SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How far can I go to collect a debt?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far can I go to collect a debt? Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
First of all, it's not a ton of loot, it's $161.12. The problem is it pisses me off because the lady never intended to pay. She has done this to a string of others as well.

I mowed her lawn while she was laid off of work with the promise of catching up.

Can I charge her with theft of services? Can I go to her job with an invoice marked "past due"? Can I beat on her door in the evening until she answers or calls the cops? If I sue her in small claims that's no guarantee that she'll pay but after that can taking her back be contempt of court for not paying in accordance with the judge's order? Anyone know the statute of limitation on such cases in PA?

If I didn't have to mow her neighbor I'd not think about it every week and get so pissed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0620256/

<br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23s014_111-king-of-the-ant-hill_sport" target="_blank">111 - King of the Ant Hill</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/epiccatfood" target="_blank">epiccatfood</a></i>

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by weekendshooter:
I don't know if theft of services fits. If you go into a restaurant, eat a meal and leave without paying, that is theft of services. You could check with your local magistrate. The civil route, small claims court is expensive, with you outlaying costs until a constable finally orders a sale of her property. Anything with a lien on it would be exempt. Good luck.

I hate to piggy-back off the OP too much, but I'm in a situation where someone owes me $2600. I do have a lien on the title for the property he was sold. Could you elaborate on anything with a lien being exempt? I've been looking at recourse as him not paying has cost me considerably at this point...

To the OP, I tend to agree with the above that the $161 may not be worth what it would take to get it, unfortunately...

In this context, exempt means that the property could not be taken by unsecured creditors. I'm not an attorney.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
How far can I go to collect a debt?

To the ends of the earth, but you'll get blisters.

I was arrested for harrassing phone calls once. Arrested! I didn't collect the 6 grand owed either.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post