SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How far can I go to collect a debt?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far can I go to collect a debt? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
First of all, it's not a ton of loot, it's $161.12. The problem is it pisses me off because the lady never intended to pay. She has done this to a string of others as well.

I mowed her lawn while she was laid off of work with the promise of catching up.

Can I charge her with theft of services? Can I go to her job with an invoice marked "past due"? Can I beat on her door in the evening until she answers or calls the cops? If I sue her in small claims that's no guarantee that she'll pay but after that can taking her back be contempt of court for not paying in accordance with the judge's order? Anyone know the statute of limitation on such cases in PA?

If I didn't have to mow her neighbor I'd not think about it every week and get so pissed.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't know if theft of services fits. If you go into a restaurant, eat a meal and leave without paying, that is theft of services. You could check with your local magistrate. The civil route, small claims court is expensive, with you outlaying costs until a constable finally orders a sale of her property. Anything with a lien on it would be exempt. Good luck.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Since you did work with promsise to pay, it is an "open account".

You can send her an "open account demand letter", and in most cases be able to charge late fees, interest and may help with legal fees, and it establishes demand.

Figure out what your state requirements are for the proper information in the letter.

Like you said, it may be futile, but it might be worth a shot, and if it gives you some satisfaction, there is that.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got a shovel?

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For that kind of money you'll never recoup it. Write it off as a bad debt (in this case it is picture perfect definition of a bad debt that can be written off) is the best advice both financially and spiritually.
The time it takes you to try to recoup it is better spent on something else. Going after her at this point would be for the sole purpose of vindication or retribution - neither or which will be as satisfying as moving on.
Let it go. Put it out of your mind. She has most likely spent her life and most likely will spend the rest of her life begging / borrowing / stealing.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always remember what "Sonny" from a Bronx Tale said....."fuck em, you got off cheap, it only cost you $20 to get rid of him. He will never be back in your life".
For $161 cut em loose.
Not worth the hassle imho.
Never have to do anything for them again.
Good lesson learned

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weekendshooter:
I don't know if theft of services fits. If you go into a restaurant, eat a meal and leave without paying, that is theft of services. You could check with your local magistrate. The civil route, small claims court is expensive, with you outlaying costs until a constable finally orders a sale of her property. Anything with a lien on it would be exempt. Good luck.

I hate to piggy-back off the OP too much, but I'm in a situation where someone owes me $2600. I do have a lien on the title for the property he was sold. Could you elaborate on anything with a lien being exempt? I've been looking at recourse as him not paying has cost me considerably at this point...

To the OP, I tend to agree with the above that the $161 may not be worth what it would take to get it, unfortunately...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I didn't have to mow her neighbor I'd not think about it every week and get so pissed.

Just make sure you don't blow any weed seeds over into her yard when mowing the neighbors. Big Grin Or your fertilizer spreader has a hiccup and throws a wad of fertilizer onto her lawn burning the grass or making it grow extremely fast. Eek

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
collection actions take time and money. she knows that. you'll have to decide if it's worth pouring good money after bad.

that said, does she own the home? If yes, see if you can file a lien.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
No good dead goes unpunished.
People with bad credit and no money have it for a reason. They have all sorts of excuses and every now and then one is actually true. Most are not.
I have a few mementos hanging in my office to remind me of things I did that I shouldn't have done.
Take a picture of her front yard and hang it up to remind you next time. Don't waste any more time on this one.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
And on the next Judge Judy ... Razz

quote:
Can I charge her with theft of services?

That will most likely be a civil matter. In my business, people have taken their cars without paying for the repairs. (A funny story on one particular incident for another time.) There is no crime because they can't steal their own cars, even if our parts are on them. It may cost you more than $161 to file a small claims court case. Maybe you can write it off on your income tax as a bad debt, non payer or something.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Let it go. Put it out of your mind. She has most likely spent her life and most likely will spend the rest of her life begging / borrowing / stealing.

Great advice.

I know it's a tough pill to swallow because I'm like you. It would really burn me - not the money, the scammer mentality. But dusty3030 is right on. Put it behind you and don't let it eat at you.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
If I can't collect, can I embarrass her socially so that no one else gets duped? Basically make it known that she doesn't pay her bills?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
For $161 cut em loose.
Not worth the hassle imho.
Never have to do anything for them again.

That's probably the best advice....

quote:
Can I go to her job with an invoice marked "past due"? Can I Can I go to her job with an invoice marked "past due"? Can I beat on her door in the evening until she answers or calls the cops? If I sue her in small claims that's no guarantee that she'll pay but? If I sue her in small claims that's no guarantee that she'll pay but

1. Don't go to her employer. They don't owe you the money.
2. You can beat on her door in the evening until she answers or calls the cops... but it won't accomplish anything and may end badly for you.
3. If I sue her in small claims that's no guarantee that she'll pay but...

But nothing. This is your only option. Either write it off or take her to court.
Chances are, she won't show. You will win a default judgement but be prepared to offer the judge a detailed list of the charges, including your court costs.
If you get a judgement, and if she's still employed, then you can then apply to garnish her wages. But... that's another process.
Collection after judgement isn't always easy.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Keep sending her a statement every month with late charges. If she never pays you when it's time to file your taxes write it off.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Do you have a godfather?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
If I can't collect, can I embarrass her socially so that no one else gets duped? Basically make it known that she doesn't pay her bills?

Don't stoop to this low. Just move on- better not to do anything that can come back to bite you in any way.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you're in the neighborhood reasonably frequently doing the neighbor's lawn, catch the next guy she 'hires' as he's about half way through, let him know how she stiffed you and perhaps he'll be inclined to pack up - leaving her w/ a half-mowed lawn...that looks nice.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Depending on your state, you can put a lien on the home and/or you can assign the debt to a collection agency.

These could affect your customers credit score......if they care.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Don't stoop to this low. Just move on- better not to do anything that can come back to bite you in any way.
Is it stooping? I have friends that also mow in the area (we don't compete) and they will eventually get a call from her.