SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paul Joseph Watson on tattoos
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paul Joseph Watson on tattoos Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Not really. Just sounds touchy about his tats.

Cute, but no. I only have a few small ones that aren't very obvious, and I've never once experienced someone giving me grief over them, including my decidedly conservative parents and various friends who aren't into them, or even the fine folks in Japan who are supposedly notoriously disapproving of them.

Rather, comments like the one I responded to simply remind me of how ridiculous some people are about such inconsequential things that other people do to their own body, things and opinions which are entirely subjective. We may as well argue over favorite salsas...

Somewhat ironically, the thing I'm probably the most intolerant of in this life is the obscene intolerance and ignorance I hear coming from others when it comes to this and a few other topics, and it's certainly a fault of mine to let such moronic nonsense drag me down into the depths of silly bullshit with them, but we all have our burdens we carry and that's one of mine. I do work to contain my unapologetically contemptuous attitude about such things and people, but I'm not always successful.

c'est la vie

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
I also wonder what a holocaust survivor thinks of them.

Interesting question. I have only known one holocaust survivor for any period of time in my life. We never spoke directly about tattoos although we discussed her numbers once and the tattoo certainly seemed the least of her worries. The most tragic part was that when anyone asked her about her tattoo she would say Auschwitz first and with most emphasis she would
then state "Gypsy..not a Jew"! with a heavy Hungarian accent. She didn't say "Romani" or "Roma" but "Gypsy". I am convinced that she was a Hungarian Jew who lost her whole family to Auschwitz and later married a U.S. Soldier in a Catholic wedding. Being Jewish didn't work out too well for her so she decided she wouldn't be.
She was one of the coolest people I ever met.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
As for fads, humans have been tattooing themselves for a little over 5000 years now.

Some of y'all should really get out of the house more, make some new friends, travel a bit, heck - maybe even go a little crazy and make a friend that's different from you. You might be surprised to find that normal, sane, friendly, patriotic, hard working, good people who are successful in life come in many colors and flavors and styles. Don't be scared, it's easy.

(eyeroll)

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
I did 25 years in the U.S. Navy and no Tattoos. Yes, I'm that guy.

Me too. Never even tempted...

Me 3 I hate them and would never have one

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Who the hell wants to go around the rest of their life looking line a coloring book.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
As for fads, humans have been tattooing themselves for a little over 5000 years now.

Some of y'all should really get out of the house more, make some new friends, travel a bit, heck - maybe even go a little crazy and make a friend that's different from you. You might be surprised to find that normal, sane, friendly, patriotic, hard working, good people who are successful in life come in many colors and flavors and styles. Don't be scared, it's easy.

(eyeroll)

Careful, there with your assumptions/facts. I don't know how old you are, but I have lived long enough to remember when tattoos were very poorly recognized by the majority of Americans - especially on a woman. Indeed, tattoos used to be a sign of rebellion in this country. It has only been a "trendy" thing to do for the last 20 - 30 years.

I'm not going to roll my eyes at you - you might actually be too young to remember such things.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have one. It’s not from my Navy service or my time playing rock music. It’s a single dot slightly above my stomach that was administered by a nurse for the purpose of aligning the machine that administered radiation treatments 20 years ago.

Before I retired, when the cute girls at the bank, who all seemed to have a tat or two or three, asked me if I have any. I could truthfully tell them I had just one but it was a secret as to the location.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
About that 5,000 year history of tattoos...

That may very well be the case for Australian aboriginals, as well as Polynesian/Australasians, but tattoos in the western world are barely a century old.

My philosophy on them is simple - I’m not anyone else’s property or an inmate, and I’d rather not brand myself. If others choose to do so, so be it; people make wise, and moronic decisions regularly without my input. Smile

That being said, for my particular cultural background tattoos are considered very low class (socioeconomically speaking). Just an FYI.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I like to mix things up a bit and try to create some special meanings. I have a tattoo of a penis on my forehead and a tat of a forehead on my penis. It's not until people really "get to know me" that things start to make sense. Then it's like, "Whoa...that's heavy, dude!"

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tattoo related war story:
I was cruising past our biker bar and discovered a small crowd watching two chicks fighting. After calm was restored, I made a serious error: I asked what the girls were fighting over. They told me it was a disagreement over who had the best tattoo. They asked me to be the final judge and to my regret, I agreed. Both of them whipped up their t-shirts. It was all about tit-tay tattoos.
One demure young lady had Harley over her left mammary and Davidson over her right. Contestant number two had "Hot" over the left and "Cold" over the right.
I voted for hot / cold on the basis of style, execution and originality.
This was not a contest from prizes. It was for pride of ownership.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
@synthplayer

Are you seriously unaware that kings, queens, notable US Presidents and world leaders, and a myriad of others who are anything but children or despots or trash or whatever other derisive characterization gets thrown around have had tattoos for even longer than you've been alive, too, old timer... Smile. What are you, 60 or something? 70 maybe? I'm approaching 50, myself, fwiw, having been all over and speaking from ample experience.

Could you literally look Churchill or Barry Goldwater in the eyes and give them shit about tattoos with a straight face? Regardless, you misunderstood my statement in the first place. Someone else was claiming they're a trendy fad, to which I replied - no they aren't, they aren't a new thing or a fad at all, humans have been tattooing themselves for more than 5000 years... nothing that's been happening for 5000 years is a fad... It's the very antithesis of a fad... Is it more popular now than in other periods, sure, it's cyclical like so many things, but they're even more popular lately because fewer people have silly antiquated ideas about them. Freedom/personal choice are good things. And it affects you 0%.

And short of a few jobs where I guess it might could actually matter in some functional or material way, it doesn't matter at all in the vast, vast majority of jobs, not does hair style or color and so on. I've seen this all over the US and world at all levels of income and success, and if you don't think prude attitudes about tattoos are a niche and dying breed you're woefully mistaken.

Live your life however you want, of course, but it's a silly old opinion in any case and is so cluelessly Mayberry-esque that the ridicule comes easy, and one of my faults is making fun of that sort of thing sometimes. I find it ludicrous to judge people based upon such things and so grotesquely out of touch with reality that I'm caught between feeling bad for the haters, wanting to make fun of them, and feeling like I should point out how ridiculous they're being in the rare event they actually care about not sounding and being so silly.

Mostly I keep it to myself. We'd all be better off if more did the same, I suspect.

You'll note the lack of eyerolls, as mine weren't aimed at any particular person but the idea.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

That may very well be the case for Australian aboriginals, as well as Polynesian/Australasians, but tattoos in the western world are barely a century old.

My philosophy on them is simple - I’m not anyone else’s property or an inmate, and I’d rather not brand myself. If others choose to do so, so be it; people make wise, and moronic decisions regularly without my input. Smile

That being said, for my particular cultural background tattoos are considered very low class (socioeconomically speaking). Just an FYI.

Tattoos were popular amongst upper class people in the Victorian era.

At least one King of England, Winston Churchill and his wife, IIRC, a few US Presidents of old, Thomas Edison I've read, etc. Those white enough and old enough for you?
Just an FYI.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
None here, but if I ever did get one, I'd shave my head and have an brilliant American flag tattooed on the back of my head. Then I'd let the hair grow back. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Did we all watch the same video?

I'm familiar with this man, and he's insightful. He's also made a business out of being provocative.

The video I watched, targeted vapid idiots who pick designs off of walls, or don't check spelling, grammar, or translation.

The people he is railing against, are not model representatives of the tattooed population.

I have tattoos. My first was in lieu of a wedding ring. I don't like jewelry, but particularly rings, as I work with my hands, and go ahead and google "degloving."

My other tats memorialize friends and family.

Do I judge people who have tats? Yes, when they are shitty, and on the neck/face/head.

Do I judge people for not having tats? No, as I don't appear to have tats to anyone who hasn't seen me naked.

People who don't have tats, are not better than people who do, or vice versa. Based solely on the presence or not, of ink.

Judging someone on the quality and placement of a tattoo, is something we all do. As well we should.

Tattoos indeed have become more mainstream, and really, it's a good thing because idiots and nuts will often self identify. It is still only one piece of information about someone, when you evaluate their appearance.

The people he is actually after, in this video, deserve it. Idiots, who have shit tattoos.

We all get tattoo or don't, because we understand that they communicate something to others. Whether we are concerned about what society thinks, is individual.

If someone chooses not to know me because of any part of my appearance, that's fine, they've saved me the effort of sorting out their judgey ass.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with Arc on this one. The video didn’t offend me in the least, nor any of the comments. My wife and I have one tattoo each. Original art, well applied that means something to us. If someone else doesn’t like it, that’s cool.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Tattoos were popular amongst upper class people in the Victorian era.

At least one King of England, Winston Churchill and his wife, IIRC, a few US Presidents of old, Thomas Edison I've read, etc. Those white enough and old enough for you?
Just an FYI.

I never mentioned anything about “white”, and only discussed my cultural background, which for your edification is Hispanic.

I stand by my assertion that tattoos, in THAT culture, are low class. Also, Churchill and a king or two may have had them, but nowadays an overwhelming majority of people with visible tattoos are not quite... Parliamentary material.

Listen, if you have tattoos that’s fine. It’s a bell curve, you are most likely an outlier (hell, just being a SIGforum member ensures you are an outlier in most groups, statistically speaking). That doesn’t mean one cannot make statements about the population that are, on the whole, broadly correct.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
You guys are funny...
I have no disrespect for those with tattoos, it's just not for me.

Art wise, I've never been pleased with a design as-is and would always want it improved.

That being said, I do like the old school nautical tats and friends who have been in SF service do have sleeves and meat-tags that's their prerogative.

Now, my nefarious side tells me... why would - want a readily identifiable mark on my body?

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
You guys are funny...
I have no disrespect for those with tattoos, it's just not for me.

Yes - this is me, too. I really harbor no disrespect for anyone who has a tattoo. Our own Roland Kraps has an excellent tattoo of the Ruger "R."

But, it's just not for me.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

snip

Otzi the 5000 year old ice man found in the Italian Alps had something like 61 tattoos. The Celts and others including Native Americans regularly sported tattoos. It has been common for as long as people have been alive all over the world although the reasons culturally have been myriad. Winston Churchill was mentioned earlier but his mother also had a tattoo. In England it was made more of a fad in the 19th century by the rich. The poor followed suit and eventually the well off stopped and the perception that it was a low class thing persisted but originally it was very posh.

One can argue whether anything is an art form or not. For what it's worth I personally feel that PJW is not completely off. I can't imagine ever having a cartoon character tat. I feel that's a stupid choice and undoubtedly that tweety bird will look more like a pterodactyl when you're 80. I just calculated the worth of my opinion concerning tats though and found it to calculate out to be exactly fuckall.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I want to get a green star on my belly.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post