SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just had 3 trees fall on my house and smash in part of my roof...what's my next step?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just had 3 trees fall on my house and smash in part of my roof...what's my next step? Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Any tips for how to deal with insurance etc?

Thanks

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Any tips for how to deal with insurance etc?

Thanks

Yep, that's where you start. If you have a good agent, they will get you started. They'll be busy so don't expect a quick response.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
insurance

call insurance company

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
call claims now,

make sure you can secure what you need,

get your valuables, including your family, safe,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. You're in my neck of the woods. I've lived in Georgia for more than thirty years and this is the most severe weather resulting from a tropical storm that I've seen. No one around here has power. I drove all around my area and it is dark.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Expert here. When it is safe to do, inspect the damage and take pictures. Make temporary repairs, ie blue tarp if roof leaking.

Insurance will pay to get the tree off the house. Will not pay to remove other fallen trees. It will pay for repairs. Take your time and get a good roofer.

Call your insurance agent, who will then give you 1 800 number to call. It is typically recorded and you get a case number. An adjuster will come out and calculate estimate for repair. People who have the most severe damage get seen first. Expect it will be several weeks. Be patient and work with the adjuster.

The insurance check if large enough will be made out to your and your mortgage company if it exceeds a certain amount. They must endorse for you to get the money. The mortgage company will release the money once they inspect and job complete. You then pay the roofer.

Most insurance companies will reimburse you if you hire someone to make a temporary repair, ie tarping etc. Hope this helps.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. You're in my neck of the woods. I've lived in Georgia for more than thirty years and this is the most severe weather resulting from a tropical storm that I've seen. No one around here has power. I drove all around my area and it is dark.

It sucks. I have been there. Feel for you.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Having no power for a day of two is nothing compared to trees falling on your home or having it soaked in dirty water

Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I can't believe how bad this got. I live kind of at the top of a hill and am surrounded by a bunch of trees but there are like 8-10 down on my property right now.

Seems like:
1) take picture
2) call insurance agent
3) get someone to come out. Cut the tree off my house and tarp over the hol

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tree service company who is bonded and insured will get the tree removed, and do brief inspection for structural integrity. Some skill is required so as to avoid additional damage. They may or may not do the blue tarp for you. Done properly, it should not leak.

posted Hide Post
Get your valuables and sentimental items if you can. Make sure your family is safe. After that, as mentioned call your carrier. If you don't mind, who is your insurance through? I may be able to give you a rundown/advice of what to expect.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Expert here. When it is safe to do, inspect the damage and take pictures. Make temporary repairs, ie blue tarp if roof leaking.

Insurance will pay to get the tree off the house. Will not pay to remove other fallen trees. It will pay for repairs. Take your time and get a good roofer.

Call your insurance agent, who will then give you 1 800 number to call. It is typically recorded and you get a case number. An adjuster will come out and calculate estimate for repair. People who have the most severe damage get seen first. Expect it will be several weeks. Be patient and work with the adjuster.

The insurance check if large enough will be made out to your and your mortgage company if it exceeds a certain amount. They must endorse for you to get the money. The mortgage company will release the money once they inspect and job complete. You then pay the roofer.

Most insurance companies will reimburse you if you hire someone to make a temporary repair, ie tarping etc. Hope this helps.

Good advice, just to add a few things...

Depending on the scope of damage a draw may be required, not uncommon and mortgage companies know this. You'll need more than a roofer too. Probably mitigation company and a contractor for repairs. Wouldn't be surprised if the depreciation amount is held back upfront, don't worry about that if you have replacement cost insurance. If for some reason it is only roof repairs, make damn sure you get a LOCAL reputable roofer. Crap roofers will be coming out of the wood work after Irma.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
You don't deal with stuff like this every day, insurance companies do. You almost surely have more than roof damage. Work hard to find a good contractor. They will have invaluable experience dealing with such matters.

We had a big tree on the house a few years back, I was lost. The local building market was really slumping, ended up getting a guy whose main work was building custom homes. He fought for us tooth and nail with the insurance company. When all was said and done, we had a better house.

Sorry for your troubles, hope you can make it work for you.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8329 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Amurr, I know a good roofer who knows how to deal with insurance companies. Email me if you're interested.

Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Get your valuables and sentimental items if you can. Make sure your family is safe. After that, as mentioned call your carrier. If you don't mind, who is your insurance through? I may be able to give you a rundown/advice of what to expect.

Thanks Matt. I use Farmers

Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Amurr, I know a good roofer who knows how to deal with insurance companies. Email me if you're interested.

Thanks Para, email headed your way.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Is there any water damage on the inside? Make sure you think about remediation for that, including fans and dehumidifiers. The insurance company should mention this but just in case since they're likely swamped and may get overwhelmed.

Also your area will likely be inundated with shade tree contractors who flock to areas after disasters occur. We saw them here after the massive amounts of snow we got 2 years ago when everyone had ice dams. Avoid anyone who comes to your door offering their services, stick to people you know or who friends know (Such as Para's recommendations) or recommendations from the insurance company.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

agree. alberto rained more (a lot more, actually) in 1994 but don't remember it bringing this kind of wind.

OP, I have a friend on Flowery Branch Bay that also took a direct hit from a tree to his house. They just moved in August 10.

My advice is that insurance is going to be paying so get a pro to come in and get the tree down unless you really know what you're doing. You don't want an injury claim on top of a house claim. Hope it is resolved asap and glad no one was hurt.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Be thankful this isn't your house. I've not been out and about but we didn't lose power where I am but it's down all around me...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to show this to about a dozen people in the neighborhood.

all of them have 80 y.o. oaks, walnuts and maples
towering over their homes.

not one of them has trimmed or maintained them in the least.

these trees ar 75-95 feet tall, and 20 feet from the homes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post