Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sonic Booms Login/Join 
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted
I just moved to a small acerage in very rural south-central Missouri. About 11:00 in the morning I heard a very loud boom. I looked up and saw what looked to be a fast moving aircraft.

I thought that planes weren't supposed to exceed Mach 1 while over the continental U.S. Any aviation experts know anything about this?

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are generally restricted to higher altitudes or to MOAs, but not prohibited over the entire continent

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Oh how I love the booms! Every once in a while here where I live in VA, we get a zoomie doing what zoomies do best. Every time I hear one, I go out to see it, but alas, he's probably in the next state already.

Back in the 80's we'd get them at least 1-3 times a week (sometimes multiple jets) and it was so cool watching and listening. In Iraq, I would tend to stop what I was doing (if not mission critical) to watch the USAF go screaming by in awe. Always wished I could be the pilot!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very rural South-Central Missouri.....could it be some Revenuers blowing up a still? Wink

There is a Military Operating Area in the general location you describe (Truman MOA). There might have been an inadvertent super sonic episode while the aircraft were maneuvering.

Whiteman AFB T-38's use Truman extensively for training. You may see a B-2 using the MOA as well.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Whiteman AFB is in that area.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...teman_Air_Force_Base

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite things living in Klammath Falls, OR was every 4th of July the F15 flying down the lake (about 25 miles long) and going vertical at the south end to start the celebration. Everyone could feel the sonic boom.

Second best thing was parking at the end of Kingsley Field watching them do touch and go's.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Heard them all the time as a child in kindergarten; Texas. Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Heard them all the time as a child in kindergarten; Texas. Smile

All those re-fried bean burritos

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

Whiteman AFB T-38's use Truman extensively for training. You may see a B-2 using the MOA as well.

Probably this. I've heard one once here in Springfield and have seen multiple B-2s heading West/North.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought if I hear a sonic boom always is "go get that SOB".

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I'm very familiar with the Air Force bases in the region. The plane was traveling northeast to southwest, so I thought it might have been from Scott AFB.

It was pretty cool and I'm looking forward to hearing more in the future.

I did see a flight of B-2s taking off from Whiteman a couple years ago while I was driving to KC. That was awesome.

My favorite though was watching A-10 practice on the impact range at Ft. Leonard Wood. The sound of that Gatling Gun is like nothing else.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in small town Iowa (flyover country) grade school in the 50's we would often get sonic booms. Generally the teacher was more startled than the students but one time a very large window in our classroom shattered when there were multiple booms back to back. Several of my classmates needed to go and check themselves in the restroom.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
When the shuttle was still flying we'd get them all the time, usually very early AM wake up calls

kaaaaaaaaaabooooooooooooom!

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The sound of freedom

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I grew up near Fairchild AFB and Geiger Field in the Spokane area and when the F102s' and F106's were scrambling in afterburner over our house, 2 to 4 at a time, they would break the sound barrier and it would be the coolest thing a kid could experience.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Not sure of all the participants but used to lay on the beach between Bremerhaven and Cuxhaven. And watch the contrails and listen to the booms out over North Sea back during the eighties. Better than TV.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The last one I heard was the SR-71 passing over my house on its final record breaking flight as it was being delivered to the Air & Space Museum.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
The last one I heard was the SR-71 passing over my house on its final record breaking flight as it was being delivered to the Air & Space Museum.

As I recall, that was the last one I heard as well. I was at the start of the run, LA, CA.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
When the shuttle was still flying we'd get them all the time, usually very early AM wake up calls

kaaaaaaaaaabooooooooooooom!

Whenever I heard one, I knew I had three minutes to turn on the TV to catch a shuttle landing.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We used to get them up here back when the Concorde was flying. Occasionally they would fail to transition to subsonic far enough over the ocean and we'd feel the effects.

I remember on time it happened as I was walking between buildings in high school, I thought the IA building blew up!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post