SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man shot by gun in oven
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man shot by gun in oven Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be surprised if an oven could get hot enough to cause a discharge.

Some ammo will start cooking off at around 350 degrees. Ovens have fired guns in the past under similar circumstances.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I found interesting in this story is that many members over the years have reported keeping their guns in vehicles in Summer heat and I've never heard of a cartridge igniting in those conditions.
It can get 140-160° in a car in direct sunlight, but that isn't nearly hot enough to "cook off" a cartridge. It takes ~500-550° … which is an oven set to broil. A cartridge in the chamber of a firearm will discharge at full power.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
What I found interesting in this story is that many members over the years have reported keeping their guns in vehicles in Summer heat and I've never heard of a cartridge igniting in those conditions.
It can get 140-160° in a car in direct sunlight, but that isn't nearly hot enough to "cook off" a cartridge. It takes ~500-550° … which is an oven set to broil. A cartridge in the chamber of a firearm will discharge at full power.

There was an article some years ago based on a test in which they started to see rifle round cook-offs in the 400-450 F. range.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else find it ironic that this was reported on wFMJ?

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I would say it sounds too ridiculous to be true, but my sister melted a laptop in her oven doing the same thing about eight years ago. Kept it there because nobody checks the oven when they break in to rob you. So yeah, people actually do this. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17112 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tell you with certainty that a .22 bullet will pop in a425° oven. The case exploded in several pieces.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness we have made it to page two and no one has insisted on “booger hook on the bang switch” as they do in every article about a gun going off. I swear, if I could find the dude who was the first one sitting there picking his nose and he pulls it out and goes “Huh, booger hook”. And then he looks at his pistol and loudly proclaims “BANG SWITCH” like somehow he just cured cancer, I would send a Terminator back to visit his great grand parents just to be sure.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is that the definition of hot lead?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Thank goodness we have made it to page two and no one has insisted on “booger hook on the bang switch” as they do in every article about a gun going off. I swear, if I could find the dude who was the first one sitting there picking his nose and he pulls it out and goes “Huh, booger hook”. And then he looks at his pistol and loudly proclaims “BANG SWITCH” like somehow he just cured cancer, I would send a Terminator back to visit his great grand parents just to be sure.

Shouldn't that be in the "Annoying phrases" thread?

Razz

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gives new meaning to the term "cook off".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How plausible is the story?

It can be treated with the same level of truth and fact as 'The Wizard of Oz'.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Should have been stored in the freezer or dishwasher.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:

Come on man, everyone knows your kitchen gun goes in the toaster, though you do have to shop around for the extra wide/bagel option to ensure universal fit.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Come on man, everyone knows your kitchen gun goes in the toaster, though you do have to shop around for the extra wide/bagel option to ensure universal fit.
Toaster oven. Best of both worlds. They give them away when you open a new bank account.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I read the article and the first thing I thought of was The Simpsons when Homer got his gun and he kept it in the vegetable crisper because kids would never look there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bun, bun! It's supposed to be a BUN in the oven!

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post