SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some work and life advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some work and life advice Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. You get four days off a week from a job that has good pay and excellent benefits, and you want to quit and become a landscaper? Have you ever lifted a "one man rock" and carried it 30 or 40 feet? All day long when you are almost 50?

My advice is to suck it up and do whatever you have to do to get through the day.

That's my opinion anyways.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:

One of the big changes for me is being in the cubicle environment. An engineer right on the opposite side of my cube talks so much that I can't figure that he has time to breathe. I can wear earbuds and headphones but it distracts from the job.

OK, I know this sounds like Capt. Obvious, but just see if you can get your cubicle moved farther away from the annoying engineer.

I could post a long-winded story of my part-time desk situation for 9 months out of the year, but I've been much less stressed for the last 3 weeks, since my problem co-worker has taken her usual summer off (even though her youngest has now finished 3 years of college). Big Grin
The only reason this woman still has a job is because my wife feels sorry for her. She's only two years older than my wife & myself, but with all her bitching & moaning about her kids, her health, etc. etc. you'd think she was 50 years older than us. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:
I used to work on the floor and now work in a cubicle. I'm not sure if I'm geared for cubicle desk work and I deal with many engineers. I'm a tech.

At 12 years as an engineering technician with my company I recently gave up the desk I have had for 2.5 years and went back out to the floor. Life is great and the Stress level is through the floor.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
So I'm a 49 year old tech at a semiconductor company (Micron) too. Simplest daily thing you can do to make your day better is work out during lunch. I'm sure they have a gym. It'll break up the day and you'll feel better the 2nd half of those long dragging days by giving your mind a break from work concentrating on working out and a natural high from the Adrenalin and stuff.

2nd thing you can do maybe change your schedule if they will allow. While having 3/4 days off in a row can be nice, but only if you are using those days productively. 12 hours days are LONG regardless that you'll have more days off during the week. Especially if your just wasting a couple of them recovering from the work schedule If you don't need that many days off in a row, it can be nice to work more but shorter days in a week, you can probably change again later. I do 4 10's. 12's are too hard. 8's make the weekend too short in my opinion.

Any physical labor job at your age is going to kick your ass. You might think you're up to the task, but if you've been a tech for so long, I doubt it. I know it would kick my ass and I work out every single day and can bench almost double my weight easy. Two hours laying shingles, or digging holes, etc and I'm wasted, I can't imagine how I would feel after 10 hours of that kind of labor...

Take a vacation, relax, come back and suck it up, and figure out how to change yourself or your work circumstances so the job won't suck so bad instead of abandoning it at a bad age to do so. All jobs suck, but you need to keep your mind on whats good about your job instead of obsessing on what's bad. Water and fertilize the grass your already on instead of looking over that fence before you make those kinds of poor on-the-fly decisions.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Why don't you do something else in addition to your job right now?

Also, I hope you're maxing out your 401k and savings while you're still working. It's quite a relief to find out that you've saved enough to not have to work.

I hated a previous job because it was killing with hard work and long hours. But I maxed out my 401k. I found another job but the new boss was senile. I quit. Imagine my surprise when I figured out that my 401k from the job I hated put me over the top to not have to work.

If I had known that, I would have stuck in there and milked it for a couple of more years and just relax.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start a side hobby buisness. Make magic wands and sell them to mushroom shnorting wickens. Though i think someone here has that market cornered.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you have the time & motivation to go back to school and get the degree, do it. Life is exceedingly difficult for a man in his fifties should you lose your job and not have a degree. I concur with the exercise regimen as well. If not active, start slow & ramp up. Be mindful of your blood pressure & other vitals Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
So I'm a 49 year old tech at a semiconductor company (Micron) too. Simplest daily thing you can do to make your day better is work out during lunch. I'm sure they have a gym. It'll break up the day and you'll feel better the 2nd half of those long dragging days by giving your mind a break from work concentrating on working out and a natural high from the Adrenalin and stuff.

2nd thing you can do maybe change your schedule if they will allow. While having 3/4 days off in a row can be nice, but only if you are using those days productively. 12 hours days are LONG regardless that you'll have more days off during the week. Especially if your just wasting a couple of them recovering from the work schedule If you don't need that many days off in a row, it can be nice to work more but shorter days in a week, you can probably change again later. I do 4 10's. 12's are too hard. 8's make the weekend too short in my opinion.

Any physical labor job at your age is going to kick your ass. You might think you're up to the task, but if you've been a tech for so long, I doubt it. I know it would kick my ass and I work out every single day and can bench almost double my weight easy. Two hours laying shingles, or digging holes, etc and I'm wasted, I can't imagine how I would feel after 10 hours of that kind of labor...

Take a vacation, relax, come back and suck it up, and figure out how to change yourself or your work circumstances so the job won't suck so bad instead of abandoning it at a bad age to do so. All jobs suck, but you need to keep your mind on whats good about your job instead of obsessing on what's bad. Water and fertilize the grass your already on instead of looking over that fence before you make those kinds of poor on-the-fly decisions.

Off topic but does a fellow named Dave Cathey still work there?

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're both experienced and reasonably to pretty good at what you do.

What is causing the stress in the situation? IOW, is it real, or is it something you can choose to care less about, still have the same good results and enjoy where you are more?

Whether yes or no, I'd still make sure I was looking at other options that I thought would be better for me, but I'd first get honest with myself about what my real issues are where I am, and if I can better control them. Or let them go....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:...Maybe some running or cycling should come into play. It's hot as hell down here right now, haha.

Your best alternative yet. I cycled competitively for 7 years riding/training 20,000 miles a year. There wasn't much time for anything besides work but my mental state was very relaxed because I exercised hard and was releasing endorphins into my system daily. I preferred cycling to running as there is less stress on joints but running doesn't require much equipment other than very good shoes. Regardless of which activity you decide to pursue, if there is a high level of physical exertion have a physical and talk with your doctor about your goals. Get involved in a group/club of like minded athletes. Most are more than willing to help a new member with training information and provide encouragement to get you started.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:

Off topic but does a fellow named Dave Cathey still work there?

Not according to the employee listing.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've read the entire thread, and the following is my opinion, and opinion only...

Don't let today's dissatisfaction with a relatively good situation (pay, manager, higher manager, time off, etc.) cause you to jump without a net.

You don't need a change today, you need a plan for tomorrow. You need to decide where you want to be, and by that I mean: what do you want to do for work? what do you want for entertainment and pleasure? do you want a stable woman in you life or not? what do you need to get paid to have the time and resources to do these things?

If you can answer these questions, you can build a plan to get where you want to be, and execute on the plan.

From what I can tell, you are respected in your company, paid fairly, have time, like your management, and are generally active and healthy. That's a pretty good place to be starting from if you want to make future changes. I wouldn't throw any of that away until I knew what I was going to do and where I was going to go.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post