures, and carry them back south to your people. Let them know LEGAL immigration is their only hope, and death awaits any other route!

I’d hate to hear your ideas for punishing theft or speeding.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The promise wasn't the wall.

The promise was that the mexican government would pay for it.

Anyone holding their breath?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The promise wasn't the wall.

The promise was that the mexican government would pay for it.

Anyone holding their breath?

This is the last time I'm going to explain this to a liberal; but here goes . . . . .

First principle: Most illegals working in the US send money home to their family that they made here, correct?

Would you say 25,000 hard working illegals coming into this country per year is a high number?

Would you say that those 25,000 hard workers could relatively easily send home $5,000 in cash paying American jobs per year?

If you agree that those are reasonable figures, and not overblown estimates, do you own a calculator?

If you don't think 25000 is a crazy high number of illegals working hard in America, and if you don't think 5000 is a lot of money for them to send home, and if you do own a calculator, tell me this:

If they never got here because of the wall, who paid for the wall?

Wink

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
The promise wasn't the wall....

Yes it was.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7094 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Stupid waste of tax payer money.... will not fix or solve a thing... other than give some folks jobs.

And I'll bet you sleep with your doors unlocked every night too, and you never lock your car, right?

Stupid waste of money, those locks. It's not like thieves can't easily defeat them, why even bother?

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree!

Same thing with these stupid ass drunk driving laws. People still are being killed by drunk drivers, why waste all that time and money? I say we abolish the drunk driving laws ASAP.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

This is the last time I'm going to explain this to a liberal; but here goes . . . . .

Then explain it to someone else, asshole.

I'm not a liberal.

Then again, I didn't make the promise. The promise was make the mexicans pay for the wall.

NOT MY FUCKING TAX DOLLARS!!!!!!!

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d hate to hear your ideas for punishing theft or speeding.

Hey give him a break. His last job was as a Stasi.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Then explain it to someone else, asshole.

I'm not a liberal.

Then again, I didn't make the promise. The promise was make the mexicans pay for the wall.

NOT MY FUCKING TAX DOLLARS!!!!!!!

So that's a no to the calculator, huh?

I won't diminish myself to ad hominem attacks, as I believe that's a tactic of the losing side of any argument. However, if those illegals I mentioned are not here (because of the wall) to take - in your words - "YOUR FUCKING TAX DOLLARS" then once again, I ask you, who paid for the wall?

Let's assume you're super rich and you pay $1,000,000 in taxes every year. Now let's assume the average illegal receives $1,000 in government subsidies, healthcare, food stamps, etc. How many illegals does the wall need to keep out to make your tax burden zero? As we've established your lack of a calculator, I'll figure it out for you. 1000.

If my numbers - which I think are conservative - are close, every 1000 illegals that the wall keeps out pays us - THE FUCKING TAX PAYERS - $1,000,000.

For some, nothing short of some Mexican political figure handing DT one of those big made for TV checks for the wall will suffice. And that's never going to happen. So if that's your metric, Mexican Presidente hands Dandy Don a big ass check and shakes his hand and thanks him for the wall - then you're right, Mexico will not pay for the wall.

But those of us with calculators know better.

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
lol....too funny bionic...I have to clean the counter of spewed coffee now... Big Grin

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:

Horse shit,did you just wake up from a drunk stuper

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post