SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man shot by gun in oven
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man shot by gun in oven Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
What I found interesting in this story is that many members over the years have reported keeping their guns in vehicles in Summer heat and I've never heard of a cartridge igniting in those conditions. I've carried one particular gun in triple digit heat several times with no issues. Obviously the temperatures required to ignite a cartridge are higher than are what are normally encountered in ambient environments...but this clearly demonstrates that there is a flash point for a cartridge primer and powder.

Local radio news reported that he placed the gun in the oven for safe keeping when he learned that children would be coming to the home.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/3825...e-it-was-in-his-oven

Warren man shot by gun while it was in his oven
Posted: May 22, 2018 5:40 PM MDT
Updated: May 29, 2018 2:18 PM MDT
By Lauren Stebelton, Multi Media Producer

WARREN, Ohio -
A man in Warren was injured after being shot by a gun that went off while it was in his oven.

Police said the incident happened on Riverview Avenue on the city's Northwest side Sunday evening.

Detectives told 21 News the man placed a revolver in the broiler section of the oven to keep it safe.

A woman who lives at the home then started using the oven to cook when the gun went off, according to police.

Detectives said the man was in the basement at the time and did not know the woman was cooking.

When he heard the first shot, he ran upstairs and tried to get the gun out of the oven, but it was too hot.

It fired again, striking him twice, according to police.

Police said he is very lucky that he wasn't injured any worse.

The man was taken to the hospital and is expected to be alright.

Police have not filed any charges at this time.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Wow. Yea.. that little "storage drawer" under the oven is a great place to store Tupperware or some bamboo place mats.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the most negligent of ND ever.

What a maroon.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
"Detectives told 21 News the man placed a [bold] revolver [/bold]in the broiler section of the oven to keep it safe......

When he heard the first shot, he ran upstairs and tried to get the gun out of the oven, but it was too hot.

It fired again, striking him twice, according to police."

Label me a skeptic about this being accurate version of what happened.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

What a maroon.

Well, at least he wasn't doing back handsprings. ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How plausible is the story?

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
It could happen. Big Grin

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How plausible is the story?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'd be surprised if an oven could get hot enough to cause a discharge. As far as 2 shots out of a revolver goes, I suppose one could have been from the cylinder that's not lined up with the barrel. Sounds pretty fishy to me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
It could happen. Big Grin

Maybe with a Webley-Fossbery Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Of all the places to hide a gun. That's the best he could come up with? Roll Eyes

Almost makes keistering a gun sound reasonable.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The part where it says that the second shot struck him twice makes me think that the second shot was from a cartridge not lined up with the barrel and that the bullet split upon firing.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15252 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
The part where it says that the second shot struck him twice makes me think that the second shot was from a cartridge not lined up with the barrel and that the bullet split upon firing.

That was my assumption as well.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
"Detectives told 21 News the man placed a [bold] revolver [/bold]in the broiler section of the oven to keep it safe......

Yeah, me too! Questionable that a bullet that fired out of the cylinder but not down the barrel would have enough velocity to punch through the oven door and then injure the guy. I can see rounds "cooking off" in the oven. But with enough velocity to punch thru the door?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:

Yeah, me too! Questionable that a bullet that fired out of the cylinder but not down the barrel would have enough velocity to punch through the oven door and then injure the guy. I can see rounds "cooking off" in the oven. But with enough velocity to punch thru the door?

Not enough info to know for certain, but the article said that he tried to get the gun out of the oven but that it was too hot...I assumed that the gun fired while the door was open while he was trying to remove it.

Gotta keep those oven mitts handy!

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got a buddy who stores his kitchen gun in his oven. This is why I wouldn't. I'd certainly forget that it's there.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've got a buddy who stores his kitchen gun in his oven. This is why I wouldn't. I'd certainly forget that it's there.

Microwave ok?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warren, Ohio. Yeah it could happen like that.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Probably should have moved after the revolver shot him once. Why stick around for the second shot?

The revolver should have kept shooting until the threat had subsided or it was out of ammo.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm not buying the story.
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

What a maroon.
I could put a gun in my Dad's oven and it'd be perfectly fine as the only time it gets turned on is when I'm there. BTW, I live 1000+ miles away.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
If you know there will be kids in the house and you can't think of anyplace else to hide your handgun but the oven, maybe you should at least unload it first? Let your wife in on the secret hiding place?

It does sound fishy. A few years back there was a similar story in the local news where a handgun hidden in an oven fired and killed a child. At the time I wondered if that was a story someone cooked up to cover an AD.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post