SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appears I go to school with a bunch of pompous, arrogant people (Rollins College)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appears I go to school with a bunch of pompous, arrogant people (Rollins College) Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
My daughter who is a gifted tennis player considered Rollins. My impression is that you were mild in your criticism. They think they are the Harvard of Florida with the top notch sorority shit to top it off. She went elsewhere and was happy she did.

Not sure why they think that way. I'm only in my first semester and the academics seem fine and the campus is beautiful but not sure why they think it's so elite.

quote:
Originally posted by ss9961:
You had me at “Rollins”.

Damn. Didn't know the school had such a reputation.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Be careful it doesn’t rub off on you

The most pompous thing I read in your story was “I have MBA after my last name....”

I get what you’re saying. But some of what you’re getting may be insecurity, which is magnified by working with someone a lot older and with a lot more experience

I went to law school under similar experiences to you...military, already a masters degree, much older than them”kids” right out of college. Some of those kids have become lifelong best friends.

I'm sure it won't rub off on me. I consider myself to be a pretty humble dude.

I said MBA just to give some smugness back to them and to let them know I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt.

I would much rather make friends than a list of people I'd never want to see again.

quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
I have been out to Rollins for my job and interacted with both students and administration. You are certainly right about the students but the administration seems to be more mature (although not less liberal).

With your background, I believe you should stick it out, especially if you are in the Hamilton-Holt Business School. A Masters Degree from there, especially in the Orlando area is highly thought of.

I have to interact with quite a number of these types you are experiencing. They are arrogant, rude, and most of all unknowledgeable about life and the way things really work.

Is it possible that you can bring a bit of sanity to the group or even mentor a right thinking dedicated fellow student? Even one makes a difference. I know these people exist although they are few.

That's why I'm sticking it out for now because of the reputation the school has.

I doubt I could ever bring sanity to a group of people like this. Their heads are so far up their ass that they don't even smell their own shit anymore.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I went to UCF in the 80's and played in a couple of bands that played a lot of gigs in Winter Park.
The Rollins students were a bunch of spoiled, insufferable douchebags back then.
It would appear things haven't changed much.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
School is Rollins College in Winter Park, FL. It's a small, private school next to Orlando and seen by many as a good school. I completed my MBA in June but had 17 months left so I decided to pursue a masters in human resources.

There are about 30 of us in the cohort, 3 of us have advanced degrees. One student has an MBA and another has a MS from the local state school (UCF).

The most pompous two are ones that are in their mid-late 20's who work in healthcare, both are female with one of them being a recruiter. The recruiter said she could help me find work within her organization. I found a few postings and sent them to her along with some feedback and a resume. Only feedback I got was she wasn't the recruiter for those positions. I don't know, maybe it's just my mentality being that if something isn't my responsibility and not in my lane but told someone I would help them, I would forward the request to the appropriate person. Roll Eyes

The one who is not a recruiter, for our Monday class, this dumbass suggested we use a Toy Story as the background on the slide deck. Yes, the fucking cartoon. I thought she was joking until I saw her use it on the shared document. I changed it and put in the title "this is not appropriate for graduate level work, change this to something professional."

The one who is a recruiter, for our Tuesday class, we did a 45 minute presentation. From what I've gathered in 8 weeks of knowing her, she likes the spotlight, lots of talking (not much information) on her parts. Tends to overthink things. Her attitude is pompous and arrogant, I guess she feels empowered since she's a recruiter and gets the opportunity to change people's lives?

I'm pretty quiet in class but the other day she said to me in a tone I didn't like, "is your part going to be okay? Are you comfortable?" I smirked and said, "I have MBA after my last name, I think I'll be okay."

The others in my Tuesday group are all female ages 23, 23, 27 and 28. I know the 23 year olds would've never gotten into the MBA program I did due to lack of work experience.

If I take shit for this here then so be it but I don't feel they are my peers. I'm 40 years old, have 11 years as a commissioned officer in the Army (8 of those years active duty), an MBA and generally more work and life experience than they do. Yet I don't go around them acting like I'm some sort of genius.

Maybe it's the school. Buddy of mine I met there in a different program, 11B, Army Ranger and all. He's dropping out after this semester because he gets the same arrogance and pompous attitude not only from his fellow students but his professors as well. He doesn't want to waste another semester of GI Bill on that place.

Is this normal for kids these days to act like this? My apologies but anyone under 30 is kid-like to me these days. I remember when I hadn't hit 30 yet. Big Grin Maybe it's the old man in me but they come up with these ideas that don't seem relevant or practical. Our presentation was on Sears. They first proposed that compensation was too low and that Sears should pay more. I said Sears is in financial trouble and can't pay people more... They looked at me like I had a dick on my forehead.

At least Arc isn't in your class. Then you'd really have someone to complain about.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Hey...don't feel bad, Edmond. When you finish and get out in the work force, your next thread will be "Appears I work with a bunch of pompous, arrogant people [insert place of employement]"

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Hey...don't feel bad, Edmond. When you finish and get out in the work force, your next thread will be "Appears I work with a bunch of pompous, arrogant people [insert place of employement]"

Big Grin Big Grin

That's what will probably end up happening. These people will end up being the same group of people but in the work world.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
At least Arc isn't in your class. Then you'd really have someone to complain about.

At least I'd have someone to talk to about guns. Big Grin These people would probably freak out at the word gun.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
After getting to know this recruiter woman in your class, do you have any further questions why I hold these people in utter contempt, and classify them as the most worthless group in any corporation? And trust me, she's not unique, or the exception, in any way.

Funny piece of history. I played baseball for Florida Southern College in Lakeland, and we used to play Rollins a couple times every year. I can't remember a single time during the three years I was at Southern that we didn't totally dominate Rollins' team on the field. Gave me great pleasure to return to Orlando and beat them so badly all their fans had left by the 7th inning. Big Grin

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
After getting to know this recruiter woman in your class, do you have any further questions why I hold these people in utter contempt, and classify them as the most worthless group in any corporation? And trust me, she's not unique, or the exception, in any way.

Oh I have an even better one for you. MBA classmate of mine works for Deloitte in Virginia; he's been referring me into jobs for them for quite a while. He even went as far as to e-mail and speak to a veteran recruiter. Back in May, he gets in touch with someone out of Cleveland and he says he will have the recruiter in Lake Mary call me. The guy must have had some pull because she called me the day he said she would. She calls me, I go in and meet with a team, go around the facility. She tells me, "your resume is great, we can definitely use you in our firm. We have a manning conference next month (June) and I'll have a better idea of where we will have vacancies. June comes and goes, I contact her 2nd week in July and ask her what came of the manning conference. Tells me it will be July until she knows. July comes and goes, contact her in August and she says, "I'm continuing to push your credentials."

I'm keeping my friend updated and after the September and October e-mails of the same shit, he gets in touch with her and asks her what's going on. He had referred me into a position back in September and I never heard anything. He told her he referred me into a position and sent her a link with the job ID with me Cc'd. She asks me if I applied for the position and tells him that she's not the recruiter for the position. So why didn't she do something to help her organization by referring my friend or me to the recruiter so we could contact him?

Again, lazy fuck.

But then I guess Deloitte is seen as some elite organization that's so forward thinking that people are willing to get pissed on waiting years to get hired. Not this guy, got a rejection e-mail from them and decided that I will no longer pursue any positions with them.

Again, I ask what the point of an internal recruiter is? At least an external recruiter has incentive to get an applicant placed because they would get paid.

This whole shit fest has me thinking if I really want to live in Orlando. There are obviously good jobs here because the prices of homes are insane, especially the ones I used to build for Lennar. Homes were starting at $400,000. I know not everyone can be a business owner, doctor or lawyer. So where are these good jobs at? But these days it's about "networking", can't just apply and let your resume do the talking.

posted Hide Post
Do what you have to do to finish that degree and then use it to your advantage. It sounds like Rollins has been pretty consistent since I was dealing with those students in the 80s and 90s. The vast majority have a very inflated sense of self.

However that paper you get from the place does have value compared to other institutions. The reputation of Rollins College opens up doors.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I used to go by Rollins all the time, on my bicycle in the early 60's. Winter Park was always much more sophisticated/upscale than the big Zero.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CWR67:
However that paper you get from the place does have value compared to other institutions. The reputation of Rollins College opens up doors.

How so if I don't act like a pompous, arrogant ass like the others there?

posted Hide Post
Because Rollins has the reputation of being a prestigious institution with HR departments and employment recruiters. They don't know yet that you are a normal person and not an entitled ass. :-)

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Somehow I think you'll find a way. Big Grin

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Be careful it doesn’t rub off on you

The most pompous thing I read in your story was “I have MBA after my last name....”

I get what you’re saying. But some of what you’re getting may be insecurity, which is magnified by working with someone a lot older and with a lot more experience

I went to law school under similar experiences to you...military, already a masters degree, much older than them”kids” right out of college. Some of those kids have become lifelong best friends.

I will second the MBA after my last name comment. That statement is pompous as all hell. I have an MBA and an MS in Cybersecurity; there is no way I would ever bring that into a conversation in the way you did. Just do your work and learn and don't worry about what other people are doing.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So I’m going to sound like an a-hole, but as a business owner/lawyer...

Unless that MBA is a masters in accounting and you’re a CPA, I don’t care.

No one does. It’s only useful if you have the experience to prove you can manage people.

Maybe some use if it’s in finance, especially if it’s paired with a JD.

As for the school you mentioned- there are lots of, especially regional, “prestigious “ schools, no one cares about, that are expensive.

It might help you network locally, but you want to impress someone with a business degree, not accounting, and this pains me as an Aggie, it pretty much has to be Wharton, Princeton, USC, Harvard or Columbia.

Economics from University of Chicago is also impressive.

Otherwise, I’m presuming you got a party degree - not a bad thing, if you also took sports management courses, and seem well-socialized and intelligent and someone who will be nice to see Monday mornings, but the degree is irrelevant

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
This whole shit fest has me thinking if I really want to live in Orlando. There are obviously good jobs here because the prices of homes are insane, especially the ones I used to build for Lennar. Homes were starting at $400,000. I know not everyone can be a business owner, doctor or lawyer. So where are these good jobs at? But these days it's about "networking", can't just apply and let your resume do the talking.
Do what everyone else does - get your credentials, then move wherever you can get a job that will allow you to gain experience / grow / move up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I’m going to sound like an a-hole, but as a business owner/lawyer

^^^^^^^
Agreed now my two cents.

You are no more likely to get a corner office with a private degree than a state sponsored school. No one cares where I got my degree. They notice the diploma on the wall make a remark and go on. It does open doors with fellow alums and I get preferential treatment with Football tickets. In my area the folks with the Ole Miss degree get some perks, but the best engineers go to Miss. State and not Tulane or Ole Miss. GA tech is in demand here, but a chemical engineering degree with top grades from Alabama opens doors because they are in demand now.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That's a really weird coincidence.

I know a few Rollins graduate students who were telling me the other day about this asshole Army captain who thinks he's hot shit because he has an MBA. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
You heard that too?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post