SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some work and life advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some work and life advice Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
After 16 years and a boss you like, I'll guess he'd be open to a discussion of broadening your responsibilities and taking steps to reduce the stress. Before you talk to him, though, prepare a succinct description of the stressful aspects, and a couple solutions for him to think about.

Forty-nine years old is about the worst time to simply walk away and hope for greener pastures. You're too old to be considered for most entry-level jobs, and too young to simply retire. Additional college work over the next year or two may improve your salability, both inside and outside your current company, but you have to have a defined goal.

Good luck.

I know, man. I've had many bosses through the years and my current boss and manager are really great.
One of the big changes for me is being in the cubicle environment. An engineer right on the opposite side of my cube talks so much that I can't figure that he has time to breathe. I can wear earbuds and headphones but it distracts from the job.

I just need to ride it out for awhile.

Take a vacation. Go somewhere for at least a week or two and decompress. Take a cruise...or go to some caribbean country......

Honestly, your job doesn't sound bad at all. Your current boss and manager are great. You have an amount of days off every week that most people would envy.....maybe talk to your boss about moving your cubicle or about the cubicle issue period and can you take a 5 minute walk every hour or two? You make good money, have health insurance..... you want to have a totally different perspective, sign up to be an uber driver and one of your days off each week spend the whole day drivig for uber.......after you hear how bad a lot of other people's lives are, you'll think differently.

You are right. And like someone else up above said, the grass is always greener. I need to take a drive and head down to the coast for a few days.

Is it possible that your friend leaving has triggered your "grass is greener"? Doesn't even sound like you dislike the job itself! And I think it's a mistake to walk away from a great manager and boss. A combo like that is rare. At that many years with the company, I'd expect you have some "hand". If you want to go back to the floor, at least on a limited basis, ask. If you want to move to another cube, ask. Explain why, of course. I think you'll find they'll listen with open ears. Enjoy your vacation downtown the coast!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5299 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I have a pretty healthy lifestyle outside of work. Golf, hunting, outdoors, etc. The girlfriend thing may be part of it right now as far as my attitude.
But, honestly, I really am burned out with the industry and feel like I've got to get out before I turn to stone.

Those are nice activities, but that's not the same as cardiovascular exercise which helps to decrease the impacts of stress. Just a thought...

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a lot going for you. Use it to your advantage. Talk to a job counselor etc?

At 50 it could be a mid life crisis type thing?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are your finances like?

If you have a lot of $$ saved you could make a switch.

Also - what is your fitness regimen??

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm old school suck it up and show up. All work sucks that's why it's called work. Continue to do your job but don't take it so seriously. You're not working for them, you're working for you so put in your time and get the fuckin money. Never give up your good pork chop unless you have a prime rib in hand.

Posts: 4689 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Sounds like all is good except for "stress," which could mean a lot of things.

I would try to ID/ the cause of the stress, and focus on eliminating it or finding a way to negate its effects or ignore it. For me, that could include adopting a don't give a shit attitude internally, while still doing my best. In other words, only worry about what's in my sand box.

If unable to get a handle on the stress, I would be seriously looking for another job where I could apply the same skills and abilities (but maybe not the same technical knowledge).

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
With BP surpassing 145/95 and weight ballooning, I quit a sales position in 2013 and went back to self employment.

I'm able to make ends meet at a quarter of the pay, health is back on track, and GFs who are looking for a sugar daddy quickly make tracks. Current GF has a 13 year old, has her own resources, and wants to love me to death.

I've just bid on 3 consecutive months at one job. It would not sound like a lot of money to anyone used to a combined income over $200k, but living simply, I'd be doing fine.

Cheaper health insurance is now available. Max out-of-pocket around $6k.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My nephew had a job that sounds similar to your job function. He was able to transition to a field tech type position that also has an element of sales. He's on the road a bit (sounds like your lifestyle would work) but loves the job. Making even better money.
I've been a field employee for 26 years. If you have the ability to manage your work without direct supervision it is great.
Another option would be to seek another position internally that would get you out of the cubicle. I did the cubicle world for 2 years and hated it.

I'd be hesitant to just bail on my current situation without an intelligent landing spot. Suspect you have some golden handcuffs with vacation time and other benefits that make trying to stay internal more attractive.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Definitely plan to get out of the current job, and work less and at least in something that doesn't drag you down. Easy to do, as you have what sounds like zero baggage. There is no point of doing something that drains you mentally.

I like your reply. I've just got to find something before I jump ship. A buddy of mine recently quit and he's got a wife, 2 daughters, and a son. A hard thing to leave good money and a good job, but sometimes I think you have to.

Just make sure you do not burn any bridges, just in case.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that if you get your personal life in order, the present business side will click into place. They are symbiotic.

Find a good, nurturing woman. Yes, they do exist. Granted, the fun part is the hunt. Eats too.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm 49 years old and...

Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you decide to jump ship. Approaching 50 years old can reduce your options significantly.

quote:
...the girlfriend just put on the brakes.

Somehow I suspect this may be a big part of the cause of your angst.

You might be better-served by asking yourself why she did that and do you really care? The answer to either might give you the answer to the other.

quote:
I'm actually in a new position( almost 2 years) at work and I like what I do and I like my boss and manager, but the stress gets to me.

Careful. I would hazard a guess that less people than you think can claim they like their job and the people to whom they report.

quote:
I've thought about going back to school as I have close to 90 hours of college credit.

What degree? Degrees aren't magic.

Put another way: What do you want to be when you grow up?

quote:
I have a pretty healthy lifestyle outside of work. Golf, hunting, outdoors, etc.

None of those is necessarily "healthy." Golf, for example. Yeah, done almost any way it's probably at least marginally healthier than sitting on a couch downing beer and potato chips, but, if you're primarily using a golf cart and your main exercise is simply swinging the club: Not all that demanding, exercise-wise.

Likewise hunting. Taking a 4-wheeler to the blind and sitting in it for hours on end isn't exercise.

I'm retiring, shortly. Very shortly. I've been where you are. After a bit of self-examination I've realized how good I really had it and the job dissatisfaction evaporated.

I'm not saying don't make a change. I'm saying make sure of where you really are and have some idea of where you think you want to be.

Above all: Don't let the girlfriend dumping you cause you to act rashly.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30636 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There's a song about not knowing what you've got until it's gone, which seems appropriate.

You have lots of off time, a boss you like, in a solid industry.

You don't like cubicles and a co worker that talks a lot.

Many would say you're in a fantastic position.

Most jobs suck donkey balls, comparatively.

Best of luck either way, but I'd seek perspective first.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I would only echo what many here have said about making sure you understand what you have versus what's available to you.

I would also add - how much would your stress and dissatisfaction increase if you had a job where you had little or no time off and could barely pay your bills? Give that a try for a while and you might appreciate your current situation a little more.

I would assume the landscape thing was just a throwaway remark to blow off steam - surely you wouldn't seriously consider that as a career change. Nothing against landscaping - but you are talking about moving into a day laborer position at the age of 49 years old, not owning or managing a landscaping company.

At your age you better have your hand firmly on the next rung of the ladder before you let go of what you have and be sure you know the implications of grabbing that rung.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Take a vacation, a long one. Several weeks, if possible. Get in the car and drive, just see where you end up. Use the time away to relax. I'll bet you'll be in a better place when it's time to go back, or you'll know what you want to do. Either way, it's a win.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nothing worse than being in a job you hate for whatever the reason.
You just need to find whatever you enjoy and can live financially on.
Making the decision to do something else is the first step then up to you to figure out what that is.
Perhaps open your own business if you are so inclined, self employment can be very enjoyable.
Not easy and good luck.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I have been putting my entire check into my bill account every paycheck. Obviously you can't do that if it's your only income stream but add your bills up and double it, then every month you work you are keeping yourself afloat an additional month. Build a 6+ month buffer then do what you want.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A lot of people would give their left nut to have a job like yours.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. Most all of your advice is good and spot-on. I'm going to stick it out for the time being. It is a good job and I have lots of time off. I'll take a vacation.

As far as the girlfriend, she works a lot, her daughter graduated high school and is moving away to college.
She pretty much raised this girl alone with some help from her parents. She basically says she has no time right now for a serious relationship.

We still talk a little bit but I'm just going to give her time. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't. I've known her for 20 years and we just started dating at the beginning of this year.

So, I'm gonna keep doing my job and quit whining. I do need more physical activity. I know golf isn't an intense sport. I'm in good health, though. Maybe some running or cycling should come into play. It's hot as hell down here right now, haha.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just going to give her time

In the meantime, you're free to date others.

Enjoy.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post