SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whole home surge protectors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whole home surge protectors Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
We have a brand new HVAC system and it went offline for about 30min after a lightning strike yesterday. This thing has all kinds of freaking sensors in it. Luckily it came back online, but not without hesitation.

It got me thinking about these “whole house” surge protectors. The local repair people want crazy amounts of $$ for these things. I briefly googled the units and they are not *that* expensive. What’s to keep me from buying a nice unit and paying a service company to just install it? Seems that would be a lot less money.

Also, can someone recommend one (the surge protector)?

Thanks guys!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I like these: https://www.amazon.com/CHSPT2U...e%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-3

A local electrician should easily be able to install it for you. But there is no surge protector that is going to protect against a direct lightning strike.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sure, I wouldn’t expect anything to protect from a direct strike..

Thanks for that link!

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I like these: https://www.amazon.com/CHSPT2U...e%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-3

A local electrician should easily be able to install it for you. But there is no surge protector that is going to protect against a direct lightning strike.

Those are also the ones I recommend. Read the fine print though, the equipment protection coverage will almost never reimburse you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Any idea how long of a job this would take an electrician? Everyone is all mysterious when a try to get an idea of labor...

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have had one ever since I had our service upgraded from 100A to 200A. I know the protection it offers is limited, but, with all the electronics scattered all over the home (now incl. our well pump's controller), it does give me some peace of mind.

TBH: The bigger threat to your shiny new AC system is more likely power sags than surges. Whenever the power around here gets wonky (flickering, sagging), we turn off everything that drives a compressor until it settles-down again.

quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Any idea how long of a job this would take an electrician? Everyone is all mysterious when a try to get an idea of labor...

It goes on the mains, going into your distribution panel. They'll probably want to pull your meter to do it. Skins will have a better idea, but I can't see more than a couple hours, tops.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:

An hour or less. You don’t need to pull the meter to install one.

———————————————

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir

That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
My electric co-op just installed one at the meter this week. I don't know if its as good as what you guys posted from amazon. (I would be interested to hear though...)

It was $200 installed and came with a box of surge protection for indoors. 5 or 6 different ones. I looked up each and they would have cost $150 by themselves.

ETA, the power was off for 5 minutes and it took him 20 total- INCLUDING verifying that the house was properly grounded.

Maybe check with your electric company?

ALSO- I AM NOT AN ELECTRICALIST. Smile

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If you want one that actually has warranty coverage you need to step up to this: https://www.amazon.com/Interma...d=1593794791&sr=8-12

The user-replaceable modules are nice because you don’t need to replace the entire unit for lightning strikes and other surges. This one obviously would take another hour of labor to install.

———————————————

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I bought and installed those exact ones Skins recommendation after moving to a rural area with frequent power glitches (compared to my old house in the city). I used two because I have parallel 200 amp panels for a 400 amp service, so I placed one on each panel. Also, on the recommendation of my AV guy I added a good protected power strip on my electronics, and still unplug them for severe storms.

Really about all you can do besides pay the preacher. Big Grin

Just remember to follow the recommended install instructions.
Close to the Main breaker as possible (I had to move some breakers around to accommodate them at the closest location to the main) Also cut the leads short as practical. Those units are sealed and don't require a mounting box. I did not buy the over-priced trim covers for them as it is not required and mine were in the garage anyway so I just cut the paneling close to fit. They need their own dedicated double pole breaker, not supplied.

You have no idea if they are working or not but they do have pilot lights on them that show they are good working order and they turn red if they are damaged and need replacing.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We have this one.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^ The Siemens is another good one. It is actually better than the Eaton because it takes more abuse than the Eaton, it’s just that homeowners typically balk at the higher price (They have lowered the price though. They were over $200 recently). I’ve installed that exact one in commercial/industrial applications but none of the Eaton except in homes.

———————————————

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys very much. As always, your knowledge is invaluable. I have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday and am leaning towards the Siemens unit.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If you go the Siemens route, get the FS140: https://www.amazon.com/Siemens...s%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-1

———————————————

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Will do, I’m about to order it.

quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If you go the Siemens route, get the FS140: https://www.amazon.com/Siemens...s%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-1

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The one I posted (pix above) is the FS140. It cost me $100 to have in installed the same day I got it delivered. Installation took about 15 minutes.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

8 minutes. Plus time to rearrange breakers if needed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The Siemens unit is on the way! I’ll try and remember to post back what labor is/was next Tuesday. Thank y’all again.

posted Hide Post
What brand is your electrical panel?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post