SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the group Opinion of a Jeep Compass?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the group Opinion of a Jeep Compass? Login/Join 
posted
Sister is looking at a Compass. Coming from a Wrangler, but she had an Escape before that.
What is the general opinion of the Compass. Any major issues to watch out for? Looking at the Trail Hawk if that makes any difference.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I'd be checking out a lot of different cars before getting a Jeep Compass. I MIGHT get a loaded Grand Cherokee if I was loaded myself, but there are a ton of better small SUV's out there.

Have her test drive a Mazda CX-5

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was leaning toward the Imports, but she likes the jeep label and I think that will drive her search.

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’m fairly certain it’s been on the Forbes worst buy list since it’s inception.

https://www.forbes.com/picture...edeh/5-jeep-compass/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Consumer reports ranks it at 50:

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have had one as a rental car a few times. They are underpowered, ride rough and are woefully underwhelming. I can’t imagine their resale or reliability will be impressive.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I'd be checking out a lot of different cars before getting a Jeep Compass. I MIGHT get a loaded Grand Cherokee if I was loaded myself, but there are a ton of better small SUV's out there.

Have her test drive a Mazda CX-5

THIS. I'd check out another Ford product LONG before a Jeep Compass. I rode in one the other day, and it rode like crap IMO. Very stiff suspension and make a turn felt like you were rolling out of your seat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I was doing research on SUV's recently and it gets crappy ratings across the board. Lots of used ones for sale for cheap prices compared to other brands.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Lots of used ones for sale for cheap prices compared to other brands."

Pretty much the only thing a Compass has going for it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
A co-worker drove one...for about a year.

Said he was often afraid to merge into traffic because the thing had next to zero acceleration.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I rented one a few months back and returned it early. Hated it. Uncomfortable, shitty visibility, no acceleration.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If she's wanting a compact crossover like the Jeep Compass or her old Ford Escape, have her look at the Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5 instead, which offer better performance/reliability/value. Those are generally regarded as the best in that class. The new style Honda CR-Vs are getting good reviews too.

If she's hung up on them being "imports", have her research where cars are built...

Some of the compact crossover "imports" are actually built in the US, like the Honda CR-V for example. (Some of the Subarus are built in the US too, although I think the Forester specifically is still built in Japan.)

On the flip side, some of the "domestics" are built out of the country. That "domestic" Jeep Compass she's looking at is built in Mexico. Wink

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
It's a 4 wheel drive Fiat.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
I do training for Chrysler dealers and I am very familiar with the Compass. Models older than the all new Compass mid year 2017 are not great vehicles. They were designed to bring people from a sedan to the SUV world and are mediocre vehicles at best. Having said that, the 2017.5 and 2018 Compass is all new from the ground up and is a pretty nice vehicle. The Wrangler she ha been driving has the best resale value of any vehicle mass produced in the U.S. Have her drive the "New" Compass and let her decide what she thinks.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The good news: It looks like a Jeep.
The bad news: It isn't.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only Jeep worth buying is a Wrangler.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Coming from a long time Jeep owner, my next Jeep will be something else. Jeep has abandoned its roots with everything except the Wrangler, and the new JL is a few steps down the wrong road.

The Compass is pretty much the poster child for everything that is wrong with Jeep.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

I originally was going to say this but didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings. Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

And the Grand Cherokee. Preferably the SRT model.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obliged. I will pass it on to her.