SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another nostalgia thread: Do you Remember?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another nostalgia thread: Do you Remember? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
Playing: Jacks, Marbles, Hopscotch, Worky-up, Ring-a-leevio,

Stickball, Hare and The Hounds, Musical Chairs, Mumbly Peg,

Kick the Can, Horse, Olly Olly Auction Over,

Do you Remember: Milkmen delivering milk to your door,

The Iceman delivering Blocks of Ice from a Horse drawn wagon,

Flying a Kite, baseball cards and clothespins on your bicycle,

Catching Honey Bees or Fireflies in a Mason jar,

Walking the RR tracks looking for unspent flares and RR Spikes,

Putting Pennies on the RR or streetcar tracks, Climbing trees,

Ringing doorbells and running, Scrounging for soda bottles for the 2 cent refund,

Skipping rocks on a lake.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can play most of those games on my Ipad. Eek

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Regretfully I'm old enough to remember most of those activities. Snow forts and tether ball are a couple you forgot. How about pea shooters and paper airplanes for a couple more. I could go on and on.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Running bases, and dare I say - Smear the Queer.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Three on the Tree.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Invisible men on base when you did not have enough players.

Posts: 783 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Using firecrackers to blow up ant hills.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
Smear the Queer.

YES!!!

In addition to pencils and knuckles, and soccer in the street under the street light until 11PM.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Invisible men on base when you did not have enough players.

Man, that brings back memories.
Haven't thought about that in years.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the biggest most dangerous 70's game of all- "lawn darts".

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Regretfully I'm old enough to remember most of those activities. Snow forts and tether ball are a couple you forgot. How about pea shooters and paper airplanes for a couple more. I could go on and on.

Jim

Yes, same here.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
How about making a skooter out of a 2x4 with half a roller skate nailed to the front and back with an orange crate nailed on top to steer.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Yup, remember them all. Smile

You forgot playing "baseball" with a two bladed pocket knife. Smile

For those unfamiliar: https://chestofbooks.com/craft...-A-Pocket-Knife.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was just talking to my Sister about this a couple of days ago.

We agreed we missed the old A&W drive in, they'd bring you out a ice cold A&W root beer in a big heavy frozen glass mug on a window tray and place it on your car window.

I miss that.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Realistic cap guns sold at every store and carried by every kid. No wonky colors or red tips on the barrels.

Digging trenches in your lawn for Army Men wars.

Burning things with magnifying glasses.

Snow fort wars that lasted days, as long as the snow lasted, even when it became ice wars.

quote:
Fireflies in a Mason jar

That reminds me of summers at the grandparents and at the lake. Fireflies ALL over, catch them in a jar for a light at night, let them go in the morning.

We see a handful around occasionally, but not like back in the day.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive in movies. Duck and Cover.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
How about that simple game in the field we called "War".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walked to local movie theater on Sat with a dime. 9 cents to get in, 1 cent for peppermint stick candy. 4 showings:
A news Reel
Cartoon
3 stooges
A cowboy movie where the cowboy with the white hat always saves the pretty girl.

Posts: 798 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:

Do you Remember: Milkmen delivering milk to your door,

The Iceman delivering Blocks of Ice from a Horse drawn wagon,

Flying a Kite, baseball cards and clothespins on your bicycle,

Catching Honey Bees or Fireflies in a Mason jar,

Walking the RR tracks looking for unspent flares and RR Spikes,

Putting Pennies on the RR or streetcar tracks, Climbing trees,

Ringing doorbells and running, Scrounging for soda bottles for the 2 cent refund,

Skipping rocks on a lake.
Remember all except the ice man. Also going to get a polio shot as it was a "new" wonder drug. Bibles being handed out in the public school library. The Good Humor man. PF Flyer gym shoes. Lone Ranger, Superman and cartoons on Sat. morning TV. What a wonderful time to be a kid.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
How about that simple game in the field we called "War".

Yep. Played a lot of war. When the walnuts started to drop they became grenades. When walnuts were not available dirt clods worked pretty good on your enemy.

“Roof top football” was a favorite.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post