SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Court nixes high attorney fees for wrongly convicted man
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court nixes high attorney fees for wrongly convicted man Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
RALEIGH, N.C. – A judge has thrown out a contract allowing lawyers for a man freed after 30 years on death row to claim a large part of his compensation for wrongful imprisonment.

Judge Terrence Boyle ruled Monday that Henry McCollum lacked competence to sign with lawyers currently representing him in a lawsuit against investigators who put him behind bars. The current lawyers are not the ones who helped free McCollum and his half brother from prison in 2014.

"Despite his desire to proceed for himself and manage his own affairs, McCollum continues to evince signs of being easily manipulated and a lack of understanding of his attorneys," the judge wrote.

A proposed settlement would have allowed the lawyers to claim $400,000 of $1 million in payments to McCollum and his half brother, Leon Brown, from the town of Red Springs and its investigators. Boyle denied that settlement in May, citing ongoing concerns about McCollum's competency. He appointed an advocate for McCollum known as a guardian ad litem.

The half brothers, imprisoned following the 1983 killing of an 11-year-old girl, were released in 2014 because of DNA evidence that pointed to another man. They were later pardoned. Both have low IQs, and their attorneys say they were scared teens berated by investigators and fed details about the crime before they signed fabricated confessions.

Boyle didn't rule on Brown's arrangement with the same attorneys, but he requested more information from Brown's separate legal guardian, who joined the civil case in 2016.

The judge indicated neither man validly entered the representation agreement they signed in 2015.

One of their lawyers in the civil case, Patrick Megaro, didn't immediately respond to an email Tuesday. The lawyers could appeal Boyle's decision.

McCollum's guardian ad litem, Raymond Tarlton, wrote in a July filing that Megaro helped steer the men into high-interest loans and other dubious financial arrangements that threaten their financial futures.

Separate from the civil lawsuit, Boyle's ruling revealed that McCollum says his lawyers claimed half of his $750,000 payout from North Carolina under a compensation program for wrongful convictions.

"The court concluded that there's no valid representation agreement, so the next step is to address potential claims to recover money that's been taken from him," Tarlton said by phone.

For his part, McCollum testified at an August hearing that he can handle his own affairs and trusts Megaro. He also said he was weary of the civil case and hoped for a quick resolution.

A Duke University law professor said it's not unusual for a judge to adjust attorney fees in lawsuits, but he's not aware of another wrongful conviction lawsuit in which a judge has had to intervene regarding the propriety of a representation agreement this way.

"This is unusual," said James Coleman, who leads Duke's clinic on wrongful convictions. "A lot of judges wouldn't do this simply because they don't want to intervene. I think Boyle was right to look at this."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
What is the world coming to when an attorney can't screw his client?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
What is the world coming to when an attorney can't screw his client?
But theys work reals hard for the monies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wait. $1 million for stealing 30 years of two men's lives? And then the lawyers wanted to take almost half of that?

Goodness. Seems these men have been getting screwed their whole lives. At least this judge finally went to bat for them.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The point was not whether the attorneys were being overpaid. It is whether the clients fully understood the arrangement, evaluate whether it was in their best interests or not, etc. Low IQ, 30 years in the can, maybe they lacked the ability to care for themselves and others around them, so appointing someone to act for them, is available.

What catches my eye is wrongful conviction, 30 years in jail, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the crooked cops and prosecutors from 30 years ago... what happened to them? Fuck it, they got their conviction numbers and are happily enjoying their pensions.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The point was not whether the attorneys were being overpaid. It is whether the clients fully understood the arrangement, evaluate whether it was in their best interests or not, etc. Low IQ, 30 years in the can, maybe they lacked the ability to care for themselves and others around them, so appointing someone to act for them, is available.

Evidently this is a half full/half empty situation for you and others.According to the article the judge ruled that the lawyers took advantage of the client and is looking into the same issue with the half brother. I respect your opinion on a lot of subjects but this isnt one of them.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
And the crooked cops and prosecutors from 30 years ago... what happened to them? Fuck it, they got their conviction numbers and are happily enjoying their pensions.

This is the most sickening part. Mad

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The paltry $1 Million for two stolen lives is a sick joke, in and of itself.

Thank goodness they were freed and pardoned in the first place, at least.

And those who did it to them... They ought to be jailed, themselves, even now.

It's sickening, the whole story.

But yes, it does seem this one judge is at least doing right by them regarding this issue.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
$1 million for 30 years. I'm sure they'll be taxed after the sharks take their cut (whatever that ends up being). These men have no job skills, no socialization skills outside of prison. Their families may or may not be around anymore. What are they supposed to do?

Why aren't all the cases where a conviction took place resulting from those cops and prosecutors opened up? If they screwed these two men over, it's not unreasonable to believe there are more who have been wrongfully prosecuted.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Evidently this is a half full/half empty situation for you and others.According to the article the judge ruled that the lawyers took advantage of the client and is looking into the same issue with the half brother. I respect your opinion on a lot of subjects but this isnt one of them.

I expressed no opinion on the question of whether the lawyers took advantage, because I don’t know enough about it. My attention was fixed on the appointment of a guardian ad litem, very unusual.

In going back, promoted by your post, I failed to see another very critical detail, 30 years not just in prison but on death row. Now it turns out they were not only not guilty, but entirely innocent.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Have the criminal prosecutors and law enforcement escaped justice through statute of limitations?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
they should imprison the cops and the DA

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
they should imprison the cops and the DA

From the story:

quote:
Judge Terrence Boyle ruled Monday that Henry McCollum lacked competence to sign with lawyers currently representing him in a lawsuit against investigators who put him behind bars.

There is no information about the circumstances were that were misused, withheld, etc. to produce the guilty verdicts.