SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheetrock question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheetrock question Login/Join 
posted
I have removed the wallpaper in my kitchen and will have the walls painted. The contractor I am using tells me that the sheetrock needs to be mudded several times and sanded in between coats. A friend of mine told me today that it could be wet sponged in between coats and there would be no need for sanding. My biggest concern is the potential mess it could make in the kitchen if the sanding technique was used. After the mudding is done, primer and two coats of paint would be applied.
Would the wet sponge technique be less messy and produce a satisfactory result?

Thanks

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
using a wet sponge will give the same effect as sanding...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I have removed the wallpaper in my kitchen and will have the walls painted. The contractor I am using tells me that the sheetrock needs to be mudded several times and sanded in between coats. A friend of mine told me today that it could be wet sponged in between coats and there would be no need for sanding. My biggest concern is the potential mess it could make in the kitchen if the sanding technique was used. After the mudding is done, primer and two coats of paint would be applied.
Would the wet sponge technique be less messy and produce a satisfactory result?

Thanks

Not sure anyone can answer this without seeing your walls. Also, it's not that hard to take measures against drywall dust.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If your contractor is doing the work and assures you that the dust won't be an issue then I'd let him do it however he wants. He should be cleaning it up. If you don't trust him to then I would be using a different contractor.

I have done drywall and I sanded but I was in the basement without carpet so the dust was less of a concern. I do most of the work on my house and when I do I usually look for the most efficient way to do things which may include some newer techniques. However when I do hire and contractor I let them decide how they want to do things so long as I am confident that the end result is the same. I would prefer a contractor sand if he is comfortable with that method, and then clean it up, instead of forcing him to use another method he may not be as comfortable with.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
using a wet sponge will give the same effect as sanding...

Correct but I would still do some sanding.
Yes there is a lot of dust when you sand.
Sponging will help but some sanding is still needed.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Often after wallpaper is removed you need to put a skim coat on the wall. This will smooth it out and get rid of any damage done when removing the wallpaper.

A good skim coat shouldn't need a lot of sanding although they will have to sand the entire wall.

Ask them if they can use a sanding machine. They make them that connect to a vacuum. Great for walls and ceilings. Corners will still have to be hand sanded. They should also be able to section off the kitchen with plastic. Turn off the HVAC when they are sanding also.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Good point on HVAC. And kill the breaker to the fridge. You dont want that dust coating your condenser coils when the fridge kicks on. Tenting the work area with plastic and a box fan blowing out a window will keep that awful mess confined within the tent.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
If you do the box fan in the window, don’t be a rookie, remove the screen too!!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sanding is not necessary,mud the tape joint,next day use 8 inch trowel,next day use 12 inch trowel scrapping the turds off each time prior to applying mud.
Best to buy good quality mud that comes in box like Rudd brand.
The big box stuff is shit,requiring to be power mixes with drill and paddle bit
Then wet sponge with wet sponge..
Be sure to prime the rock before painting to seal from bleed thru
If that is too much work for you ,hire some pro's.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post