SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of baby snake is this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of baby snake is this? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm thinking a baby bull, but the way it was posturing and striking at me I'm not so certain. The markings don't really look rattlerish, but...?

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Not a rattler. They look like tiny rattlers.

Could be a bull snake. Hard to say without some expertise.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
the eyes don't look like slits, so it's not venomous as far as I can tell. to me it kinda looks like the Western Terrestrial Garter? I looked up a couple snake ID sites... that's my guess.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
They make the best kind of pet. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ntn8yfOmIA

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Looks like the gopher snakes we have around here. I understand there are different varieties in different locales. But ours exhibit the diamond-like pattern and aggressive behaviors you describe.

Here's an adult Sonoran Gopher snake, native to this area. They will coil up and hiss and strike at you, but they are remarkably good pest control.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a snakes of Montana poster on this page.

http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/snakes/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a garter type snake display that aggressive behavior though.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Immature Gopher snake

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
round eyes and round head usually good, right?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those are both good signs, unless of course, it's a coral snake in drag...

Can't tell in this mixed up time in which we live! Wink

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
[quote]What kind of baby snake is this?[quote]

A cute one.

That's good to know about the eyes and head. We don't really have venomous snakes around here, but if we did I would probably pick one up and die since I can't tell the difference.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've never seen a garter type snake display that aggressive behavior though.

I've been bit by several of them, even pet store ones. lol

They also throw up on you. Eek

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’d call it a bull snake. Part of their defense mechanism is to having markings that are similar to a rattler’s and to display aggressively when they feel threatened. He’s a good one to have around.

They can scare the beejeezus out of you if you’re walking along, head down, and find one just a step away—in the Arizona desert. Yeah, there’s a story, just like that

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got hammered pretty hard in the web of my hand between the thumb and forefinger by an adult garter snake in the midst of showing my youngest son how to treat them nicely, "Because theY are really gentle, good rodent control, and our friend!"...OUCH!

I was proud of myself for not following my distinct urge to throw the

bugger against the tree next to us Wink
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've been tagged by a Garter a few times. They can be aggressive. Venomous snakes in the US are very easy to ID. AFAIK, the only one that doesn't have a pit viper-style head is the Coral Snake, and then you have to know the "red and black, poison lack; red and yellow, poison fellow" adage. Pit vipers' heads are very triangular.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Do the immature ones also have the triangular heads like the adults do? That's always been my way of identifying the bad ones, but I don't know if that's true with the little guys too.

He does appear to have round pupils though, so I think I'm good.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Do the immature ones also have the triangular heads like the adults do? That's always been my way of identifying the bad ones, but I don't know if that's true with the little guys too.

He does appear to have round pupils though, so I think I'm good.

I came across a rattler den once and yes, the little ones look like their parents.

I'm going with the Bull snake guess. I had the crap scared out of me by one once while hunting. Coiled up and hissed like a rattler. The guy I was with laughed his ass off by my response and told me it was a Bull snake and that they are all bluff.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
None of the single ID points that people think distinguish venonmous from harmless snakes are definitive.

Vipers (rattlesnakes, cottonmouth, copperhead) have triangular heads. But so do some other snakes.

Slit pupils - a venomous snake can show very round pupils in dim light. Some harmless snakes will have slit pupils in bright light.

Round heads - in the US, venomous coral snakes have round heads.

None of the so-called telltale signs are foolproof, although they can be hints or things to consider in light of everything you can observe. As JAllen says, nothing beats knowing what you are doing, so unless you are very confident, just leave snakes alone. If you do they will generally leave you alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
It's funny that I've never been bitten by picking up a wild snake, but I was bitten by my daughter's pet snake.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I fail to see why people have “pet” snakes. No thanks.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post