SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How far can I go to collect a debt?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far can I go to collect a debt? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Life is too short. I've been screwed by people who owed me money and let it fester.

Consider the money lost to be cheap tuition at the School of Life.

One other thing. The best way I've found to not let anger "harsh my karma" is to pray for those who deceitfully use me...

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I just recently finished an eviction where I used an attorney who specializes in such things. The tenant was a pro who knew how to try and delay at every turn. At the end of it all, I had spent around $1400 in various legal fees, service, and court costs. The attorney is also a collection service, and pursues judgements for a 65/35 split. At the end of the garnishment, they file to amend the judgement to collect the 35%.

I take immense satisfaction in knowing that these guys will be chasing her for years. I'm not even all that concerned about the amount owed (>$6,000, after treble damages and all). I just love the idea that years into the future she will keep seeing wage garnishments showing up.

Just an observation...
We fuss about attorneys a lot, but when you get one that specializes in what he does and really knows the ins-and-outs of the system, it's like turning your dog loose on an ass-hat. It's good for the soul. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I'm a firm believer in Karma. She'll get hers, and you'll get yours.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
One of the nice things about being a lawyer is that I don't have to hire one to chase someone down using every resource available. I know what they are and I can do it in my spare time.

If I wasn't a lawyer, I wouldn't bother over $161. It's going to cost you much more than that in time, money, and frustration to do it right.

On the other hand, if it's a matter of principle, you might be able to find an attorney that will handle it for you for a flat fee. Based on what you've told us here (about her doing the same thing to multiple people already), I'd probably feel sympathetic and quote you a flat $500 start to finish. We'd both be losing money at that rate, but some people just have to be dealt with.

Otherwise, JHE is correct.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is there any way for a small businessman to ding the credit history of a deadbeat customer. There may have to be some preparation at the time of starting the account to allow this (thinking of getting a signed release to check and report credit.) If anyone knows, what beyond that is necessary?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
how big is the yard? Raise your rates, keep cutting her grass, write it off as marketing costs and put a sign in her front yard that has your mowing company on it.

If you dont care to mow in that area just write it off and let it go, i know easier said than done.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Nant have said it'll cost more to pursue than it's worth but aren't court fees won back in the case? I was told I could attach small claims filing fees to the total amount she owes.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a written contract some where?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
If I didn't have to mow her neighbor I'd not think about it every week and get so pissed.

Just make sure you don't blow any weed seeds over into her yard when mowing the neighbors. Big Grin Or your fertilizer spreader has a hiccup and throws a wad of fertilizer onto her lawn burning the grass or making it grow extremely fast. Eek

Or Round Up. Make sure no Round Up gets sprayed on her lawn or landscaping.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I think most of the responses to op are spot on, in most cases from their own past experience. I too have found myself in this position. When I was younger, I found it difficult if not impossible for me to accept this lesson. It had to ocurr to me in much larger amounts for me to change how I conducted my business. One might say tuition to that school of hard knocks is high.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Go spread a shitload of grass killer in crazy patterns all over her lawn.
Then you can laugh every time you cut her neighbors lawn Big Grin

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What is your time worth to you?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Mechanics lean?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Nant have said it'll cost more to pursue than it's worth but aren't court fees won back in the case? I was told I could attach small claims filing fees to the total amount she owes.

Yes but consider this, after a judgement, you have a piece of legal paper that says, you won congratulations, pay the attorney fees, pay the court fees, and well that's it, nothing more.

You still have a debt but now it's a $800 debt, if she won't pay $161 what makes you think she'll pay the judgement.

You get the opportunity to file the judgement against her credit file, yep, you get the judgement which is a moral win, but you will be a few hundred lighter in the wallet.

I'm not saying don't do it, but when you add up the lawns you can't service spending hours at the court house, and then on phones with agency/attorney you loose a lot more.

Pride can be expensive, I'd just warn everyone else, take the tax deduction and move on, cost of doing business.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Help, you say?

We've known each other many years, but this is the first time you ever came to me for counsel or for help. I can't remember the last time that you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let's be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And, uh, you were afraid to be in my debt. I understand. You found paradise in America, you had a good trade, you made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of law. You didn't need a friend like me. But, now you come to me, and you say: "Don Slabsides, give me justice." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me Godfather.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Costs of court can be recovered, but you have to pay up front, and risk that the judgment is uncollectible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
How far can you go? As far as you want to. The question you may want to ask yourself is: is it worth the time, effort, risk and stress/frustration to win a judgment and collect on it too? There's no right or wrong answer, just the one that you are willing to live with.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Nant??? Is that even a word? Autocorrect thinks it's better than "many".

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Mechanics lean?

If you catch those bastards leaning, get them back to work. Wink

An M&M lien is a possible option, depending on state law. The two questions to ask are concerning the time deadlines and whether this is lienable work. I bet it isn't in most places.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is there a written contract some where?

I don't think it matters.